Magic NTAG vs magic 1k?

I was comparing The flexMN and flexMT to try and figure out which one fits me best, but my very superficial understanding of the 200 billion different NFC standards doesn’t help…
Here is what I think I understand:

The LF of both is identical?
Both HF are a ISO14443A chip with re-writable UID. Both can have NDEF written on them (with android).
The NTAG can emulate other chips but not mifare classic (only ultralight) and the 1k can only do mifare classic.
The Proxmark3 is mandatory for the writing the NTAG all the time.
The Proxmark3 is mandatory for the writing the 1k only for the UID (because gen1a).

So the flexMN is much cooler unless I need specifically a mifare classic 1k (which is the case :frowning: ) and either way I’m going to have to pay for a proxmark3?
:woozy_face:
How wrong am I?

The answer is staring you in the face: you need both :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes.

The next flexMN batch should come preconfigured as NTAG so you don’t need one for that, a flexMT with a gen2 M1 should also be possible (or you just have 1 wedge 1 disc) so no need for a PM3 there either.

But yeah you likely want all 3.

I think the M1s cant be read by most phones so a bad choice for sharing contact info, I think.

1 Like

Word of advice: the gen2 is highly brickable.

1 Like

The gen1 also, if you happen upon a malicious reader that detects magic commands…

1 Like

Hmm not to my knowledge: whatever retaliation the malicious reader might effect on the magic card, it might delete the data, but it won’t brick it.

But yeah, you risk detection from a magic chinese command-aware reader. I’ve yet to encounter one though.

2 Likes

So this is confirmed?

I need more hands 🥲

1 Like

You do have other body parts you know.
Just sayin’…

I recently found these which are gen2 with a one-time write UID. Very interesting. Best of both worlds?

Any chanche I can stack flexs? :joy::joy::joy:

If your reader does anticollision properly, it shouldn’t be a problem :slight_smile:

Hint: they mostly don’t :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, but I have one that does it very well and it works. Up to 3 dumb cards like the M1k, 2 for smarter cards, because the power requirements are higher.

1 Like

Is it tho?

If you mess up sector 0, it’s a goner.

If you mess up sector 0 in a gen1a, you issue the magic command and you rewrite it.

1 Like

Just a heads up, the next flexMN batch is going to be preconfigured as NTAG213 (the default option when using the magic write script on the proxmark3), so while you theoretically could get away with not having a prox for it, you’d still want one to be able to change that at least to a 216 (unless you don’t want the extra memory for some reason).

You’ll also (most likely) need it to write the ndef data to the chip itself - the only person whose gotten the flexMN to write from a phone is Amal, afaik. I’ve been strapped for time, but I’m cursorily looking into writing data from the ACR122U to see if that’s an option, but in either case, you’ll (again, most likely) need some sort of device other than your phone to actually write to it.

1 Like

:wink: https://cyborg.ksecsolutions.com/product/mifare-classic-compatible-1k-magic-uid-changeable-uid-gen2/

Not the same thing; to the Lab401 ones, you can only write the UID once (so its a gen2 OTW)

Sorry to insist but how about this? Is that right?
:pleading_face:
More precisely, I can’t put this on the MN, can I?

Summary

I know, just couldn’t resist. They’re sold cheaper for that reason.

We have their magic card list on KSEC Tagbase: Magic UID Cards List -