NExT chip choice

hi,
why are the NExT chip fitted whit an Xnt chip and not whit an xDF2 chip ?
thanks

Because it’s a combination of xNT and xEM which are the two most common implants. If they put a xDF2 in then it wouldn’t have an xNT and would be called something else.

There may be a technical or physical reason DT doesn’t have a DF2 version. Or it may be that no one has asked for it.

1 Like

Different chips require different antennas. They also have different physical packages. All high frequency chips are not drop-in replacements for each other. There has to be enough demand to justify the NRE costs, and not everyone wants a DESFire chip because they’re more complex to manage than the NTAG.

More memory =/= better chip

They’re not designed to be flash drives.

Now thats a good idea, 125Gb nfc flash drive with exfat or ntfs file system please.

But I want it to be at least Gigabit speeds!

1 Like

I think the DESFire being 3x13 makes it difficult to pair with the much smaller 2x12 chips in a single implant. The xNT and the xEM are the same size, making it easier to fit into an implant without rattling around.

Then there’s cost. DESFire is expensive, and pairing a DESFire with an xEM would be quite the expensive implant. And is there enough demand to even invest in such an implant? I don’t imagine the DESFire are exceedingly popular.

I get it though. I’d much rather have had an xM1 instead of the xNT. It’s be much more useful being able to wipe the UID off of the HF portion of the chip. But again, size mismatch.

Lol, nah. There’s resin inside, mate.

Is not the memory for me but the compatibility whit other devices

1 Like

Oh, sweet. What type of systems are you planning to work with that require DESFire chips?

3 Likes

Amal and I agree. My issue is that I would rather it not fail in your arm.

I don’t think that’s plausible. You might be able to get 400kbps data rate over NFC, so it would take 325 minutes to transfer a GB. You also have to maintain good coupling that whole time or sacrifice minutes to garbage collection.

I don’t think NFC would, as you said, be plausible. I was thinking more along the lines of a miniature BT module, but I am guessing it’s too much to power off NFC.

If not Gigabit, how about Terabit? And I want it to have more processing power than the entire AWS server farm!

1 Like

Some of the energy harvesting builds I’m testing out could handle BLE communication powered by NFC. It still doesn’t solve the data rate problem. BLE 5 can do between 1.4Mbps and 2Mbps, so still 63 minutes for a GB. You also still need to maintain the coupling, but in that case it’s even more important because of the pairing requirements that all far field communication methods employ.

1 Like

Light has the ability to bump up data rates at low power, but you’d need a special sensor / emitter device that went over your implant, and probably a wifi connection on that… but if we’re taking special wearables over the implant then power limits of NFC become irrelevant and we can do wifi right in the device itself and just get power inducted.

Anyway it’s an idea that’s been kicked around a lot hah

3 Likes