Open source deadbolt lock

Its looking very good

Thanks, I’m a little concerned about the motor as they haven’t replied to my order yet.
Might end up having to go with a different one, maybe the common 5v stepper motor 28bjy-48 with a custom gearbox on.

1 Like

A little late to the party, but I made an account here after reading through this thread last night.
I’m currently doing my undergrad in mechanical engineering and would love to help out on this project however I can.

3 Likes

I don’t suppose you’d be able help with the gearbox would you?
Ideally a 1:1.5 ratio from the motor to the bolt to increase the torque a bit, and in the smallest form factor possible that will be durable.
The dimensions of the motor shaft are readily available online and the bolt will use the standard plate to actuate it (I don’t have dimensions to hand right now)

2 Likes

I’ll see what I can do, I’ll grab a copy of your CAD and have a crack.

2 Likes

Righto, as promised I’ve had a crack!

Did a bit of digging on Alibaba and found this here DC motor. Its got 3 Kg.cm of torque compared to the 0.62 Kg.cm of the other one.

Using it has required a couple of design changes as its a little thicker, and the motor shaft is closer to the output shaft.
What I’ve done is extend the body from 40mm to 43mm thick. Also I’ve replaced the thumb-turn with one that sits proud instead of being recessed, while this may not look as sleek it gives the extra clearance needed for the motor.
Additionally this new thumb-turn allows for extra gripping area which may be required when overcoming the added resistance of the new gearbox.
Furthermore, the extra clearance inside provides room for the addition of limit switches so the controller can know when the bolt is fully retracted/extended.

I’ve included one set of images with the main design changes needed for the new motor.
I’ve also included one render of a “slim” design with the extra clearance added only for the motor (to achieve this I’ve had to invert the battery cover).

Main changes

Slim version

6 Likes

Looks great! I kinda really like the slim version.

3 Likes

Where is PCB mount place? How to open if battery was discharged? How to (fast) change batteries? :smirk:
Also, LED to indicate the lock state is really useful…

I’m sure it’s been brought up by someone else, but I have four 3d printers and when the time comes, I can 3d print some stuff provided I have the . STL files.

1 Like

@conphilpott I’ve created a fork and pull request to merge my changes into your branch. I’m kinda new to github so please let me know if I fucked something up.

@Gurion there is a removable battery cover, however it blended in because it was the same color (Whoops!). Here’s a screenshot of the assembly:

Screenshot

Also, for the PCB mount place, theres 13mm of space behind the battery box which should be plenty.
An LED would be useful indeed, whoever does the next revision can add that in.

2 Likes

My Lock pcb v0.1(left) and v0.2(right). I had not good result with 6v battery assembly, at the moment when motor driver turs on I see voltage peak drops down and ESP32 reboots.

So for v0.1 I separated power 3v(2xAA batt) for ESP32 and external touch button and another 3v+Boost(min 1.8v convert to required 3.3v) for motor driver and RFID reader.

For v0.2 I use 3v(2xAA)+ same Boost and 6v(3v+3v,
totally 4xAA batt in serial connection) for motor and RFID.
First part 3v(2xAA)+ same Boost for ESP32 and ext touch(min voltage for ESP32 2.3v, min voltage for fully discharged AA battery near 0.7v, 2*0.7=1.4v, so using Boost I can get more power from battery and discharge it much deeper). Second part 6v allows motor to have higher torque moment(some timesy I got dummy “lock open” cycles because of insufficient power) and lower voltage dropdown affection to ESP32. As result - 12uA in sleep mode at first 3v batt pair and 0uA at 6v power line :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cone shaped head of battery cover screw better to change to straight shaped screw head, because when you will assembly and add some small extra torque to this screw your plastic cover’s “ear” will be immideatly broken(cone will expand fragile thin plastic) :slightly_smiling_face:

Has anyone seen this. They have one controlled by an app and this one is rfid compatable. The only thing I don’t like is that the battery in the bolt I think that would weaken the lock. But its a cool design. I’m very curious to know what kind of motor it has in it.

Interesting choice of the disposable CR123. Nobody has those lying around. Luckily you can just manually turn it in the case that it dies. It’s probably just a little brushed DC motor with a gearbox to increase the torque.

This is super cool looking, I would be curious to find out what type of chip they are using in the key cards. Also to see if it would even read a matching x series chip…

1 Like

First I do not have any confidence in the person I spoke to BUT when I asked about what sort of chip was used in the cards (after reading how easy it was through the phone app to add new cards), his only response was that it only works with their cards. I followed up explaining that I was interested in using a ring or implant to unlock it and he just restated that it only works with their cards. HOWEVER they will soon have the option to buy more cards separately so you can have more cards. facepalm

1 Like

I actually think it is a clever use of space and regarding the strength, I agree that it would reduce it, but nothing noticable. (Unless you took a hacksaw blade to it between the door jam)
Obviously it would not be as strong as a solid piece, but the battery would still provide SOME strength to it.
The bolt may not be the weakest point of attack on this particular lock.

In saying that, if it is installed incorrectly, It may well be.

Good try

I felt the same way actually… but upon thinking about it… the weak point in US residential homes is the wooden door frame. If this was going into a commercial metal door with a metal frame, then a good donkey kick would probably wreck this bolt real good… but again, probably not enough to actually give way… so… dunno probably not relevant.

If someone here knows better about iOS NFC API and can add on to this, that would be great. This is just a clue, I don’t expect to reach conclusive evidence without someone here actually owning a lock and exploring.

With the Level app, you add new cards by scanning it with your phone. So it has to be something that iOS applications are capable of reading, as I am aware that IOS NFC is more limited than Android. But it is still possible that cards are registered in Level’s database and it will only accept cards that are registered.

My view on this, is, residential locks only keep honest people out.

4 Likes