Quontic Payment Ring

Esslinger is a large wholesaler of jewelry supplies. From memory that sizing kit works for wider bands pretty well. My guess is that is what they mean is that their band is wider than a “normal” ring so you need an accurate size.

Update:

I called them for an update, they said ring is ready but won’t ship it until the funds go into my account (since it’s a new account). Said funds usually take 5 business days to post. Once they do, I’ll get the ring in 1-2 days, shipped via FedEx.

I believe they said regular card shows up after 7-10 business days.

2 Likes

Very dubious.

Probably psuedo-tokenization like Digiseq does. The person who told you the ring doesn’t expire is likely either ignorant of how the system actually works, or is following the marketing line to say that because they don’t want people to get confused. The ring probably expires and they just send you a new one, but the “account” doesn’t expire which is what they don’t want people to get confused and afraid about when they say that.

Because there are plenty of banks, including ones who would love to try out a payment implant. The real issue is that the payment schemes (Mastercard and Visa) who are the top level controls on the whole system have thus far said “no payment implants on our network”, and banks and processors can’t take unilateral action because of fear that their licenses will get revoked.

The crux of the issue is that fintech companies are afraid of the potential to lose money, more than the small amount of money they could make if customers just use implants instead of cards. It’s a losing proposition financially. We’re deluded idealists in that we want cool shit with no profit incentive attached (blasphemy!)

2 Likes

Seemingly there is an effort to try to move dependency away from Visa and Mastercard. In the EU at least.
Seems it’s still in the very early stages though.

European Payments Initiative

2 Likes

That’s really interesting. Thanks for pointing that out, I’d never heard of it. It would be nice to see how they feel about implantable technologies. Anybody connected with them?

1 Like

Oooh boy, guess what arrived!

Looks like the McLEAR Ring finally came to the US

1 Like

So far not working :confused:
Reader says to try another card. Maybe I’ll give it a little bit to sync in the servers and such. When I activated it online it said they will send me a pin in mail. Hopefully I don’t need a pin for every purchase. Might have to cause it’s a debit card, not a credit card, but that means can’t use it at vending machines and such.

Hopefully it’s just an activation pin, I’ve never had to put in a pin on a tap to pay

They send you an email with an activation link. The activation code is on the plastic of the box the ring comes in.

I just received my physical debit card in the mail and also got a seperate letter with my pin in it. Since they assign the ring it’s own 16 digit card number, I would assume you need a pin in case you make debit purchases. But idk if you need the pin everytime.

I know my regular bank card has tap to pay, and I never had to enter a pin, but it could be used as either a credit or debit card… meaning despite it saying “debit” on the card, and the fact that the money is coming out of 1 account, if I swiped it and never entered a pin, the purchase would run through as a credit purchase and the money would be taken out a couple days later (compared to me entering my pin and the money instantly withdrawing). I say this cause idk if this is a normal thing, or just a feature of my bank.

1 Like

My experience is that using an NFC card it seems to depend on the actual merchant whether ai have to enter a pin or not.

AFAIK, debit cards do not require a pin to make a purchase, it’s required by the reader which can be set to require a pin every time or only for purchases above a set amount. Usually, if it asks for pin, it’ll say “press (w/e button) to skip” and not have to enter a pin too.
Although I could be completely wrong.

I tried calling them today but they didn’t answer. I’ll try again tomorrow, will also try another reader. Fedex sent me a text saying they are sending me another package overnight so it might be the pin number.

On the positive note: Ring looks nice, and the range is unbelievable. With the ring on my ring finger, if i “point” at the reader, the reader will read the ring before my finger touches the reader.

2 Likes

And the amount the bank lets you just tap.

My bank only allows tap to pay up to €50. Beyond that you need to insert the card and enter a pin.
It was increased up to €100 during the height of the pandemic though it’s since been reduced back down to €50 again.

2 Likes

Update: Got it to work!

Tested this morning on the vending machine at work, no go. Called them up, and they said they had to escalate the ticket to next tier and would call me back. So far no call back.

Got a message Fedex delivered a package. Ran home and got my pin number. Ordered lunch, went to go pay and got the same “try another card” message… went to my car to find out I left my wallet at home. Went back inside, tried the ring again and it worked, no pin needed.

Not sure what the issue is on why the vending machine doesn’t work…Could be:

1. Bad read. When trying to pay on the vending machine it beeps multiple times, as the successful deli i went to just beeped once.

2. Quontic/Ring doesn’t like prepaid charges…don’t think this is the issue, but the machine owner pre-charges like $2.00, then charges you the actual amount once you buy something.

No clue lol.

But glad it works. I’ll try to test on more readers and will make a video when i can.

3 Likes

6g5zgn

3 Likes

When does the payment conversion happen?

1 Like

I want to, but I think it will most likely fail. I believe I read on another post that rings are hard to break apart.

Ah damn ok I caved in :grin:. I ordered it and will mail it in on Tuesday.

3 Likes

Mailed in the ring to the DT Team, should arrive by Monday, 5/23 :grin:

4 Likes

Oh shit, your actually going to try to convert it? Nice

2 Likes