Mifare Desfire (EV1) in a glass tube?

Hi Amal,
will you go for Desfire in a glass tube in the near future?
Frankly, I rather feel more comfortable with a small injection than with a 1cm cut and stitching together…
Best, Wolfgang

2 Likes

It is not likely. We have tested power transfer using 2mm diameter wire wound coil antennas and the coupling is just not sufficient. This has to do with the design of every reader antenna in existence… they do not use big cylindrical coil antennas, so the power transfer is crap. It’s enough to eek out a tiny bit of performance from low power simple chips like the NTAG216, but nowhere near enough to power a DESFire EV1.

We are exploring other more interesting chip types in glass, but the power issue will always be a limitation.

1 Like

Also, we are working on a needle and sutureless close procedure for our flex line… it still won’t be as straightforward as our x-series, but it will be far less gruesome than a scalpel and sutures… and an added bonus, most people will likely not have any scar afterward!

2 Likes

This sounds great indeed.
What is your roughly estimated timeline?
I’m asking because I’m evaluating the best option for opening my house door right now, and if this comes in the near future I’ll wait for it probably.

If you have found a residential home door lock that can leverage the secure features of a DESFire EV1, please share! Everything I’ve seen just uses the UID.

1 Like

Hi Amal

Any chance you could disclose some more info about the needle and sutureless close procedure you mentioned for the flex line, and perhaps any info about when it’ll be available? I’ve found myself really interested in the FlexDF, and would love to set it up to unlock my KeePass database. But as sputnik mentioned having a 1cm incision made in my hand along with a tool to seperate the skin sounds… Less than desireable.

The process is not fully tested yet… we will be releasing the new process soon though… likely with the launch of the VivoKey beta this fall.

Over at iamrobot.de they have a DESFire EV1 in a tube. I don’t know if or how they solved the issue.

I don’t know :frowning:

But intresting is, they don’t have it in an injector.

I have the flexDF in my hand :slight_smile:

it wasn’t really an issue that needed solving… the die chip fits into a 3mm glass tube… but the performance is pretty bad. it can work yes, but it’s a big glass tube and it’s pretty rough getting it in. in many cases, people want to use it with enterprise level access control systems etc. and the glass tubes don’t really work well with most enterprise readers like that because they are designed for cards… hence the new flexDF design… it’s sleeker and easier to install, but still has good performance with readers.

It depends, but if enough people think a glass encased xDF would be interesting, I can see about getting more made.

1 Like

I was also thinking that reading could be difficult, if the desfire chip is in a glass tube. When I see the performance of my flexDF implant this is incredible :slight_smile:

Just an update to this thread… we’ve solved the issue by jumping to the DESFire EV2… the xDF2 will be available, in 3mm glass, in about 60 days or so. Keep an eye on the website, and we will be better at posting new products to our social media channels as well like Instagram and Twitter.

2 Likes

How does the read performance of the DESFire EV2 compare to the xNT? Is it similar as it is a similar styled implant, or are there improvements which bring it closer to, say, the flexDF? :slight_smile:

It is similar performance to the xNT. However the xDF2 will be a 3mm diameter device. This is the minimum size we can make it since the physical silicon die chip is too large for 2mm glass.

Has there been any progress on the needle and suture less close procedure @amal?

Yes! We have had consistent success with a new 4g needle procedure and butterfly bandage close. Details coming soon.

2 Likes