New Here, need some opinions on a solution

Hello! I’ve popped into this forum a few times over the years since… maybe 2015? I finally convinced myself to spend the money and bought a NExT which I installed myself last Friday. It seems to be healing up perfectly with no issues and minimal swelling.

Anyway, I’ve been looking into experimenting with my car since it’s an old 325k+ mile honda that I don’t care to tear up. I was considering replacing the ignition switch with an arduino based custom RFID push button/remote start solution but I read somewhere that the Atmel chips aren’t recommended for automotive use? I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an alternative microcontroller for this scenario.

Also, what is the best way to approach employers about registering my chip into their access control system? I’ve been met with apprehension for far less “outlandish” requests before so I could use some tips here. I’m not exactly a social butterfly :sweat_smile:

I can’t think of any realistic basis for this? Maybe it might not be the best choice for a very specific application, but you’d have to know exactly what that was to judge it. I think the arduino is a great unit for automotive re-engineering.

You might wanna read this.

“No” is an easy, instinctive, low-risk answer that most companies are going to reach for as they have no motivation to accept your chip. The easiest way in is to find someone who has an inside position and an interest in the chip. Get some of the security / IT people on board and you’ve got a start. Get the CEO on board, and you’ve got a lock on it. Or as my Mother has told me so often over the years, " It’s not what you know, it’s WHO you know."

2 Likes

I think the best way is to go around them if possible. If the system is compatible with the NExT you might be able to clone your existing card. Give it a scan with NXP TagInfo and post your results. If you can clone it to the implant you don’t need anyone’s help.

3 Likes

It really depends on your employer. Some have had a really tough time with idiotic company execs here recently. But I will say this: if you’re in good terms with the people you work for, I find honesty and forthcomingness to be more productive. At least it’s always been the case for me. But maybe it’s because I have the luxury of beeing choosy with whom I like to be employed by :slight_smile:

3 Likes

From what little I understand of RFID, it uses the UID as the identifier, correct? So if I were to clone another tag in the future, I assume it would overwrite my current UID and I would have to reregister it with everything else I use it for?

It depends, but generally yes.

I think that’s about right, yes. You could also have multiple implants :stuck_out_tongue: But so long as the other things you want to use it with (i.e. xAC or a door lock or something) let you enroll your own card it should be fine.

1 Like

I was certainly wondering why some people got more than one implant of the same type. It’s making a lot more sense now lol. My next one is likely going to be a Vivokey (or a payment implant if one comes out that doesn’t have to be replaced every few years) but I’ll definitely have to consider another NExT at some point, it looks like.

If you haven’t looked in to it much, the VivoKey apex is supposed to be coming soon™. According to Amal, production is supposed to start this month.

For your needs I probably wouldn’t go for the VivoKey Spark 2 with the Apex right around the corner, the Spark is not super useful yet for most people to be entirely honest.

The Apex can also in-theory act as a payment implant, but it needs Mastercard’s blessing (which has been an ongoing ordeal).

The Apex should be able to do changeable UID, I believe. If that doesn’t come to fruition, the xM1 or the flexM1 can do changeable UID as well.

My plan is essentially to have two implants of each type (LF and HF), with one of each with a changeable/editable UID. That way I have one set of “keys” I can use for all of the stuff I own, and another set to change to hotel keys, work badges, etc.

1 Like

Do you have your access card with you at the moment?
If so Do this :arrow_down_small: We can give you a much more targetted answer.

Do you know how to scan your card with your phone?
Install TagInfo and running - Remove phone cover - NFC ON -Screen on and unlocked - Move your card slowing on the back of your phone ( Top edge for iPhone ) - Then

Hide / change / remove your ID for security.

This may also help at some stage
WIKI - NFC phone performance

IF this doesn’t work ( Actully probably better for you if it doesn’t ) you likely have a Low Frequency card, this is a better “do it yourself” option.

To further confirm, next time you are at your work, Use your Diagnostic card ( Would have been included with your NExT ) on your readers, LF , HF or BOTH may light up.

When it comes to using your NExT on the reader, that’s when you will use your xFD ( key rings included in your package ) to find the sweet spot

Like I say with more info, the more we can specifically rather than generically help you.

I hope that all makes sense, Just ask if not, somebody will be along shortly to answer your questions :wink:

OH, and

.QuerulousBewitchedEsok-small

2 Likes

I poked around the recent news about it but I’m not entirely sure I understand the premise of the applets, or why it’s better than their current products.

I don’t currently have one, but I get moved around a lot at work and I know some places I will be will require one at some point. They will more than likely be LF however. I already have my HF side set up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Also, I don’t even have the equipment to interact with the LF side of the NExT yet so this is all purely speculative at the moment :sweat_smile:

So, one of the easiest ways to think about it, is normal RFID cards use a chip, with the “software” side of things burned in from the factory. No matter what actual data you write to it, the chip will still always have the same commands, features, etc. This includes the Spark 2 to an extent. It can do cryptography, but only for one purpose, VivoKey authentication (although that authentication can extend to several services).

With applets, you can write your own software (or use ones that others have written). This allows you to do fancy card emulation stuff, payment (again, with approval), key generation stuff for cryptography (including 2 factor authentication codes). Think of most cards/implants being a single tool. A knife, a flathead screwdriver, etc. They do what they were made for, and nothing else. The Apex is like a weird modular swiss army knife, where you can change tools at will (via Fidesmo/JavaCard applets).

One of the apps I believe is planned early on (if not already working with the Flex One beta?) is a password manager, for instance.

The Apex can grow.

2 Likes