Payment ring help

I’ll do some testing when I’m off work. Do you have a suggestion for how I should lay the other antenna out? Would I be able to wrap it around the ring?

Also i tried to use just the chip at a tap to pay terminal and got an error and it did not go thru, would adding the other antenna fix this?

You can’t really… it’s… hard to explain. Basically thing if the antenna in the card part like a 1950s paper megaphone… totally passive… the tiny mouth part is the part the module in your photo sits over… the large loud end is the part that talks to the terminal. It’s design doesn’t really allow for the megaphone to be surgically attached human centipede style directly to your vocal cords.

Hard to say without knowing the error. Payment chips must complete the transaction within a very specific amount of time, and if there is not enough power being inducted by the chip because of the small antenna, that timing might extend beyond what the terminal thinks is acceptable. More likely though, the terminal was just not programmed with discover card keys and could not read the chip… A common problem in North America.

So do you have a suggestion what I should do with the extra antenna I have or just keep it as is and try it with different card readers? I’m pretty sure that the one I tested on works with discover. I saw the discover logo, but I have not tested with the card before I took the chip out so I can’t be 100% on that.

Would it be possible to use the antenna some how so it can respond to the terminal in time?

Post a photo of the card antenna

What is the ring made of? Metal’s a no go. I also really can’t see you doing a DIY antenna in a ring form factor and getting substantively better performance than the stock tiny antenna.

Id be interested to see if that could be used as a conversion. Which country did you get it in?

It was not in this shape originally. It had a few winding in a square the size of the chip, and then the extra was around the edge of the credit card it self I believe.

I got the card in the USA. I heard about the payment rings in the UK and wanted to make one my self because it’s not available here in the USA. The ring is made from PLA plastic, I used my 3d printer to make the ring.

1 Like

That was the pickup coil for the module / chip. At this point though it’s just a bunch of wire so it’s not worth saving IMO

If it’s any help I was following this Guide

Dang, looks like I should have thought that one through more. If I was able to somehow get back in that shape do you think that would work?

Maybe I can find something online that would sell a wire like that for me, but I’d highly doubt it

Tough night be able to use that wire sure… enamel coated magnet winding wire is all the same basically… but you will need to do some research and math to figure out how many “turns” you’ll need to make and if you have enough wire.

Well dang, it might be easier for me to order another card and try to keep that wire the same way I got it.

I’ll probably play around with it a bit tonight. Should I just place the wire on top of the card and that’s all I need to do to do?

I really appreciate the help with this, I would be so lost with out you!

YET

I might try to find a way to get the one from the UK shipped to me in the US

Im in the UK. Let me know if I can help. Is it a Mclear?
I’m still coming to terms with the fact that we have something before the US!

Why the surprise?

Alexander Graham Bell and John Logie Baird were Scots.

Tim Berners Lee is English.

It might be easier to try and convert a PureWrist bracelet in the US.

Yeh but they haven’t released anything cool for a while now :joy:

3 Likes

Not that you know

1 Like

Yes that was one ring I was looking at. I see in the app that I need a ID card, I hope i can use a USA ID

I’ll look into this! Thanks.