Motorcycle access system

Hey @ekt, very nice setup!

Sorry to revive a sleeping thread here, not sure whether that’s bad form.

I’m currently in the process of wiring my 2017 Ducati Scrambler (which I LOVE) to start with my hand-embedded NeXT tag.

I wanted to ask how you worked around the key embedded RFID immobilizer? I currently have a breadboard setup to turn on the bike and turn over the engine when it reads my hand, but my key has to be in the ignition.

I hooked the leads of the immobilizer up to an oscilloscope, and recorded the immobilizer-key “handshake”. Now deciding whether to make a chip/board that returns the “handshake” when requested, or get a duplicate key + immobilizer antenna and hide it in the fairings of my bike…

I wanted to ask how you went about this (since I noticed you don’t have a key in your ignition). Great work again!

Best,
Pat Flanigan

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t think you will get anywhere by trying to “fake” the immo chip. I investigated this issue quite a lot, and I found only two solutions, both which in effect dissables the immo systems function. The first and least intrusive is to get a pre-fabricated key box from ali or ebay. This is a box that you leave a spare orignal key in, and it has a coil antenna around the key and a remote coil around the immo receiver. It is basically just a system the allows you to hide the key somewhere on your bike. The other way is to sacrifice a spare key, by taking out the immo chip and mount it on or near the immo receiver. This is what I did, as I didn’t like the idea of having a complete key accessible somewhere on the bike, even though it is hidden.
Both of these solutions will in practice make your bike not having an immo system, so that needs to be taken into account. I luckily live in a very low crime country, so I am not worried.

1 Like

Like this

1 Like

Thanks a ton @ekt and @Pilgrimsmaster!

I’m currently planning on stealing the chip out of a second key in the same way @ekt does it. (I also don’t like the idea of a full key hanging out with my bike all the time!). However I’m also hoping to mount a second immobilizer antenna on a relay so that the immobilizer ‘bypass’ system does not function unless an Arduino nano activates the additional antenna/chip circuit.

I’ll keep you guys posted on how it goes. Thanks again!

1 Like

FYI, if you just remove the chip from the key and mount it in the box, That will work also.

Please do,

I know first hand that writing these things up and sharing them in the Projects section can take a lot of time, but they do really help out the community, and are always appreciated.

The added bonus, it gives you a place to save your work and a reference for later if you need it to effect repair / replace or duplicate your work.

1 Like