New VAT tax law for EU shipments

Because this is pretty important, I wanted to double post this to the announcements category.

In short, starting July 1st, shipments into the EU will be subject to VAT tax collection. Typically this means the logistics provider will recoup this tax from customers before releasing shipment. If you are in the EU and have plans to get something, place your orders now. In a couple weeks your packages will likely get stuck in customs and will become subject to this new VAT tax collection law.

2 Likes

Is it possible to get a cheaper shipping alternative to the EU also? I really want to buy the X Field detector 13,56 and a vivokey dev kit, but the shipping cost is $56,60 :frowning: so the total will be $81.49 :persevere:

1 Like

You can buy it Form a reseller in the EU (not the vivokey def kit but the xled)

You could ask someone if they can get your order together with theirs and then they proxy it to you. A EU letter is really cheap.

Im Form germany and i could do that^^

Where in EU are you?

2 Likes

I live in Norway :slight_smile: That helps with the X Field but not the vivokey dev kit :frowning:

Looks quite cheap. We can pm later when I’m @home again.

1 Like

Cool :nerd_face:

1 Like

Great offer by @mrln
Alternatively

2 Likes

If your order is for $150 or more you qualify for free shipping… might be worth picking up an implant? :wink:

3 Likes

Digiwell told me there’s no demand for it so they wont add it.

1 Like

Plus you will get a xField detector with it ( hf with hf implants ) for Freeeeeeee

Do It 2

1 Like

I had to pay for VAT when I received my parcels about a month ago from DHL. They didn’t hold the package but sent me an invoice of 6-8euros afterwards.

Hmm weird… May I ask what your order costed?

Sure, it’s in Sweden. Got two parcels delivered by DHL - the price of the implants was different on each (160$ / 90$) but I had to pay 63SEK for both. That’s roughly 6.25euros.

I always had to pay extra VAT for parcels coming from the US, both here in Sweden as well as France when I lived there.

For info, here’s the interesting part of the mail I got from DHL:

DHL Express ​has paid the duties and taxes for your parcel with waybill number xxx from DT LLC. The amount you need to pay is SEK 63.25 and you can easily pay online here.

I’m guessing that what you paid was the usual import tax. The new VAT will work slightly differently. If I understand correctly, the shop itself will have to pay the VAT in advance, otherwise the package will be rejected at EU borders, so you will be paying the VAT right away when you make your order. But I’m no expert, so I might be wrong :sweat_smile:

I think you might be right - VAT should be 20-ish% of the total price.

The shipping company can collect VAT instead

So, no the VAT does not need to be collected by the merchant. In fact it requires more work on their part to do so.

1 Like

There is an important distinction between import duty, which is a tariff, and VAT which is a tax. It is totally conceivable that you will have to pay both import duty and VAT once this law goes into effect.

3 Likes

Is it possible to use an EU-local affiliate company to be more cost-effective somehow?
Here in Sweden, there is Oakentech AB ( https://chipster.se ), which buys products from DT already as I have understood it.

Your other European option is KSEC

https://labs.ksec.co.uk/product-category/dt-dangerous-things-llc/

1 Like

Not anymore: you pay import duty + VAT when you import stuff from the UK now. Brexit ya know…

I have quite a few friends who quit ordering anything at all from the UK after getting the bill from their local customs. I know I have.

1 Like