New user looking for advice on specific uses with the NExT and Spark 2

Thankfully he had an open install date available the day after shipping says it will get here, otherwise I doubt I’d be patient enough either.

I believe that for most iPhone’s you need to be on iOS 14, unless you have an X/XR or higher.

I’m from the UK and ordered from the DT website so my order came from the US, it was predicted to come on a Wednesday and it came early on the Monday, so I’d happily guess you’ll get yours with plenty of time before the install date.

I’ve tried it on my XR and a brand new 12

Ah, I guess you’ll have to actually open the NFC reader from the control center with an iPhone then… though someone with more knowledge about it should definitely jump in and correct me if I’m wrong.

There isn’t an NFC reader option. It will actively look for an NFC tag but I don’t think it’s as aggressive in searching for them as an iPhone. I’m sure it’ll be fine once the swelling goes down :joy: if not I’ll just have to lose the cool factor and make everyone download an app

Its most likely the swelling thats giving you some issues. I have had low success with an iPhone but as a native Android user I dont know the sweet spot for iPhones yet. However, my installer was able to, first try, get a read on my NExT (1 month post) with a thin case on.

You can use the diagnotic card and should be able to see how the phone’s NFC will ‘pulse’ the signal. Also use the field detectors to try and get a better idea of orientation.

The general advice is to try and make a + with the antenna and the tag. Since the tag antenna is cylindrical you really want to make it more vertical.

Image for Reference (Credit Doegox)

Ideally you want to align it like the tag at the top however thats difficult to do since (y’know) you have a hand in the way. So try to keep the vertical positioning in mind and it can help to slightly tilt your hand to make that vertical orientation.

As an android you mean? That’s super interesting because I woke up one morning after an update and my iPhone has an NFC reader in the control center like this.

I think this is the key part. Once the swelling goes down, I’ll have a try with it and see if I can hit the right spot.

I did mean Android you’re right! As for the control centre icon, I’ll have a look into that as I haven’t seen it

Top edge of phone, if you have used it for apple pay, thats were your NFC antenna is.

tenor (61)

Yep for an xSeries like you are trying to cut it in half

Here’s a good example

2 Likes

Exactly, a VERY good example

1 Like

Notice he’s using an app though. What I’m saying, is it works fine with an app but when there isn’t an app open, it doesn’t seem to notice anything is there until after a while of searching around for it

Interesting, I wonder why apps seem to “make full use” of the NFC reader in an iPhone but the native scanner doesn’t.

Knowing apple, it’ll probably be something that they haven’t thought of yet. Wait until Android have been doing it for a few years and then apple will ‘think of it first’

1 Like

I still have a bit of swelling so I will update you on this when it calms down. If it calms down :grimacing:

I’ve had luck with laying the iPhone flat on my hand with the top edge scanning across the implant. I sweep it that way from one end of the implant to the other and it reads without an app just fine.

1 Like

I’m beginning to think that mine is installed quite deep and therefore it could be stopping itself from being scanned

I believe this has changed in iOS 14 but apps that can take advantage of this new access are probably not yet common.

1 Like

What I mean to say is that you can only read a URL from the Home Screen. I’m running iOS 14.2 and I can read/write a vCard from NXP apps just fine but it doesn’t do anything at all at the Home Screen.

1 Like

Yeah Ideally I’d like it to be scannable without a third party app because most people I know don’t have an NFC app on their iPhones. I think I’ll just stick with a linktree link until iPhones update their NFC reading features.

1 Like

I haven’t had a problem opening mine with any iPhones so far. I have them place the phone (around the camera lens) at the base of my index finger the. Slide it up towards the chip so far it’s worked every time.