Magnets! Magnets! Magnets! šŸ§² ( R&D )

So, in the possibility of being attacked for ressurrecting an old thread. Iā€™ve been thinking about biomagnets a lot and, I donā€™t think we should be stopping R&D on magnets just because the TiTAN released. The TiTAN has the problem of being expensive and hard to manufacture. I donā€™t think thatā€™s necessarily a problem as Iā€™m willing to pay $600 in total for a sixth sense that will last theoretically forever but, that doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t think this forum can develop something that lasts a long time that has less mass, and is cheaper to produce. Iā€™ve been putting a lot of thought and research into alternative coatings for magnets and, I think I have some ideas. HDPE seems like a great coating but it theoretically only lasts 30ish years unless it has a very thick coating. So I started looking into other materials such as PEEK. PEEK is a little expensive but much cheaper than machined titanium and can be deposited onto the surface of magnets in all sorts of ways. Thereā€™s been a lot of research into biopolymers since this thread sorta died and I think R&D should never stop even if DT does have a pretty dope ass magnet atm. I mean letā€™s give Amal a new product to sell to us all.

2 Likes

My understanding is that this has been done before to make very thin underlying layers before applying something else. What I wonder is why we canā€™t keep going with this process until thereā€™s a sufficient coat of that alone. Too slow? Too uneven? Canā€™t build up multiple layers?

It seems like an issue with getting an even coating over the whole magnet and speed. Weā€™d definitely need to design a process for this but it seems like you could directly coat a magnet in titanium like this. Then you just have a smaller TiTAN.

We donā€™t do that here :slight_smile: zombie any thread, as long as itā€™s relevant!

The problem with PEEK and PEAK is the forming temperatures are high, ruining magnetic material (curie limit).

Again, high tempsā€¦ but also itā€™s not a hermetic seal. The particles do not bond together well at the atomic level, they just mash together, but that does not keep water out and bodily fluids will eventually attack it. This is exactly what we tried with the m31ā€¦ check the video about ā€œDT isnā€™t doing magnets anymoreā€ā€¦ I cover a lot in thereā€¦ and rest assured I spent tens of thousands of dollars working on magnet designs and coatings that all failed.

Thatā€™s not to say that more research shouldnā€™t be done. Titan is discontinued because of the expensive process to make it. Nearly all of the suppliers involved raised prices considerably to the point I couldnā€™t see making another batchā€¦ so research needs to continue.

3 Likes

Please tell me there enough Titan stock to last for me to get enough money together.

We have 2 left in stock at the moment :confused:

Welp. Guess Iā€™ll get whatever the next sensing magnet that comes out is. I am not gonna be able to get one for at least 2 weeks.

Sadness, much sadness. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

I cant speak on behalf of Amal, but I would GUESS that if you asked him really nice, he would PROBABLY put one aside for you for a couple/few weeks.

My guess is Now that you have brought the limited stock levels to the forefront, there wil be a number of people experiencing some FOMO.

images (1) (17)

1 Like

Definitely sad news. Was hoping to get one when I could afford it and the travel to Pineapple for the install.
Hopefully prices from the suppliers will go back down at some point and another batch could be made.

2 Likes

they donā€™t sell that quicklyā€¦ you should be able to get one :slight_smile:

I am looking for other suppliers, but I also think the solution is to attempt to bring more of this stuff in house, as much as possible anyway. Titan is not ā€œdeadā€ā€¦ just discontinued for now as I rework the problem.

9 Likes

I mean what do u need for the Titan? Iā€™m assuming the laser welding is the part thatā€™s the main problem? It seems like an expensive and niche process.

Is the magnet force pressed in the casing or does it fit in there with small tolerances?

Machining and welding and machining and magnetization with a lot of tossing around back and forth. Iā€™m on the case though.

The magnetic core is fit with tight tolerance. Itā€™s quite brittle though so you canā€™t press fit it.

2 Likes

Well I bit the bullet a little early. My wallet will hurt for a week but Iā€™ll be fine.

You shouldā€™ve felt the angst when we crowdfunded the first batch, and everyone was eating ramen noodles to make sure they got a place on the list.

3 Likes

Interesting. Does this imply a non magnetic rare earth core being magnetized inside itā€™s titanium casing? I wouldnā€™t have thought of that on my own.

1 Like

Yeah you canā€™t magnetize first, itā€™ll wreck the field when you weld it.

4 Likes

:magnet_titan:
:pbjtime:

1 Like