Melting flex implants

If I burn my skin over a flex implant, like at a grill, should I remove it?

If I have severe burns, what happens to the polymer? Does is melt into me like clothes, but from within me?

I think amal mentioned the heat of an autoclave would duck up the flex polymers matrix or something like this.
When does it get dangerous?

1 Like

Your skin has so much moisture that it acts like an ablative heat shield for anything underneath. The skin would have to be completely dried out and flaking away exposing the implant before I’d worry about the polymer.

2 Likes

If you have burns severe enough to even soften the polymer, you have other things to worry about than softening polymer.

FWIW, I did an experiment a while ago where I tried to get a (glass) implant hot enough to fail in a really, REALLY hot sauna. All I managed to do was scold my hand. My xBT reported a temperature of 41.5C. Barely warmer than usual.

2 Likes

There’s an interesting experiment where you heat a pan of water with ice cubes in it. You can barely get it past the freezing point until the ice melts. All the heat energy is used up causing ice to water transition.

The water in your body would do the same thing, but instead of ice to water, it’d be water to steam. You would have to flash boil your flesh before the implant could get hotter than the boiling point of water. (o.k., it’s got minerals in it, so just a little hotter than that).

My point is, if it will survive boiling water, it’ll survive any heat related event that happens to your body, up to the point of extreme traumatic damage.

Interesting note for those wanting to know more about what’s going on there, the pan experiment demonstrates the “latent heat of fusion” for water. That is, the addition of energy solely to melt the ice (solid —> liquid, with no temperature change).
The “boiling” of your flesh would demonstrate the “latent heat of vaporisation” which is the same process but moving from the liquid phase to the gaseous phase.
When water reaches 100degC any additional energy added is used up converting the water to steam, but the temperature remains the same. Only after all the water has been converted does adding more energy cause the steams temperature to rise.

1 Like

My most invasive injury was 2nd degree burn over my flex. :scream:
I found a hot skillet :man_cook: :point_right::fried_egg:
Chip was fine, but it made me think about potential harm that heat can cause.
So I tried the heat conductivity of pork skin. (I did not want to volunteer no more…)
You can fry it quite a bit in a pan and still keep your finger on the other side.
I.e.:

Edit: It is quite easy to screw up a chip without feeling any pain. See my example with the flash :camera_flash: =(

1 Like