Contactless credit card payment rings?

I’ve looked at these before actually… well rings constructed like these… and it’s a serious pain to get at the chip. Not impossible, but risk of failure and destroying the chip in the process is pretty high. I’ve tried to get at the chips embedded in these rings a few times… ring bits and a dead chip are all that’s left of those attempts.

If I’m not mistaken, Bankwest has a “sticker” kind of thing that is contactless only… conversion is much more likely with that.

1 Like

Used to, Commbank too. I had one. They were for iPhones before NFC payment became possible. They’re long gone now, my brother had one but they disabled it before it expired even.

1 Like

But then you are back to just getting a “Payment Device Conversion” without the extra hassle and also the 40 bucks

1 Like

Tell me about it… Stoopid Banks

I tried a similar style ring but with 125kHz ceramic ring; I managed to get the chip out, and it visually looked okay, I broke the antenna coil in the process.
The hardest part of it, was locating where the chip was, so I didn’t break it whilst trying to open it up

Definitely not an easy thing to do :ring:

1 Like

Ah right, thanks all, so it seems it’s too hard to deconstruct a ring while preserving the chip.

Is it possible to pull the components from a credit card and embed them into a ring?

In effect making a ring for banks that do not offer it.

1 Like

seeing as amal offers custom chips via your card, it’s doable. but I don’t think you will be able to have a plain band ring (I’m not too sure how the wiring works tho), you may need to put it in a compartment at the top (think class rings in America)

2 Likes

Hey @amal does what bluethebox says seem doable?
Thanks!

Technically possible, but no way I would have time to sort out a ring project.

This is called a signet ring design :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thankyou! I have never known what to call them, Mostly only Bikies have them in australia.

2 Likes

What’s that? America and England aren’t the only two nations separated by the same language.

Biker Gangs

2 Likes

So I don’t know if he’s accepting work right now, and I have no idea on price, but I have a friend who makes gorgeous rings and has done nfc rings before. I’ll link his page when I can if you’re interested. You’d still need to swap antennas probably

1 Like

Or the official term, Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, who do everything from making babies cry to assassinations (we had a drive by recently, guy got gunned down out front of his house)

Fair enough. I saw you being busy with other stuff.
However… the expiry of the implant holds me back a bit, and was wondering if you’ll have a non-sterile chip, that was for testing or I donno :man_shrugging:

I might be happy to do a DIY bracelet or watch-strap around it.
You could make a few bucks out of a non-implantable device, I could waste some time and resources fiddling with a chip.

It was just a thought…

There’s a pretty good tutorial on how to make a ring yourself if you can get access to a resin 3D printer

I’ll try to find the video and link

https://www.instructables.com/id/RFID-NFC-Tap-and-Go-Ring-for-Credit-Card-Payment/

2 Likes

tenor (16)

Turns out a VivoKey Apex ring is closer to reality than previously suspected… stay tuned.

4 Likes

Did I just supply some missing piece? Lol

If so that sucks, that stuff has been floating around for a while now

This would be AWESOME!~

Haha no I’ve just been carefully exploring the idea of an implant company getting into wearables is all… and I think it’s close to becoming a reality this year.

2 Likes

UN-BEEH-LEEVABLE :partying_face:
Can’t wait to spend my money on silly ways to spend more money!
:dollar: :money_mouth_face:

4 Likes