Piezo buzzer implant poll

I’ve sent some motors over to Amal. They should be in in a bit, they were backordered. Ugh. Anyways, I’m trying to mock up one here and wondered,

Who would want an LED version

• LED
  • Non-LED

0 voters

I’ll share some pictures of the mockup in a bit.

Just for my understanding: you’re designing an induction-powered vibrating implant and you’re asking if there should be a blinky with it, right?

In which case, the obvious question: is there enough power out of the coil for a micromotor? I wouldn’t think so, but I’m curious.

Do tell more!

1 Like

The motor is rated for 3v and who knows how many amps. I’m not super well versed on how much power NFC can put out and I’m just hoping it works! Worst comes to worst, I could always just do a non NFC induction coil with specific external hardware. I have no idea if it will work basically, just decided why the hell not!

Okay, there’s a number of problems with your idea:

• Size: the smallest pager motor I could find is this one. 3.2 mm diameter will require a massive glass tube to contain it - with thick walls, since the rotating mass will be in empty space. Not counting the availability of such tube, welding the ends will require a lot of heat for a long(er) time, and that may damage the motor. And then with the 8-mm length of this motor, you haven’t yet factored in that of the coil (say another 8 mm) and the wheatstone bridge between the coil and the motor.

• Power: your typical glass implant coil has enough oomph to light up a LED. That’s 50 to 100 mW. Pager motors require a lot more than that: look at this one: 3V * 195 mA = 585 mW. Even assuming you’re extremely lucky and you score a subminiature motor that requires half, or even a third of that, it’s still too much by a long shot.

So in short, if you sent pager motors to Amal, I have a feeling all he’ll be able to do with them is make scale model vibrating dildos…

So in short, if you sent pager motors to Amal, I have a feeling all he’ll be able to do with them is make scale model vibrating dildos…

Sooo lovetron 9000?!
The motor was one posted in another thread on here. Its actually only 10mm across! I do know it takes 3v, but the product listing didnt tell me wattage, so hopefully it works!
I was hoping to fit it in a modified flex implant. Of course I’m just talking about what I was thinking, I haven’t discussed this with Amal yet! I was thinking either a coffin shape, so the widest part can hold the motor. Either that or like a bobblehead in a flex if you will.

My understanding is that Amal can only bio-coat flattish things. See here.

Moonman is taking about one of these

LRA, linear resonant actuator. The ones we use at work are 3v about 10mm across and you little power and they hit hard. Probably would make a good implanted vibrator :smirk:

1 Like

You dirty dogggggg

Jesus… this went places and I’m surprised it didn’t go much much farther

…probably you would be surprised how successful can that be with careful planning.

Let me pest this project a bit at 5 in the morning:
You can power a device externally, wirelessly there is no problem with that.
The challenge comes when you put that under the skin.

If I stick with that example that would mean over half a Watt minus kinetic energy being transferred into heat. The silicon better be thick to isolate for that. They take ages to cool down, and I’m guessing those who would be happy to get it implanted are entertained by something in the ballpark of a magic wand.

Piezo is a good idea by the way, unlikely to break unless it is overpowered.
You can coil a big enough wire around it to get decent power supply.

Some people are putting North Stars in their hand, perhaps some might be interested in pelvic implants.
@Moonman0922, you got my attention. I am listening! Tell me more!

Hmm no: most of that would be converted into mechanical energy. It’s a motor, not a space heater :slight_smile:

Google says piezo motors are about 30% efficient. I need to read more about it.
But hey, some like it hot! :shushing_face:

1 Like

Ah perhaps. I didn’t really look into it to be honest. But I suppose it don’t matter all that much: those things are meant to be powered up for a few seconds at a time at the most, so I don’t think it’d have time to cook you from the inside.

You’ve also got to account for heat dissipation with the coating. The pegleg doesn’t even use aluminum heat sinks because the resin speads heat so well. Id imagine it should be ok.

If you kept any of the motors you could test it out. The idea is good enough to power those suckers to see. Give it a go if you have any. If you have a handful you could send me one as well. I’d love to play with them. Pun intended.

There’s material for many inappropriate jokes, I just need you to know I’m taking the high road here

I do find it a fascinating idea, even if decoupling the sexual innuendos is hard lol

I’m not even going to touch that :wink:

1 Like

jo seria feliç amb un detector de 50/60 hz