NFC TAG203 Ring – V1ntage not reading

I purchased this ring and the first thing I tried to do was try and write something to it, or really just see if I could scan it. I have tried on two different phones, LG V20, and LG V30 ThinQ. Neither gave any result in the NFC Ring Control app. Any tips to something I might be doing incorrectly? I hope it is not a problem with the ring, but that is the last thing I am thinking it could be.
Hope to get some help soon and figure this out.
undefined (12)

Welcome to the forum, and Apologies right from the get go… No to insult you, but sometimes it is the little things that trip people up, so please bear with me as I try and give you some things to try.
Some obvious, some less so.
Phone on and screen unlocked?
NFC turned on? ( Apologies I haven’t checked your phone specs )
Phone cover removed? ( Can prevent good reads )
Do you have diagnostic card or xField Detector to find optimal position of antenna?
Check this Wiki for some pointers
https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/wiki-nfc-phone-performance/602/48
Can you try and read with this app?

I hope you weren’t too insulted, sometimes people come on here and miss some things in their fault finding.

Good luck
Let me know how you get on

1 Like

Screen on and unlocked.
NFC was turned on, both phones.
both cases taken off.
I do not have a diagnostic card, only thing that I have successfully scanned was my debit card that has tap to pay.
Did not read with TagInfo.
No problem, it was not insulting at all, very helpful to put it the way you did.

2 Likes

Awesome,
Have you checked this video out, I don’t have an NFC ring so I can’t try this stuff for you, unfortunately.

I did have a LF Ring that I tried to modify, but when I bought it, I remember them saying LF fine to use while on finger ( LF has better read range ) but obviously not on a phone.
However they did recommend to remove the HF ring and place it on the reader ( Phone in your situation )

By chance do you have another reader? KRB1 etc

It did finally read, thank you for that link to the video, but it doesn’t want to read in the NFC Ring Control app, but it does read in NFC Tools, NFC ReTag, and TagInfo. That was really weird, but I finally figured out where it reads at, in the middle above the camera on the LG V20. Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Awesome, Im glad it worked for you :+1:

The Chip in the ring, is likely made by NXP, the same makers of those 2 apps ( I’m not familiar with “NFC ReTag”)

Awesome, I will add that to the Wiki, Thanks for that, If you could check the V30 I will add that also

The V30 is in the middle a little more towards the side of the volume buttons.

3 Likes

Again, Huge thanks for the help.

1 Like

Excellent, appreciated, that will no doubt be of assistance to somebody at sometime.

No Problem, I think you did most of that yourself :+1:

1 Like

Just for clarification, NFC Tools is made by Wakdev, not NXP

2 Likes

Oh shit, yeah I dont know what I was thinking. I bloody knew that.
Cheers.

1 Like

hah it’s hilarious that he positions the limitations of the design as “we came up with the idea of sweet spots” to limit the ring’s ability “to improve the user experience” … but that’s why he’s now a millionaire I guess.

3 Likes

Haha, He has obviously been to marketing 101.

Any limitation = design features that have been implemented for the customer’s safety and security

2 Likes

I mean, he’s right in a way. Not having a sweet spot would be a bad user experience with all the erroneous scans. Makes me wonder if the technology wasn’t a limiting factor if they would cripple their antennas to limit them artificially?

It’s a great bit of marketing spin for sure though

1 Like