Putting my student ID on a xEM RFID Tag

So i have been looking into getting a xEM RFID Tag implant and putting my student id on it so i can open the doors at my university. I know that my ID can also be used as a payment method but i just want to open doors with it.

Is this possible ? or is the ID not compatible with RFID tags ?

You may try scanning it with an NFC app, see if you can get more information on the type of chip.

Thanks for the help mzombie. Turns out that the IC type is MF1S70, is it comparable with nfc

No it’s not NFC compliant… though some phones with NXP’s reader chips will be able to read it. It is 13.56mhz and ISO14443A but the chip type does not conform to any of the NFC Forum’s 5 “types” for NFC compliance.

Are you sure it’s MF1S70 and not MF1ICS70?

Assuming the latter, it may not be that it’s required to use all 4k of the S70 version of that chip. Do a scan and go to the “Full” tab, then take some screen shots and post here… or tap the share icon and email yourself the data then post the raw XML here (or PM me if you’re not comfortable)…

It may be possible that our xM1+ could be used. The old Mifare “classic” chips like the one used in your student card have a broken crypto1 protocol and are easily cracked and cloned to our xM1+ chips… but our chips are only 1k (same as a MF1ICS50 chip).

Ah ok, that appears to be a Chinese knock-off of the MF1ICS70 chip from NXP - a 4k “Mifare Classic” chip.

So, in that case, my original comment stands… it might be possible that the larger capacity of the S70 (4k) chip is not actually used by the system at your university, and it might be possible to clone at least the first 1k worth of sectors to our xM1+ and have it work for you.

The first thing you might want to do is find an NFC phone with an NXP reader chip. Whatever phone you used to scan with probably has a Broadcom chip and thus cannot read the “classic” NXP tag family since they are not NFC compliant, and requires a license from NXP to read… which is why phones with an NXP reader chip can read them… the license is implicit with the purchase of that reader chip by phone manufacturers.

Should probably work. You’re right that its using hardly any of the card so the data will fit on 1k.

It is possible though that the readers check card version and fail if its not 4K. Pretty uncommon to do this, but it could technically give the reader a way to distinguish between them - haven’t really seen this in the wild though so I suspect you’ll be fine.

Gotcha. Thanks for your help :wink:

What worries me a little is that Mifare Classic 1k uses a 4 byte ID, and the Mifare Classic EV1 (MF1S70) uses a 7 byte UID. Do you think this could be a problem?

I will probably order some Mifare magic 1k Gen2 cards and try it out first, before stabbing a giant needle in my hand :slight_smile:

Hmmm, here is you Card ID ( 4 Bytes )

Here is your Sector [00] (7 Bytes)

Good idea, IF your reader / system is only “looking” for your 4 byte ID, you should be :+1:

Where are you based?
Where are you getting your Mifare magic 1k Gen2 cards from?

If you were in Europe, that is who I would recommend, infact the whole test card bundle would be a what I would suggest if you plan for more implants in the future

1 Like