Oura ring as implant?

Hello everyone,

I recently saw a video where they dissected the oura ring.
(Oura Ring 2 Teardown: Inside the NBA’s COVID-19-Detecting Smart Ring - YouTube)

A hypothesis: you insert this printed circuit board in a bio coating and implant it.
Would the sensors still work as if you were wearing this ring on your finger?

What other dangers are there?

Biggest issue in my mind is that battery. I wouldn’t want that in my body, I’ve seen enough batteries vent to be very wary of that.

What do you mean vent?
Apart from that, I was reading an article yesterday about Northstar V1, I saw that it is also powered by a 3V battery?

northstars are pierced to the skin, not implanted. If it explodes you can rip it off.
Batteries tend to let out gas when they fail, you want to prevent that.
Some say you could detect it and immediatly remove then, but it’s not really safe.
Embivet or whatever it’s called for cows is the closest thing to that, I think that’s not allowed yet even for cows.

So you need the rings chips and something that detects pressure and alerts you.
I just imagine the 911 call “yeah so my implants telling me it’s gonna explode…”

2 Likes

So no battery is perfectly sealed. They have to have a way to disperse gas build up. Venting is when the battery starts to overheat and the gasses come out like a tea kettle.
(Overheated LiPO battery venting twice - YouTube)
Between being an early adopter to vaping and working for a short stint at Boston Scientific making pacemaker batteries I would be extremely cautious about putting a battery in my body. I’ve seen how much damage a tiny battery can do outside of a body.

2 Likes

Ok until there I can follow but what about the story with a peacemaker?

Could that be that you are confused with the North sense implant?
I’ve seen the Northstar V1 under the skin with LEDs on it.

1 Like

northstar

does not equal northsense

directly implanting it would be impossible, because the Qi charging coil is only functional when the ring circle is complete. Also yeah what they said, the offgassing from secondary cell lithium ion batteries will eventually burst any encapsulation.

pacemakers use primary cell lithium iodide batteries that cannot be recharged, and the tiny amount of hyrdogen offgassing they do is accounted for in the construction of the device (they’re hermetically sealed and have metal casings that can withstand any pressure changes).

I would say patience is your friend here. Don’t worry, you’re not the first to think of having this functionality in an implant form factor

2 Likes

Pacemakers have relatively but very powerful Lithium Ion batteries. If they vent they can melt !/4 inch steel the one pictured is about a 1/6 of an inch thick and two inchs long by 2/3rds an inch wide. And Lithium is extremely reactive to water. I worked in a dry room where if the humidity went above Half a percent alarms would go off and we would have to quickly store the Lithium then evacuate.

1 Like

Pacemakers also require orders of magnitude less power than a single simple LED. It takes nothing at all to trigger a neuron to fire. Millivolts at most. Lithium batteries can operate a pacemaker at ultra low power for many many years.

2 Likes

Oh yeah damn I forgot those sorry for the confusion, but embivet, the cow implant thing, is those peoples newest thing I think.

Yeah, embedivet is the most recent development by livestock labs. I’m not sure if they’re still planning to go into production though. The per-unit cost is pretty high for some cattle.

Could be very valuable down the line when beef is taxed like it should be and the cost per kg goes up. Each head would be worth the investment then

1 Like

Does anybody has experience with the oura ring in general?

Yes I have.

:microphone:
:arrow_down:

Haha well, when you ask a closed question :rofl:

2 Likes

I had think ok any further explanation :joy:
So closed question, could you recommend and is it worth the money?

1 Like

Well I’ll chime in on this one for a bit.

I have worked within mobile phone repairs for a number of years, and I have had more than my fair share of lithium batteries that have ended up going into meltdown… Now although those batteries are bigger than what this device has, based upon this, there is no way in hell that I would want that inside of me. Also Lithium is also used as a medication in the mental health scene, and having that leak into you from a battery failure would be a pretty bad thing in my opinion.

Yes some pacemakers might have these batteries in them, but almost certainly I would imagine the circuit protection and hardening of these devices would be sufficient to mitigate against most of the risk for the main part.

I’ve never heard of a pacemaker erupting into flames or having some equally slightly unwanted and unplanned disassembly / anomaly… Then again, I haven’t actually searched for incidences of this, so this weekend could be time for me to do a little research into this.

Phone and pacemaker batteries use different chemistries. From my understanding, most medical implants use lithium iodide batteries.

This article has a list of many different types of batteries that contain lithium: Lithium battery - Wikipedia

I’ll give it a read, and cheers for the info :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:

I’ve had this one for a while anyway, now it’s a nice thing, actually works pretty well, also does what it’s supposed to do during the day.
The only disadvantage is that you cannot use it as a fitness tracker.
One of the better features is the sleep tracking that you can have, only, you have to keep that ring day and night and that is sometimes difficult.
That’s also the reason that I was hoping for an implant solution :slight_smile:

The battery lasts for about 5 days and you also get a notification when the battery is low.
A second disadvantage is the price, very expensive to just buy.
I bought it on it also from the sleep tracking and it suffices for that. :slight_smile: