Magnetic implant

Hey guys. So I’m a new poster here and I’m currently in the process of getting my first implants. I’m having it done more out of frustration from always losing security tags than other reasons, but I am happy to be getting into it as it has interested me for quite some time. So along with 2 NExT chips (one for each hand but I don’t have questions about these, just something to consider that they’re gonna be in the webbing between thumb and forefingers as reccomended) and I’m getting a xG3 axially magnetized implant. Now my main reasons for wanting to get this implant is 2 fold.

1.) I am a chemist by trade and would very much like to be able to remove magnetic stirbars from flasks directly just as a small efficiency factor (once again always misplacing things) however I’m not too sure if it will be strong enough for that. Although the magnetic stirbars themselves also obviously have a field which could help lift it.

2.) I’m quite into outdoors-y stuff and being able to innately tell what direction you’re going in seems kind of neat to me. If it’ll ever be useful I don’t know but why not?

So my questions boil down to the following. It’s a pretty big implant and I’ve read that magnetic implants work well if placed in fingertip of the ring finger of the off hand and my main concern is breakage, as mentioned I like outdoors activities, one of the common ones for me is rock climbing, I’m just concerned with the size of the magnet and the fact it’s encased in glass that if I put too much pressure on it it will break. I know usually magnets are fine with it but in worried specifically because of the glass and the size of it and a foreign body reaction innawoods doesn’t seem that fun. If there’s any danger to that spot with the implant where else would you reccomend? I was thinking next best spot might be lateral to the proximal phalange on the ring finger toward the inside, but that was just my speculation. Something that definitely works in my favour for this is I have quite large hands, so the length of the last section of my ring finger as measured from the crease marks on the finger it’s just over 30mm (like 32 but for sake of argument it’s probably best to assume a bit shorter) I was thinking I could use it and perhaps put it on the lateral side of the distal phalange of my ring finger facing in again, perhaps close to or even under the nail bed to provide some robust protection.

I’d love to hear your thoughts back on this and apologies if this is a clone of some threads and for the length of the text.

So first, sadly it wont work as a compass that’s a while other thing

I haven’t messed with stir bars but I understand the concept, my magnet is fairly weak, but reacts quite strongly to other magnets, so this might work

The range might be the question though,
I’m sure if you ask nicely and provide data on the magnetic field of the stir bar someone far smarter on magnetic fields here, could probably calculate the distance at which the fields would interact

The glass is pretty strong, the running rule of thumb is about the time the glass breaks, your bone will break so it’s semi moot,
Also placement helps as, the more squishy the location the more it can move

to be clear, the glass is still just glass and not all that strong… but the real star of the show is the tissue surrounding it… it will buffer and disperse any blunt force coming in and mold around the glass tube. this is what gives the implanted glass tube such apparent strength, while outside the body (or implanted directly over bone) it is still quite fragile.

that said, there are many types of glass in use out there and it is definitely not all created equal… our glass is Schott 8625 VivoTag glass and is very strong and properly laser sealed that ensures minimal internal tension on the sealed end caps.

Check the testing page for more examples of what our glass can handle once implanted;

1 Like

as for the axial magnet lifting a stir bar… it is not the ideal magnetization but it should work pretty darn well with another magnet… especially if that magnet is pretty strong.

1 Like

Welcome @Boiledcabbages and I like your username!

Great choice

You are talking about two magnets, so yes, but, it could also repel (I assume the stirrer is axially poled also)
:magnet::left_right_arrow::magnet:

What continent / city do you live in?
The reason I ask, is, if you are willing to send a stir bar, I’m sure somebody here would be willing to test it for you…

You could do this if you had a :paperclip: with you and magnetised it etc.
here is a specific post, but the whole thread may be of interest.

We also have a few rock climbers here, but I can’t think of one offhand with a fingertip install.

Hopefully, somebody can answer this for you.

It is not

Not even close to some of the posts we have here

Ok perfect that’s good to hear. I knew my tissue would act as the main buffer but I was scared about some levering action that causes force multiplication, or something to that effect, then breaking the glass. But the testing page has put me much more at ease. Thank you very much

edit: While I’m at it do you have any data on how much tissue is necessary in an area to keep it protected? Since that’d be the main limiting factor were I to put it on my distal phalange. since I do think there might well be enough I do want to be as safe as possible about it.

provide data on the magnetic field of the stir bar

I would provide data if I could but honestly, I’m not sure if it’ll help all that much since their strength can vary quite a bit, from bad manufacture to high heat can make them quite variable. but I’m counting on them also being axially magnetized and hopefully, the fields will add together such that it’ll be able to support it (which I don’t think is all that wrong from some tests that I’ve run

edit: uploading some pics of a selection of stir bars f different sizes and manufacturers. My smallest is 5mm and has the weakest field. largest is 40mm, the other 2 are 20mm bars (my most commonly used) sizephoto_2021-05-12_09-33-18

it is not the ideal magnetization but it should work pretty darn well with another magnet

Yeah exactly my thinking about it was supporting the magnet at both ends is more important than just sheer lifting force. Granted that was just in my own very limited testing. I’m also counting more on the magnetic field produced by the stirbar itself

I see you replying there

You can’t post more than 3 posts in a row, so I will post this post so you can post your post, But I will have to pre-post your post or you won’t be able to post your post!
:wink:

FYI, You can edit and / or add to your follow-ups in a single post rather than multiple posts

2 Likes

Welcome, and I like your username!

Hehe tyty. It’s been my forum name for absolute years at this point.

Great choice

Thank you. I’m super excited to get started with it and will be keeping you guys posted. I will also post videos of the procedures, I’ve managed to convince a GP to do it since here are no trusted people in this country from what I can glean on the map.

I assume the stirrer is axially poled also

And a yes for this. It is why I’m optimistic even though I’m well aware it goes over the normal force limit.

What continent / city do you live in?

Cape Town, South Africa

here is a specific post, but the whole thread may be of interest.

Ahh awesome thanks man. I’ll throw it a look
I’m very happy to be part of the community. Everyone seems so happy to help here. Unlike most other forums, lmao

We also have a few rock climbers here, but I can’t think of one offhand with a fingertip install.

Ok so I actually went to the rock climbing gym and used the chalk to see where the most wear is occurring on my finger. Funny enough it looks like one of the fingers being used most. Especially the tip. So I’m quite happy I decided to look before implanting it. What I do see however is quite an open looking area on the lateral side of the 4th medial phalange (attaching image)

You can’t post more than 3 posts in a row , so I will post this post so you can post your post, But I will have to pre-post your post or you won’t be able to post your post!

Oh what a fractally nightmare, lmao. Thanks for telling me. I’ll keep it in mind for the future. And then just do multiple replies. I just need to format better then :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve used my XG3v1 through nitrile gloves to remove stirbars around 28mm, it’ll also remove the smaller ones. Side note: because the XG3v1 is stirbar shaped and polarized, you can really get the magnet gyrating if you get the speed on the magnetic stirrer.

4 Likes

Ahhhh awesome good to know. I’m very excited for it. Thanks for the info man

2 Likes

I wish.

I would have to reach through a foot of piss everytime. Nope. I will just use the rod, or accidentally flush it.

1 Like