RFID lock for hidden door?

I’ll be installing a hidden bookcase door in my office in a couple months, which opens to my whiskey collection, and as I thought about it, having the look work via RFID seems like a fun idea and great use of the new implant(s) I’m also going to be getting around the same time (assuming I can hold out for Apex and don’t get impatient haha, we’ll see).

I figure I could probably get something made for locking drawers/cabinets and make it work, but anyone else secure a door or anything similar with an RFID based lock? There are a TON of them on amazon/etc, but without testing them in person I’m flying a bit blind on what the quality would be like.

Doesn’t have to be paranoid levels of secure, just enough that it won’t open by accident or if my kid decides to try to get in there for some reason (he’s 4 so not SUPER worried about booze going missing… yet)

1 Like

Quickest and easiest would be an xAC with a electronic latch Look here

2 Likes

Agreed.
The best reader for our LF implants, there are other options, but the xAC is awesome.
Your locking mechanism will depend on how you build your door.
another good cheap and simple lock, that won’t draw power when idle is one that @ODaily used in his Magic toolbox project

1 Like

Oh, that looks like something I can definitely steal ideas from be inspired by. Thanks.

1 Like

Yeah a great, well thought out and executed project

1 Like

Ooh I havent seen the toolbox project. Also this obviously also depends if you have/want to have a LF or HF tag

2 Likes

I will very likely end up with a combo of both by the time I get some implants. My very likely first 2 will be an Apex and NExT, I’m assuming… though I’m waiting to learn what Apex turns into when it’s released before my final choice of what would compliment it best… if I can stay patient enough… maybe.

1 Like

Just remember to leave yourself a non-power using way of access. Just in case. Murphy’s law is a bitch.

3 Likes

I’d use an xAC connected to a magnetic lock or a drop bolt.

Remember also to make sure you have a mechanical bypass to enter and exit the room or a plan for if something goes wrong.

Should the electronics fail, you don’t want a lovely hidden door in a bookcase that you have to destroy to get inside. And just as importantly, if you’re inside you want to be certain you can always leave!

Using a magnetic lock has the downside of always needing power to stay locked, but that could be an advantage in your situation - acts as your bypass, just kill the power. It’s not exactly secure, but sounds like you’re doing this more for the novelty (I’ve also been looking into bookshelf doors with rfid locks!)

2 Likes

Good call. I might build a hatch on the back wall I can access with a physical key or something if the need arises, or find a way to swap the power to an external battery and hide it somehow…I dunno. Gotta get the door setup and figure all that out first.

I might just get a Murphy door from Home Depot and modify it… At least I wouldn’t be starting from scratch.

1 Like

You know, while you’re in the planning stage, how about devoting a thread to your build? I always have thought that seeing how a project comes together, including the good, the bad, and the ugly, does wonders for anyone else who might be interested in learning from or emulating the idea.

4 Likes

@ODaily Once some decisions are made and real work starts I will definitely do that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Magnetic lock might be a tad overkill for a hidden door since most of them are rated for alot of force, you could probably go with a rfid cabinet lock since its not meant to survive actual physical attacks.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I ordered a couple RFID cabinet/drawer locks so I could work on it, and possibly take one apart and put it into the side of the door if needed. We’ll see how that goes haha

1 Like

The cabinet locks can be a bit funny on their RFID reading performance, especially if you are trying to conceal them.

There are definitely some lighter duty magnets, such as this 60KG one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32691218025.html

But if that is too much of overkill, drop bolts are also pretty easy to intergrate
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33003041451.html

The big advantage to using something like these or the solenoid latch shown in the toolbox project linked above is that it can be triggered by the xAC, which has a much more suitable antenna and may be easier to conceal and still get good reads.

2 Likes

True, might be easier to conceal to.

1 Like