Pixel 2 NFC Sweet Spot

I’ve got an xNT and just ordered a Pixel 2 (not the XL). I’m looking at cases. Anyone know where the sweet spot is for reads? I was looking at cases that can store a couple cards on the back, but if the sweet spot is in the center (as it is on my LG G4) then read/write will be considerably difficult!

Phone is shipping anyways, and I’m not ordering a case until I figure this out… so, if nobody responds, well, I’ll post back with what I find out!

I slipped into a Verizon store and played with the pixel 2 and p2 xl… the xl read both flexnt and xNT much better than the p2… dunno about cases… might be a challenge. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Just got my Pixel 2 yesterday and got it activated. The “sweet spot” appears to be immediately above the fingerprint sensor under the glass part. I’m finding the read performance is about the same as my old LG G4. As usual, you need to direct skin contact, and you need to learn the best phone orientation to read your tag. I have not tried a case yet. I AM planning on getting one where I may have some trouble reading the tag, but we’ll see, and I’ll reply back.

Now, I AM somewhat disappointed with the latest Oreo updates (though I hear this may have come earlier) where they disabled 1) NFC Smart Unlock Trusted Devices (i.e. no more NFC unlock) and the NFC on/off home screen tile (swipe down).

2 Likes

Hi! I’m new. This is my first post. Amal gave me a xNT implant at Toorcamp 2016, two years ago. I now have a Pixel 2 phone. Here’s my results.

• With a Spigen hard plastic case attached, I cannot read the tag
  • Without the case, reading the tag with the phone oriented in a normal reading position and the implant positioned horizontal, I cannot read the tag
  • Without the case, reading the tag with the phone oriented in a normal reading position and the implant positioned vertical, I get about 50% predictable reads
  • Without the case, reading the tag with the phone oriented upside down to a reading position and the implant positioned vertical, I get 100% predictable reads.

So it looks like this position in the picture below is the most reliable, without a case. This is facing the camera so the phone looks normal but when facing the user the phone is upside down.

Hi guys… sorry I missed updating this post… I now have the Pixel 2 and I can say that is one place that seems to work properly… but I also get reads to the right of the camera & sensor cluster on the back… that open space above the demarcation line they put into the phone. I find it I place the xNT at a 45 degree angle to the phone and kind of tap around in that area I get pretty good “from the hip” style placements… or again 45 degree angle just above the fingerprint sensor… basically just above the horizontal line running across the back of the phone.