On what frequency does this reader operate?

I want to gert started with NFC immplants. The implant is supposed to emulate my StudentID card. Which chip should I choose, to be able to copy the ID of the card and unlock the door. Which reader do I need to read/write
The reader at the door:

The back of my card has an RFID logo with the caption “Fast Tap”

Thanks

i’d bet it’s a LF (low frequency) reader!! my school also uses blackboard and our cards are all LF.

1 Like

Which implant works best to emulate my card? Or is it not possible to copy the card onto an implant?

youd need to know the technology behind your card so if I were you id scan it with TagInfo to find out but your best chances are a NExT

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, it says it is a MIFARE Classic EV1, which has a frequency of 13.56 MHZ. So the NExT should work, right?

Nope, the Next wouldn’t work. Take a look at the xM1 or flexM1 gen 2. How many bytes does the UID have? Is it a 1k or 4k? You could also try reading it with the “Mifare Classic tool” app.

1 Like

How can I differentiate between 1k and 4k? The UID is 8 figures long in hex.

Why wouldn´t the Next work, it also operates on 13.56 MHZ? Is the UID not changeable for the Next?

No the uid is not changeable on a NExT and its a different chip (NTAG216) you seem to need a Mifare classic.

4 bytes (8 characters) is good news. If you can get a magic mifar (gen 2 if you want to write with your phone) test card you can test it out befor getting an implant.

1 Like

Would this one work? UID is changeable, and the frequency is right.

Would you mind sending us the screenshot of the “Extra” tab in Taginfo? It should look like this, this is from a similar card:

The “4kB” at the top tells you that it is a 4k card.
Now, if your card is 1k that is excelent. If it’s a 4k, things become a little more complex. The xM1 and flexM1 are only 1k, but if just the first few sectors of the card are written than that shouldn’t be a problem.

I would suggest you purchase a magic Mifare Classic 1k gen2 card from KSEC (if you are from Europe) and test it out.

1 Like

I´m in the US.
here is the screenshot:

Ok, so it’s a 1k. That should make things a lot easier.
I think KSEC also sells to the US.

Some things to keep in mind:

• there are 2 kinds of “magic” Mifare classic compatible implants, gen 1 and gen 2
    – gen1 can be written with a writer that sends magic commands; they are harder to brick, but can be rejected by some readers that check if the card accepts magic commands
    – gen2 can be written with a smartphone, and can’t be recognized as clones, but are a little easier to brick if you write an invalid sector 0

• x series implants (little glass capsules implanted with a needle) usually don’t have stellar range with conventional readers, might be good to look at flex implants (if you are into that)

About the iRobot implant: I think it probably would, but don’t take my word for it. Do some more research. Also, I have no experience with iRobot implants. In any case try it with a card first before implanting anything :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What do you mean with “brick” the implant?
Thanks for the help.

In this context, to brick means to render something inoperable - bricking an implant would mean make it unusable

As you are in the US of A , :us: I would reccomend you purchase through Dangerous things.

Here are your options.
SMALLEST AND CHEAPEST

GREAT READ RANGE, 2 OPTIONS gen1a and gen2

2in1 what I would call a hackers chip (LF and HF changable UID/NUID)

Some of those xM1s come in DT bundles, however if you want to create your own bundle (Dangerous Things don’t currently offer this service) KSEC does have this capability
https://labs.ksec.co.uk/product/custom-cyborg-builder/

Here is an example

1 Like

Actually… I think I will update the xM1 product so it comes with a magic gen1a card for testing. Only seems fair.

6 Likes

Yea Magic 1k is on a lot of school readers, That was actually the deciding factor on getting the Flex NeXT or the Flex MT