Mifare Desfire (EV1) in a glass tube?

Hi Amal,
will you go for Desfire in a glass tube in the near future?
Frankly, I rather feel more comfortable with a small injection than with a 1cm cut and stitching together…
Best, Wolfgang

It is not likely. We have tested power transfer using 2mm diameter wire wound coil antennas and the coupling is just not sufficient. This has to do with the design of every reader antenna in existence… they do not use big cylindrical coil antennas, so the power transfer is crap. It’s enough to eek out a tiny bit of performance from low power simple chips like the NTAG216, but nowhere near enough to power a DESFire EV1.

We are exploring other more interesting chip types in glass, but the power issue will always be a limitation.

Also, we are working on a needle and sutureless close procedure for our flex line… it still won’t be as straightforward as our x-series, but it will be far less gruesome than a scalpel and sutures… and an added bonus, most people will likely not have any scar afterward!

This sounds great indeed.
What is your roughly estimated timeline?
I’m asking because I’m evaluating the best option for opening my house door right now, and if this comes in the near future I’ll wait for it probably.

If you have found a residential home door lock that can leverage the secure features of a DESFire EV1, please share! Everything I’ve seen just uses the UID.

Hi Amal

Any chance you could disclose some more info about the needle and sutureless close procedure you mentioned for the flex line, and perhaps any info about when it’ll be available? I’ve found myself really interested in the FlexDF, and would love to set it up to unlock my KeePass database. But as sputnik mentioned having a 1cm incision made in my hand along with a tool to seperate the skin sounds… Less than desireable.

The process is not fully tested yet… we will be releasing the new process soon though… likely with the launch of the VivoKey beta this fall.