Reprogram the Dangerous Things RFID

Is there a way to reprogram the RFID reader from Dangerous Things to spit out different data than just the tag ID?

I assume you mean the KBR1 USB reader. No, it cannot be programmed to do output anything other than the UID. If you have a custom project where you want to interpret NDEF records or other data and send it to a computer, you could use the a PN532 Breakout board and an Arduino. The only hurdle is writing the program.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a ChameleonMini RevG and a proxmark3 coming in the mail to use with my NeXT, just wanted to see if i could mess around with this in the mean time.

1 Like

We’re working on a tweak for the KBR1… soon it should be possible to change output styles, but only upcoming models not ones already in inventory (or sold).

3 Likes

That’s really nice, I’ll get one.
How much can I configure it?
i really want a 5sec delay after a read before it reads again to avoid double scanning and leaking the ID, eg I leaked it once in a chat… I’d rather avoid that with my next implant.

2 Likes

What format does the kbr1 put out now?

Hex, lower case, no delimeter

1 Like

Hi,
short questions, how you handle if the reader will be used for passwords at a PC / Laptop and that device have to change his password all 30-60 days? Usually companies set a rule that you can´t use the last 5 ones. That will mean that you cvan´t use the UID again.

What implant do you have and what tools do you have to read and / or write to it?
Are you using a HF reader for your computer, like the KBR1?

Alternatively, depending on the specific rules to the passwords, you could just add your UID to the start or end of a new word every month

Get something with a changeable UID. Maybe an xM1? I’m sure @Pilgrimsmaster will enlighten you further.

1 Like

Use a password and a ID part.
Secret1a2b3c4d5e6f7a or something like that.
Then you can change the first half of the password and use the ID as pseudo-2FA.

1 Like

Ah sorry. I´ve a NeXt.
Yeah, like the idea of adding the ID at the end of some pw but then you have to type the pw every time and use the NeXt as 2FA as described, right?
My idea is to get rid of typing the pw :wink:

1 Like

Depending on the password character requirement, If you had 2 or 3 x ISO14443A implants you could do something like
Month one implant 1
Month two implant 2
Month three implant 1&2
Month four implant 2&1
etc

Alternatively you could do as @anon7067117 suggested, get an xM1 or similar and change the UID once a month…

1 Like

got it. Yes, the NeXt don´t has the changeable ID :frowning:

1 Like

An implant which combines both the NeXt and the xM1 would be perfect :wink:

how you handle if the reader will be used for passwords at a PC / Laptop and that device have to change his password all 30-60 days?

Rohos + acr122 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like this might require software to installed, which may not be possible on a company computer.

1 Like

I can’t speak for other readers but with my reader from rf-ideas you can change how the uid is exported

Weigand or hex or etc, at least 5 or 6 different ways to display the same uid

1 Like

@Eriequiet, what reader are you using? Can you link it?

@amal ,in the KBR redesign, would certainly be nice to have it redesigned a bit so that in one mode, you could configure it to read for a certain record, and/or read from X to Y blocks/bytes, and in the other mode, it appears as a generic USB keyboard. Specifically for the password scenario and many others. One xNT could have multiple passwords stored, if multiple KBRs were connected, which is a common use case in a corporate scenario.

1 Like

I’ll let him correct me if I’m wrong but I think it is this one

https://www.rfideas.com/products/readers/single-frequency/wave-id-nano

1 Like