NExT & Off The Shelf Car Starting Module, but still a work in progress

Okay, so. Last week, I got my first implants Spark2 + NExT.

Then I ordered a Proxmark3, which arrived yesterday. Was able to get it going thanks to the very detailed instructions (thanks Amal). Used it to clone the backup key card for my Digital Guard Dawg (https://www.digitalguarddawg.com/keyless-ignition/automotive/ikey/) pushbutton start system. The system uses active powered keys, but has a backup key card like so:

Which was easily cloned with the Proxmark3.

I had to move the antenna from under the dash, because while the backup key card was easily read through the fiberglass, I didn’t suspect the NExT would be. Antenna is the black thing in my hand here:

I can start the car successfully, but the antenna will HAVE to be mounted away from the aluminum dash, but even when held at a distance, it takes some fiddling to get it to start.

Any tips on boosting strength, or sourcing/building an antenna better suited to the implant?

Either way, I’m pretty stoked that this worked (sort of) with my already installed system!

3 Likes

first I would ask them if you can buy a replacement antenna to see if you can get a spare… then measure the inductance of that spare antenna… then you can go about re-creating it in a new shape (with the same inductance) that may work better for you… for example, a cylindrical coil shape?

3 Likes

Perfect, I’ve reached out to them, I’ll keep everyone posted when I have more info. Having an off-the-shelf system that requires minimal modification would be a great tool-kit add!

2 Likes

Update: for $50 they sent me a replacement antenna. Kinda steep for something I’m not eventually going to use, but now I’m committed.

For much less, I also picked up an LCR meter and some 28 AWG enameled magnet wire.

Tested the new antenna in the system to verify it’s function. Same okay-ish result. Measured the inductance of the antenna:

Then it was time to play. I wound some of the magnet wire around a screwdriver shaft, taped it, sanded the ends, pulled it off and fell WAY short:

Next up was the same process with a marker. 10x improvement:

I was also able to use a special method to inspect the inside of the antenna:

A magnet was able to tell me the black core is ferrous.

Any insight into:

1. What does the core do?
  2. Did my inductance increase because my diameter increased, or because more wire was used to get the larger diameter with the same antenna length?

I can see this turning (zing) into a fun hobby!

1 Like

The core increases the inductance.

For the second question should look up the formula :smiley:

I used this (https://benl.rs-online.com/web/p/ferrite-cores/4674065) ferrite rod to wind my own coil to 1.33 mH. Used some wire from old electromagnet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Tehol,

I’ve played around with making a few more antennas, using new wire, and reusing the wire from that antenna. I think I have a good antenna now (the one that came with my DG Access Kit actually worked pretty well too) - I’ve built several - the best tool for testing is the small LF blinky that came with the NExT. The brighter the flash, the stronger the signal.

Now I just need to create a mount for it away from all of the metal on the car - the dash, frame, center console… All metal.

1 Like