RFID car ignition kill switch, looking for guidance

I want to be able to use my implant as a “key” for a hidden kill switch in my car. The car has a key start, and part of my goal is to keep the key ignition so no one looking to steal the car will suspect anything. I was thinking of using an Arduino and an NFC antenna from the kit used in the video I am linking below in this post. I think I can use the video as a general guideline on how to achieve this. I figured I would be able to do this by wiring the arduino into the accessories line so I will turn the key to prime the accessories, thus turning on the arduino (so I do not kill the battery idly). However the car will not start by sending power to the starter when the key is turned to the start position. Until the correct NFC tag’s UID is presented to the antenna. Then I could turn over the engine and start the car. I figured there needs to be an led or something to indicate a successful read of the UID.

I just don’t know if this is a feasible means to do this. Has anyone done this under similar circumstances (wanted to keep the key start over a push button), and how did they go about it? Does anyone think I am on the right path? Or am I just living in my own Private Idaho? I just want a nudge in the right direction so I can prove wrong all the people that tell me I am stupid for getting an implant or that it is useless. >:)

Car in question in case it matters: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Implant: xNT NFC Chip
Video I referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z84I3GywQ&t=133s

Oh yes more then feasible, xAC with a latching relay and a normal relay to boot job done. Drop that into the ignition line from the ignition switch and job done, cost around £50 and about 1/2hrs to do.

The only problem with my plan is you would need an xEM not an xNT so new implant?

If not the same could easily as you say be accomplished with an arduino no problem

1 Like

You could even do it discrete, no microcontroller (beyond the one in the reader) required, depending on your skill level / how much electronic components you have in stock, it would be simpler and easier.