Modified - a thread for everything bodmod-related

Completed sleeve on my left arm done by Lucky Matthews, @luckdangit on Instagram. First few sessions were done at Icon Tattoo in Portland, OR and the last two sessions were done at the Pagoda Tattoo Fest in Pennsylvania.

We’ve got one more session to do a full arm touch-up and get all the knooks and crannies - not sure when that’ll be since I have to fly out west, but other than that it’s totally done. I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out.

18 Likes

Super cool! I love it!

1 Like

Saw this really cool blackout scarification and thought of you @Coma any changes to yours?

5 Likes

Makes me think of @Backpackingvet more, I think they have a blackout section

1 Like

White ink / scarification on a blackout is one of the greatest stylistic combinations in tattooing IMO.

1 Like

Me too actually, and yes he does. Im gald you dropped an @Backpackingvet , we haven’t seen him for a little while, he was considering doing something similar.

EDIT
Well that didn’t take long, I found his post

1 Like

2 Likes

Quite a cool idea!
Mine is happy and calm, we did some re-cutting some time ago, so it still looks a bit uneven colour-wise… gonna post a picture when the redness near the wrist faded a bit more. But, compared to my chest, the scars are less “bumpy” - it is quite a subtle mod, I think. Aaaaand I love it :slight_smile:
Next thing is soon to come, though - in exactly one week, I’m getting a new implant :star_struck:

I think scarification looks even cooler on blackouts, simply because it won’t fade, the colours won’t blend, and it often has that nice three dimensional effect. White ink can be very interesting on its own or for little details, but for me personally, it doesn’t stand out enough when put over solid blackwork.

6 Likes

Hey folks!
Long time lurker & biohacker, first time poster.

Looking to see where I can realistically buy those glow-in-the-dark silicone bioluminescence implants, such as the one @Coma 's got.

I’m in the US, but able to get stuff shipped from pretty much anywhere. Google’s only coming up with results from crappy tabloid articles about some lady with light-up boobs.

3 Likes

Here is a link to Steve Haworth’s store - he sells a ton of silicon (glow in the dark included) implants.

Also, Gattoo Moreno is a traveling body mod artist who can do pretty much anything you could ever think of and has a lot of silicone in his portfolio.

4 Likes

… and of course, welcome!! :partying_face:

2 Likes

@biospoonie already linked the right shop - my implant is from Haworth, too, and I’m really happy with the quality. Gonna get another one tomorrow :slight_smile:

He’s doing a lot of interesting things… have you worked with him?
Honestly, I have some prejudices against traveling artists (not guest artist, but just people who don’t have any studio at all) - there are some not-so-good examples, and they can be a lot harder to reach if something goes wrong and you need someone to take care of you. And I’m still sceptical of those eyeball tattoos :smile:
But on the other hand, I know that such mods are just impossible (and simply illegal) in a lot of countries, so I guess travelling artists are a good workaround to that.

2 Likes

Not personally, but I met some folks at the last tattoo convention I was at who had good experiences with him.

That’s totally fair! I hadn’t thought about the “reachability” factor but that makes a lot of sense.

Oh me too - I have a mental “You do you, but fuck that.” list when it comes to body mods…eyeball “tattoos” are definitely on that list for me. Really, anything that involves altering an organ (skin excluded, I guess) scares the crap out of me.

Haha, yes, totally! I have two eyes which give me the ability to see - the risk of losing that is too much for me personally. They do look cool on some people, but the problem is, even if you visit the best available artist for that, the risk of going blind is still there… while for other “serious” mods, risks can be reduced to near zero just by chosing some good artist.

Tbh, that’s one of the most important points for me - you can have good traveling artists and terrible ones with studios, but people with studios at least have to deal with the problems they might have caused :wink:
And even if I fuck up things myself, I know my artist will take care of me.

Mhm, I think there are some amazing guys in Central or South America, lots of “extreme” stuff, but some with really good quality… I lost track of that a little since BME is nearly dead, and I’m already happy if I can stay more or less informed about the artists in Europe :wink:

Oh for sure, me too. I’ve done my own surgeries a few times but anything involving the eyes is just atrocious for me. Scares the crap outta me.

I am planning on replacing my two upper canines with shiny titanium ones, and i might get the new ones a little longer for increased effect, so maybe if you count bones as an organ, I’ve stepped in that territory

That’s a really cool mod - I found this japanese (ex-)dentist some time ago, he makes really nice fangs and grills and all that, but that’s obviously not permanent.

https://www.instagram.com/fangophilia/?hl=de
proxy-image

Still think about visiting him when he comes to Germany again.

But for the permanent solution you’re planning - how is that done? Guess the teeth are removed and implants added instead? If so, what kind of artist is doing that, or did you find a dentist who’s willing to do it? I talked to mine some years ago about making my canines a bit more pointy, and she was not happy about that :wink:

I think Haworth himself actually got this mod recently! You can check out his Instagram for pics, I couldn’t do it myself as I have the teeth of someone living in 11th century England but it looks pretty friggin’ awesome.

Exactly. I also feel like that would change the way I am seen by others in a way I wouldn’t like. I’m pretty heavily tattooed with some facial piercings (none on my face/neck though) and definitely get “looks” occasionally, but with eyes being the “window to the soul” and all I don’t think I’d want to permanently alter the initial perception people have of me in that way.

Good point. I love knowing my artist is only a 30 minute drive away if I need anything.

God I miss reading BME in the mid-00s! I haven’t heard anyone mention BME in forever.

It definitely changes the appearance a lot, in a way that even facial tattoos or piercings won’t. I think if people knew you before, they would have a hard time getting along with the tattooed eyes, just because you totally look like a different person with that. Similar to removing nose or ears - it’s such a massive change, compared to tattoos or piercings. I love how people are able to get that done (I’m all for body autonomy, obviously), but at the same time I’m happy that neither I nor my friends plan on doing it :wink:

I know - I’m getting old :smile:
I still think BME left a gap that no other page yet filled… so many wonderfully stupid ideas, experimental stuff and great artists.

2 Likes

I follow Jahaell Maria Dilambas on Telegram (Jafahell Maria Dilambas – Telegram)). He’s from Brazil and does some extreme but awesome scarifications! I can’t imagine the pain the clients must go through, and the healing must be tough as hell.

1 Like

Oh that’s sick! What’s his instagram again?

Yep! The procedure itself is actually the same thing they do when you need to replace a tooth for medical reasons, you just take it out on purpose first. A small screw is drilled into your jawbone, and the tooth is placed on top of it. Fairly easy to swap between ceramic/titanium too if you don’t like the look of it.

2 Likes