Magnets in finger

Has anybody tried embedding Neodymium magnet powder inside silicone base? Like repeatedly growing a sheet of magnetic silicone by mixing silicone with small magnetic shards and repeating this while aligning those crystals with some giant magnet, and eventually coat the whole thing in an extra layer of silicone for security purposes.

1 Like

I can absolutely say that is not a good idea. There is zero advantage to using Neodymium in a powder form compared to a solid shape, and a tonne of health and safety hazards to having a powderized metallic substance of any kind implanted in you. Part of the reason the old gen silicone dipped implants work(ed) was because the solid metal gave structural integrity for the silicone, if you used a powder the main strength would be of the silicone…suspension itself, which would likely shatter or break given a strong impact, leaving you with a broken open pile of metal shavings potentially entering your blood stream. The newer generation TiN implants are infinitely superior to any of the silicone dipped implants, I can’t imagine a purpose for what you’re proposing, and definitely can’t imagine anything that would make the unbelievable health risk it would pose be worth it.

1 Like

Like a Nd Silicone suspension, not like a dollop of powder

I understand what you meant, there is just no practical benefit to doing it your way versus the current gen magnet implants. The powder suspended in silicone would have a very high chance of getting into your body if the silicone broke down, which would be super dangerous, and extremely hard to have removed. The magnetic strength would be much lower than an equivalent sized conventional implant, there are so many negatives and no positives to this method. It seems like you are trying to re-invent the wheel and replace it with a rectangle made of pudding.

2 Likes

yep. but what flavor of pudding?

Week old Haggis and Vegemite swirl.

That’ll give ya a sixth sense boy howdy!

1 Like

But is there some way to create a biocompatible, flexible, and stretchable directional magnet that allow a user to implant it?

Like if I want to do finger pushups or rock climb, and still be able to knife hand. A flexible material would also allow smaller incision sizes, and more activities by the user

No.

There is more to the strength of magnetic fields than purely the volume of the magnet. The strength of magnets is broadly in measured in “Mega Gauss Oesrteds”, with neodymium magnets you’ll often see a basic approximation of it’s strength listed as it’s “pull/lift strength” or something along those lines, which are not the same thing but we’ll pretend they are for a minute. A square magnet that is, lets say, 1cm x 1cm x 1cm has a volume of 1cc. The volume of that is the same whether it is squished, pulled, flattened, etc. The strength of that magnet however, does not say the same as you increase it’s area and flatten it. The strength of a magnet of identical volume modified by size/shape is not a linear scale.

The difference between a long flat magnet that is 10cm thick and one that is 5cm thick is a 50% difference in mass, but the thicker magnet could be anywhere from 160-180% stronger (depending on materials). The actual influence that your magnet will have on external ferrous metals/magnets depends on it’s magnetic field aka magnetic flux, which directly effected by the dimensions of the magnet.

Think of this magnetic flux as a big coating of jello around the outside of your magnet, that is an inch thick around it. As you stretch out the magnet lengthwise, this coating gets thinner and thinner and thinner. Suddenly an inch of jello that you could confidently stick a pencil into is now too thin to hold even a paperclip up. This is how the aforementioned lift strength of the magnet is ruined by you thinning it out to the point of flexibility you’re suggesting. The depth and strength of the magnetic flux can be decimated the more and more surface area you give a particular volume. The less “thick” a magnetic flux is around a given object the less effective it is especially for our purposes of lifting/magnetic vision. This also applies in reverse, two inches of this “jello flux” may have 160%-180% more strength than a flux one inch thick. This problem compounds even further when you talk about using metallic shavings, now all of a sudden that magentic flux jello is actually filling the spaces in between the bits, rather than going outwards and generating a field where you can sense distrubances and pick up coins and shit. (This is what some may refer to as undesirable.)

I think it’s awesome that you’re trying to come up with new ideas for the ways we can develop this stuff, but the risks, and lack of benefits (you should be able to rock climb with a magnet implanted as long as you didn’t put it in a dumb spot for no reason), just vastly, hugely outweigh any potential this may or may (definitely) not have. I worked for years as a backline tech and stage manager, I had to climb up many a scaffold to rig up lights and contort my hands in weird shapes, bumping it all along the way. If you have a concern about placement or potential for it to be damaged, speak with your local partner or ask questions on the forum. Personally, I have my magnet (which is a TiN coated one from Samppa) implanted in the meta carpals area (I prefer to call it my Karate Chop meat but so far science has turned down my request for it be renamed despite several strongly worded letters to Nasa). This has given me great magnetic vision, I can lift things up to and including a metal fork, and some guitars (usually single coil non humbuckers) make cool weird noises if I palm mute just right. Which is hard because it’s in my left hand.

My point is, I admire you for trying to re-invent the wheel, but strongly feel you should just take the existing wheel figure out a way to make it work for you.

Spinner rims maybe?

p.s. Apologies if this is disjointed, I’m at work and wrote this in several chunks (with jello in between them).

2 Likes