Magic NTAG newbie

Ok I was able to configure a magic ntag chip as ntag216 and then write a record to it with my phone successfully… however… it seems @anon3825968’s apprehension may have some validity… it took me several attempts to get the record to write. Reading seems to be no problem once the record has been written, but writing took a few attempts.

1 Like

A very understated way of saying “oh fuck” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We talking like as fast as xNT or similar? If so I am back on board. I can write with an ACR easy for my application as long as the reads are near or just as fast as normal.

it seems to be just as fast… but i only have a couple phones to test with. we’ve shipped out some flexMNs already so I’m looking forward to hearing back from people trying it out.

1 Like

Sounds good enough for me. I’ll be in on the first batch with blinkies

Is it possible to share how you did it?
Wanna try to do it before my installation on Friday.
Also, any chance to configure it with the ACR?

To be honest, I’ve never done a sniff before on the proxmark3, but from what I could gather online, you try to sandwich the pm3 between tag and reader/writer for the transaction, then list the trace? That’s what I did for this screenshot, but if there’s a step I’m missing, just let me know, and I’ll redo it.

With everything I’ve written to the tag (text - including filling it to the brim, urls, vCards), it reads just as well and fast as my flexNExT did, so reading should not be an issue with it.

I’m still experimenting with writing using an ACR, but so far, nfcpy didn’t like the chip either.

1 Like

I find it easier to stack the PM3 on top of the transponder. That way, whatever needs to be talking to the reader is as close to it as possible to maximize coupling, and the PM3 picks up the stray signals.

what’s the range like for reads on your phone?

My pixel 5 has a notoriously difficult time reading small flex… but it can still read if it’s presented just right. My pixel 2 reads it just fine without much fuss.

1 Like