New VAT tax law for EU shipments

I had to pay for VAT when I received my parcels about a month ago from DHL. They didn’t hold the package but sent me an invoice of 6-8euros afterwards.

Hmm weird… May I ask what your order costed?

Sure, it’s in Sweden. Got two parcels delivered by DHL - the price of the implants was different on each (160$ / 90$) but I had to pay 63SEK for both. That’s roughly 6.25euros.

I always had to pay extra VAT for parcels coming from the US, both here in Sweden as well as France when I lived there.

For info, here’s the interesting part of the mail I got from DHL:

DHL Express ​has paid the duties and taxes for your parcel with waybill number xxx from DT LLC. The amount you need to pay is SEK 63.25 and you can easily pay online here.

I’m guessing that what you paid was the usual import tax. The new VAT will work slightly differently. If I understand correctly, the shop itself will have to pay the VAT in advance, otherwise the package will be rejected at EU borders, so you will be paying the VAT right away when you make your order. But I’m no expert, so I might be wrong :sweat_smile:

I think you might be right - VAT should be 20-ish% of the total price.

The shipping company can collect VAT instead

So, no the VAT does not need to be collected by the merchant. In fact it requires more work on their part to do so.

1 Like

There is an important distinction between import duty, which is a tariff, and VAT which is a tax. It is totally conceivable that you will have to pay both import duty and VAT once this law goes into effect.

3 Likes

Is it possible to use an EU-local affiliate company to be more cost-effective somehow?
Here in Sweden, there is Oakentech AB ( https://chipster.se ), which buys products from DT already as I have understood it.

Your other European option is KSEC

https://labs.ksec.co.uk/product-category/dt-dangerous-things-llc/

1 Like

Not anymore: you pay import duty + VAT when you import stuff from the UK now. Brexit ya know…

I have quite a few friends who quit ordering anything at all from the UK after getting the bill from their local customs. I know I have.

1 Like

There is also https://digiwell.com/ from Germany.

2 Likes

Does the EU VAT apply on shipments coming from the US after July 1st but purchased before July 1st?

The arrival date in the EU is the important one…

!!!NOTE: The VAT and possible other postal/carrier charges will also have to be paid for goods ordered before 1 July but imported/delivered on or after this date. We recommend EU consumers to take this into account when ordering goods from outside the EU and seek more information from the postal operators regarding these additional charges!!!

From this EU page

Okay thanks.

Well this confirms that I’m a fucking idiot: this is my biggest DT spending in quite some time, and of course being an idiot, I managed to place the orders straddling the July 1 date.

Oh well, it’s only money…

Did you use the Coupon code that they provided?

Well no, it only came into effect today afaik :slight_smile:

Maybe @mdanger or @amal will give you a break and apply it or give you a credit note or something.

No need. I don’t really care no more. It’s just that I don’t like to get shafted by customs: they are one particular kind of parasites that really, really gets on my nerves.

4 Likes

So one year later,

anyone tried buying it in the US and then sending it to the EU as a gift to avoid those new EU law? :thinking:

Hello fellow Belgian. You can buy most of DT stuff from Digiwell.

If they don’t have what you want, just shoot them a message!