Placement flexM1

Believe it or not, my mom bought me implants as a Xmas present (technically, I ordered it, but it is from her, as long as I promised to get them installed by a professional) :grin:

Anyways I’ve got one xM1, one flexM1 and one NeXT
My appointment to install them is on the 23rd, and I’m starting to doubt my thoughts on placement.

My initial thought is this: both xM1 and flexM1 on my left hand and the NeXT on my right (between thumb and index)
20201210_210628

My reasoning for the placements are:
NeXT: mainly to open garage door, car etc and I approach it from the right side

xM1: for work, where I approach the reader on my left side

flexM1: for the Yale doorlock which has a low powered reader, approached on the left side

… But now I wonder if a better placement of the flex would be knifes edge or in L4?
My main concern is that I have a lot of veins there, and am unsure how comfortable it’d be to have a flex there… :roll_eyes:

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
And before Xmas I’ll be one of you :grin:

my thoughts are L3 for the flexM1 … more tissue… more easily avoid veins…

but the arm isn’t a bad place either… just test the flexM1 with the reader first… tape the poly pouch to your arm and hand and test it out for comfort before deciding.

Actually I think it’s not great, and here’s why:

My flexM1 is in the back of my hand (L3) and even with the extra wrist articulation that affords more positioning options, I have to twist my arm and wrist in odd ways to present it to my Yale Doorman lock.

The problem is, the lock’s reader can only read it well if it’s presented horizontally to 45 degrees across the reader, and the door is sunk about 6 inches within the door frame. As a result, I have to bend my wrist 90 degrees to clear the frame and barely hit the reader at the right spot and at the right angle.

If the chip was in my arm, I could only present it vertically, and I’d have to tiptoe and / or pull hard on my shoulder to get the chip to the right height. And I’d have to look for the sweet spot even longer, because the Yale Doorman being the finicky little bitch that it is, it just doesn’t work very well with that implant held vertically.

Also, even if the OP’s door placement is more favorable that mine, the day he wants to reuse his flexM1 on another, less convenient lock or reader, he’ll run into the same problem. I use mine on my office door’s NFC handle too for instance, and implanting it in my arm would have me bend my knees a bit to hit the reader. Not a big problem, but it wouldn’t be terribly convenient.

My opinion with implants is, the more distal the better. I really wish I could have implanted my flexM1 in one of my fingers: even in my hand, it’s not ideal placement-wise. But of course it’s too big for a finger.

Maybe I’ll shoot a video later to show what I mean. Later as in not in the polar winter’s night, since we get 2 1/2 hours of sunlight now, and I’m at work when the sun shines a bit :slight_smile:

Cool mom.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.

I tested the flex on my lock and it worked just as well on the arm as on the hand. (the lock is placed high up)
However, if I am to use it as a computer login as well, it’s definitely better to have in the hand (L3)

@anon3825968 how does it -feel- after healing?
L3 seems to go over the metacarpals, isn’t that uncomfortable? (main job is typing on a keyboard, and I’d really not want it to interfere with any hand movements)

(My main concern with the hand is that I have a lot of veins in my hand… But that’s mostly installation fear I guess… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

L3 is between the metacarpals.

I implanted mine with the chip towards the fingers, so that it would sink between the metacarpal bones, just behind the metacarpal heads. The other end - the rounded end of the antenna - is flatter and rests over the hamate carpal. If you do it the other way round, the chip will stick out over the carpals and create a bump on that’ll surely hurt if you hit it.

The thing is, the implant isn’t longer than the metacarpal bone, but it sits a little further towards the wrist because it’s pushed out by the transverse ligament over the metacarpal heads as you extend your fingers. So it’ll find its space further back, and maybe a quarter of it will end up resting over the carpals. You don’t want the chip sticking out there.

Healing? There was no healing: the implant went it, and that was that. I literally forgot about it 10 minutes after it was installed. Well, perhaps I thought about it again when I got the single stitch removed.

As for how it feels, it doesn’t :slight_smile: I really have to push it sideways to feel it a little, or even see it.

For what it’s worth, I type all day long also.

This little guy is totally unobtrusive. I see my glassies more than I see it. It’s a total no-brainer.

Thanks for all the input.
L3 it is then.

All patched up with numbing gel and ready to install in less than 2,5 hours.

Insanely nervous for some reason :grimacing: which is really annoying. Way too much adrenaline :unamused:

In any case wish me luck :crossed_fingers:

(I guess playing video games will be out of the question for a while?)

2 Likes

:four_leaf_clover: :crossed_fingers: :+1:

Did you go for gen1a or gen 2 ?

Gen1a.

I have a proxmark, and no real need to be able to change the UID through a phone, so that seemed to be the best option

1 Like

… aaand you made me google that phrase :joy:

2 Likes

It is done! :sweat_smile: Finally a cyborg.

The needle had a slightly bent tip, so my artist used a scalpel and dermal tool instead.
Hurt like a motherlover for 5 seconds, but a lot better than I feared.

For comparison, I used to do body suspension before (hanging from hooks) and I’d rate the pain as similar, but for a MUCH shorter time.

The whole flex procedure took about 1 minute :grin:

2 Likes

On a sidenote, my artist has a mifare ultralight chip and she’d like to use it clocking in/out of work…

Are there any readily available products for this, or is this best solved as a raspberry/arduino project? :thinking:

There is. One just came out recently, although it’s a little in the experimental stages, as it’s a new implant. Although it’s hella cool. There’s also the wedge option.

No I think you misunderstood… She’s allready chipped with a mifare, and so are her employees.
What I wondererd is if there’s a product avaliable where you can scan your implant when you start work, then scan it again when you leave - to log hours at work.

Congrats! Wishing you a good and uneventful healing period :wink: :crossed_fingers:

Damn, now I’m a bit envious again… I think about doing that for quite some time now, never really met the right people or dared to do it…
So to clarify - you say the pain of a suspension is similar to a nearly-not-numbed dermal elevator install, just longer? I might rethink my ideas… :wink:

How to answer your question… :thinking:
1: everyone has different pain thresholds
2: everyone has a different reaction to pain

So a short explanation:
I used to be TERRIFIED of needles. Always has been, not getting into the story of why, but at some point in my life I decided that I needed to confront this fear.

And so I ended up joining a friend to Oslo SusCon to watch other people poke their bodies.
And what I remember from that, is their faces.
Every. Single. One. looked bliss and happy.

So I decided to try.

For me, getting hooked/pierced was the main issue (I thought) and this is the experience I am comparing to installing a flex.

The suspension part itself is a bit different. You basically pull and stretch your skin to a point where you elevate from the ground, and it does hurt like hell until you reach that point. But you do it in your own pace, and somewhere along the way, your body pumps out so much adrenaline and endorphins that the pain stops and you get a ‘natural high’ that feels incredible.
Kind of like “this was worth all the pain tenfold”

… And then you also notice that you’re airborne… which is also incredible and serene and FUN!

I highly recommend to try it at least once - for the experience.

But be warned. “You’ll get hooked” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m totally aware of that, and I know it’s already incredibly hard to compare different types of pain on one person, let alone comparing pain levels between different persons :wink: But since you made both experiences (suspension and flex install), I was curious how you would rate them…

That’s what got me interested some years ago - I know two people who did that, and I totally believe that this was a very impressive experience. I love bodymods (for 20 years now), and my pain threshold in that area of life is pretty okay, but I’m always insecure when trying out new things… I know I can stand piercings, tattoos and such, but I was pretty unsure if I would survive my scarification. I did, it was fun, and now I know that’s fine, too :wink:
I guess with suspensions, it might be similar… and I finally won’t know it until I try it out.

Thanks a lot for your answer. I think when all this lockdown-stuff is finally over and there are conventions and such again, I will take a look into that… :slight_smile:

oh no!

That’s some fast scalpel work

Yay!

Lassi didn’t need much more time on mine.

1 Like