Question about the VivoKey Apex

I’m not familiar with Java SmartCards. Can you have more than one applet running on there at a time? Like, could I have mobile payments and the Not a Tesla Key all on the same chip?

Yes. The reader queries the tag and asks if it has an applet that matches the specific app Id it’s looking for. There’s hundreds of kB of user flash for you to load applets onto

1 Like

I hate to be contrary, but my understanding is that only one application can run at a time, but that multiple applications can be installed.

There has been some discussion about multi-tasking, but also concern that it weakens the security model.

1 Like

This is true, however, I think that the post is essentially asking if multiple can be installed, based on their second sentence. I think the use of running in the question was just due to something of a misunderstanding of the technology, that being it doesn’t run anything until its asked to and powered by a reader, as was stated by @Satur9 above.

Good point though in saying that it can’t operate as two different applets at once, only one at at time as the situation requires. But as soon as you change to a different situation it will run the appropriate applet out of the many it has on it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering if you could have more than one applet installed at the same time. It looks like you can. Thank you!

2 Likes