My xLED chest implant

My class is called “Cybernetics and body centric technologies” and its at Ryerson University. I also teach “Fashion Technologies” “Wearable Technology” and “Physical computing”. All in weird art programs @Mac3turbo

Still no luck lighting this up… Waiting on some parts.

5 Likes

Do you have any info on the transdermal mount?
We’ve got a bunch of microdermal piercings, but that looks much beefier.
I imagine its gotta be anchored pretty good if it’s gonna hold a powersupply & circuitry.

1 Like

Totally!

Microdermals are like a tiny version of the Transdermal. They have a very small “foot” that goes under the skin (as you , but maybe not others reading this, know). Transdermals have a very large base with perforated metal that allow the skin to grow through it. I specifically got it after having A LOT of trouble with North Sense surface bars, but wanting something mounted on my chest. They don’t work so well for anyone with boobs. I tried to have them done twice, a year apart. Both incredibly painful healing and ultimately failed.
Transdermal sits at a point that doesn’t get much movement, so its healed MUCH faster. The large base also means its able to hold up some weight, the microdermals would just reject. Multiple microdermals also might migrate (move around as they heal) so they are unpredictable o top of that.

The transdermal is considered a more serious mod. I had to get 5 stitches, and a ton of Lidocaine. Its made by making a pocket, using an 8g punch, and sliding the implant in from the incision to come out the punched hole.

4 Likes

Thanks @Leeborg, that is so cool! :smiley:

We’ve had lots of experience with microdermals migrating & rejecting. We’ve got 8, and 7 of them have been re-done. They seem to sit better in scar tissue tho so after the 2nd time they seem to be a lot more stable.

Even with a few of them, it’d be too risky IMHO to use them as mounts for anything. They’re just not sturdy enough or whatever? Ours have the perforated bases but its small enough that the body can just force them out if it wants?

One over our eye got caught on a necklace, and like 3 weeks later it had pushed itself all the way out. :frowning:

Anyways, good luck with this project - I’m sure it’s gonna look amazing when its all done! :smiley:

2 Likes

@RealVioletWitch Yeah microdermals are… difficult. But they look SO COOL!! They totally do have a foot, but its much smaller. Here is what my transdermal base looks like: http://www.zentastic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/samppa-new-implant-design.jpg

Here is what (it is likely) your microdermal base looks like: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Dermal1.jpg/220px-Dermal1.jpg

Transdermals are considered high risk… but honestly, mine is healing real well.

2 Likes

Thanks again, @Leeborg!

We can think of all kinds of neat things we’d do with transdermals like that, but I don’t think we’re brave enough to go through with it lol.

1 Like

Update: turns out I had a slew of bad equipment and the xLEDs are great. Still working in finding a Cylinder coil but feeling good about it all!! My pixel 2xl DOESN’T WORK and neither does the RC5222 which I feel is important to know because it’s the cheapest 13.56 MHz reader around.

Screenshot_20191104-222357-01|500x500

6 Likes

Is there any advancements on this project @Leeborg? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes