Open source deadbolt lock

Forgive me for speaking stupidity

I am no programmer

In regards to the gimdow lock, is it possible to sniff the Bluetooth to figure out what it’s telling the lock mechanism to make it open, and emulate that with our own Bluetooth?

If so, can’t you just attach a nfc / or xac to a Bluetooth board and away you go?

Would depend on the implementation and whether it was encrypted on top of the standard bluetooth implementation.

chances are very high that the level of security considerations in this (and most all locks) is very low. still, it may not be a “simple” task.

So im looking at all the docs and pics I can find on this dam thing and it looks awesome! Almost exactly what we want im going to see if I can pick one up to disassemble and recreate in cad if we think thats useful?

300 days on 4 AA at 10 opening per day :grin:

It’s already outside my skill set,

But it would probably be a lot less hassle than designing a whole new device from the ground up

PM your address and all that and I’ll send you one. I bought a couple of them.

3 Likes

Can you document the insides for us while you’re in there? Even if it can’t be replicated, I would still be happy as a clam if it can be hacked and bent to our will

Aye was going to see if I can identify all the parts and depending on time backward engineer the pcb :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Are they actually for sale? I went looking the other day and the best I found was a link back to their completed indiegogo.

I might pick one up either way,

Rfid is best, but a combination is still superior to a key

(That 128 aes concerns me for hackery)

@anon3825968
There’s a review you might enjoy

Nice. I’ll keep that one in mind if I need to outfit a door that I can’t find a proper lock case or handle replacement for. The website doesn’t say anything on its ability to actual latches. I suspect it can only turn deadbolts. But maybe not.

Ok I’m sending off one of my unopened gimdow locks to @Devilclarke to see if he can explore some of the ideas in it and make some CAD drawings. Looking at these locks again got me curious again so I wanted to take it apart to understand how the tumbturn and key side could operate without any resistance at all… I didn’t get too far in my investigation of this but I will post stuff anyway until I or Dev can get more relevant info posted.

Inside is a very simple looking control PCB… basically motor control, wireless connectivity to the pin pad, and hopefully the security access list is contained here and not in the pin pad… but not sure about that yet.

The turn system is a gear driven ring… not sure yet how it manages to spin freely when the motor isn’t engaged… or rather, I’m not sure how the motor driver gear engages the ring when spinning… it might be a centrifugal system that pushes the gear into place… but my attempts to grab the drive gear with tweezers to see if it would swing out resulted in no movement… so not sure yet… but here are some more pics of that gear system…

notice the loose screw in these photos… this was from the factory… eehh…

… more to come later I’m sure…

Maybe I’m missing something, but you can freely spin most motors when they aren’t engergized

Yeah that’s on me… the stupid screw was rattling around in there and must have jammed that drive gear… because with the screw removed it spins freely.

Oddly though…

There’s a leg that’s running down underneath the side, I wonder if that’s actuating something

actually there is no leg… it might be a shadow you’re seeing. on the underside of the switch is the battery compartment and that white bit you see under the switch slide is the “battery string” visible at the first part of the video… it’s literally connected to nothing.

Weird, that definitely looks non functional

So I know this sounds stupid, but I’ve been surprised before

Have you tried activating it, and again in the different position?

I have seen something “similar” before, it was an external switch that outwardly appeared to have no function, but it had an embedded magnet that interacted through the watertight enclosure with a reed switch on the internal PCB… but it doesn’t really look like it from your video.

Alternatively, it could simply be for a different / older / upgraded version of the unit :man_shrugging:

security through obscurity? LOL