My flexDF installation and notes

I’ve had my flexDF installed for almost 4 weeks now so I thought I’d share some stuff about the installation of my implant as well as share some thoughts I have.

Unfortunately I was only able to get a couple of shots the procedure so I’ll just have to talk through what happened.

I went to a body modification shop here in Melbourne, Australia to have the procedure done by John. It took about 30 minutes total from first incision to final stitch. I decided to have the implant on the top of my left hand because I thought the size of the tag would be a bit big and uncomfortable elsewhere.

Initially the area where the implant was going to go was drawn on and then sterilized with a betadine solution. Local anesthetic was used to numb the area. Once I was unable to feel any pain in the area the John started to create a straight cut at the base of where the tag would be pushed into using a scalpel. Once wide enough John used a flat, rounded scalpel (I’m not sure what they’re actually called) to start cutting underneath the skin to create the pocket in which the tag would sit.

Once the pocket was large enough the tag was simply slid under the skin by hand. After the tag was in John stitched up the initial incision with four stitches.

As for aftercare, I was careful not to get the cut wet for the first 10 or so days until I could see the wound closing up. I did wash my hand in warm salt water every now and then to keep it clean. At about the tenth day I removed the stitches.

A note:

It was quite uncomfortable during the first week. As the implant is just above a tendon on my hand any excessive movement felt at thought it was rubbing against the implant. I’m a coder so I spend my day typing which wasn’t the most enjoyable experience ever but once it settled down a bit the discomfort has basically disappeared.

4 Likes

Thanks for the great post! I’d love a follow-up… is the flexDF still visible when you plant your fist on the table? How has the skin settled around it?

2 Likes

Hi Amal,

I’ve recorded a quick video to best show you how the flexDF is sitting in my hand.
In Hand

I’ve Also added another one where I’m using the implant to switch a relay which gives a good example of proximity.
RFID Application

Overall though the implant has settled in really well. It’s bound to the skin nicely and it’s basically just a part of me now so I don’t notice it at all.

If you want anymore information or if I can help with something message me or shoot me an email.

Sami.

2 Likes

thanks!

Nice! That’s really clean!

My question about this is, would it not be better to cut it the length and have it an open wound with proper drainage instead of a pocket that you’re shoving a foreign body into and praying it doesn’t get infected?

I’m not sure what you mean. I can’t see any benefit of creating the incision lengthwise, only that it would create a larger scar.

Also there was no praying that it wouldn’t get infected. The implant was sterilised as where the tools used to insert it.

The risk is always present, even with all precautions taken. Kinda like an unloaded gun.

A lengthwise incision allows better drainage because there are openings at both ends of the wound. Scars are trivial at least to me. Regardless people will see it and ask, no matter if it’s 11 or 22mm.

I still don’t think I fully understand what you’re saying but in the end if the incisions are closed up and the implant is underneath the skin the result is generally the same.

Although seeing as this is a beta program the “best” way to have it tag implanted might be different from what Amal has stated. If you do get the procedure done please document it so that we can all benefit from it.

I’m also confused by this… infection is only possible if contamination occurs during installation. Typically, for this type of wound and implant installation, drainage only becomes a concern AFTER you have an infection. Draining an uninfected wound means leaving open access points where infection COULD enter after the procedure. This is not ideal. A small incision, a clean installation, and a complete closure is the best way to reduce infection risk. If you do happen to develop an infection because of cross contamination occurring during the procedure, then opening the wound and removing the implant is one option. Other people have handled infections with antibiotics.

2 Likes

Have you been through an airport scanner with it yet? I travel every week and am wondering if it would arouse suspicion in some countries as it would most likely raise an alert both in metal detectors and millimetre wave scanners.

Neither one will pick up any implants sold by DT.

Good to know thanks.

I have been through airport scanners with it without any issues.

1 Like

I have also had an MRI where we placed my hand above my head to minimize direct contact to the chip. There where no issues with heating or movement. I didn’t feel anything at all when it came to the implant. @amal another case of an MRI having no issues with an implant.

2 Likes

Which implant? A flexDF?

Yep. Although the version before the current one.

1 Like

hi!
Can you reupload the videos?
they are unavailable :frowning:

I will when I get a chance. I’ll post back on here when they’re up.