NFC Built In to Apple's New iPhone 12 MagSafe Feature

Should be able to scan a case on an acr122u or with an android phone and dngr.us/taginfo to see if it’s nfc… or could be part of the qi wireless charging standard which does allow for very limited data transfer as well.

Actually you might be able to tell if you flip the case around vertically so the top edge of the case where the NFC reader normally is on the iPhone would be opposite. If it did not pick up the case if flipped vertically then it’s likely NFC

Will try get some video and data with the pm3 when I get home.

1 Like

So I did some testing with the proxmark and I can see a clear voltage dip when running hf tune and moving the case around above the reader but no tag recognised when running hf search. Not sure if there are more things I should try?

Also see the YouTube clip showing case in multiple orientations which I have verified with different colour cases also.

Try lf tune… qi charging is closer to LF

Yeah after watching that YouTube video I’m more convinced it’s a qi wireless charging interface.

One alternative is that I’ve seen a single turn totally unknown antenna trace around a wireless charging interface on a Samsung S7 phone… possibly an NFC like data interface that has nothing to do with NFC except that it’s inductively coupled.