Rosco the only American around to have emmigrated?

Not only that, but Uncle Sam charges you a pretty penny for the privilege. North of $2300 currently. I find it utterly disgusting that the US holds you by the balls from the moment you’re born, and will only let go of them if you cough up what amounts to a month’s wage for a lot of people. Fuckers…

1 Like

Quick research, out of interest (in USD$)
~$500 to renounce UK :uk:
~$300 to renounce NZ :new_zealand:
~$100 to renounce OZ :australia:

…I’m sorry what the actual fuck?

You have to pay a country to be able to tell them to fuck off?

Sigh, I don’t want to live on this planet anymore

2 Likes

I am for sure keeping my Aussie citizenship when I finally get baptized as a Canoodle

1 Like

Yes. Ain’t that a beauty? Talk about the ultimate mark of indenture.

Fuckin thank you rosco that’s really good advice, I’ve always scoffed at the idea of having an accountant but that definitely will help me leagues if I make it to the Netherlands. I’ve been doing my own taxes for nearly 4 years now and oh boy is it going to start getting complicated now that I trade stocks

1 Like

Personally, I feel that way about cooking. I can cook edible food to survive, but I’ll never be great at it. I’m definitely willing to pay someone whose suited for it to make delicious food that I can enjoy. I don’t mind paying a premium for the time I save and get a better end result.

I’m Dutch and lived in the Netherlands my entire life, but my partner emigrated from the USA two years ago to live with me.
Our recommendation is to only bring your personal irreplaceable treasures that you can’t part with, replace everything else.
Checking a second suitcase was cheaper than shipping the same belongings.
Most Dutch citizens speak English.

3 Likes

As soon as I finish my degree I plan to immigrate to Canada. My family isn’t very supportive, but I’m tired of hearing “If you don’t like it here then leave” So if any of you guys wanna give me tips for getting a work visa in Canada pm me

This might not be far enough actually… if things keep going like they have been, Canada might be like 1939 Poland.

https://eand.co/we-dont-know-how-to-warn-you-any-harder-america-is-dying-26ff80912391

3 Likes

Hell… that’s frightening.
I’m not living in America, never been there, but I’m from germany and I know what happened here, some decades ago - I always hesitate to compare anything to nazi germany, simply because I think nothing can actually be compared to those horrors, but there are indeed similarities to the very beginning of what went so horribly wrong here.

Additionally, I might have overlooked several news, but did Trump really called immigrants “vermin”? It reminds me of the massacres in Ruanda, where one very important thing to get people to slaughtering their neighbors was to make them think that they were not even human after all… this seriously makes me sick.

And there are tons of people who will give this man their vote, again.

Sorry if I go too deep into politics here (usually one of the taboo-themes here), but this is so… dunno, out of words currently.

Oh yeah? Try Stalin (more deaths in Soviet gulags and at the Lubianka than in Nazi Germany in fact, and just as horrible and industralized), Pol Pot, Kim Il Sung… Hitler was just one of them, and simply the one we despise the most because history is written by the winners - when it’s written at all.

1 Like

I know that there were a lot of somehow similar things going on in the world… could throw in the things Japan did during that time, too, for example.
Still… might be because I grew up here, but it feels wrong. Maybe none of these can be compared at all, for what will you take into comparison? Number of killed people? Grade of “industrialization”? Cruelty of experiments? What about the massacres that just didn’t reach those numbers, like Ruanda or Yugoslavia…

But I totally agree with you that Hitler was, ultimately, just “one of them”, in a way. Stupid me was hoping that there will never be “one of them” again, but I fear that it might be a part of mankind to have such demagogues as well as people who willingly follow them.

History repeats itself because humanity has a knack for forgetting the past.

Quite frankly, I stay clear the hell away from the US like I’d have stayed clear away from Germany in 1936. It’s headed that way, slowly but surely. Just look at police forces across the US: they look uncannily like storm troopers. Scary shit…

It’s also my firm belief that the US will start WWIII, and sooner rather than later. That’s why I enjoy my life so much: it’s so much I’ll have enjoyed before the war starts.

Heavy read.

In Trump’s case, he studied it. Mein Kampf is his bible. No, humans can be terrible because we’ve not evolved past this yet… like the scorpion who stings the frog, it’s in our nature. There are those who revel in this terrible nature, and there are those that rise above it. I hold out hope that those who rise will ultimately be the ancestors of humanity’s future.

3 Likes

But if you can see that so clearly (and that’s the opinion on Trump of many europeans as well), why on earth does he get that many votes? We’ve got stupid (and dangerous) politicians in Germany as well, but they are heavily opposed because “don’t let history repeat itself” is used like a mantra, again and again… and it still works, not as good as I’d wish, but it keeps dangerous people at bay. For now, at least.
It’s so hard for me to understand why, with all the hilarious stuff Trump already said (or tweeted), with all the things going really wrong with the police, with all that going on, there is so little resistance against him. It’s so obvious where this is heading, or at least what this can lead to…

I’m not sure he did. Most people haven’t read Mein Kampf. Those who did know it’s utterly boring and almost impossible to get through the second tome unless you consciously decide you want to read it all the way and arm yourself with a lot of patience. Trump is too ADHD for that.

But as always, Trump isn’t the problem: he’s the symptom. Those who forget history are the ignoramuses who voted him in office. Anybody who’s gone to school even a little bit and remember any of what was said there doesn’t vote for Trump for a variety of reasons, not all of them having to do with the lessons of history.

Like the many Germans that fled Germany in the 1930s before war broke out, those who can see are starting to look around nervously… those who can’t are blinded by their own ignorance and rage. They can’t see anything objectively or introspectively. America is a capitalist crucible that has been crushing people with ever increasing inequality and poverty for decades, and like 1920s Germany we are now facing a huge population of disenfranchised angry people, the government is printing money like 1920s Germany, we’re headed for an economic depression that will surely push huge sections of people into poverty… all of this is what gave Hitler power and it’s what is giving Trump power. Like a nation become lynch mob, people want blood and just need a crooked finger to point them in any direction and they will unleash all that pain and fury at anyone or anything in that general direction. Classic dumb humans.

1 Like

Not quite: the US borrows humongous amounts of money that everybody know it’ll never be able to pay back. That’s all fine and dandy until the creditors - mainly China - call on the debt to be repaid. When that happens the greenback will collapse into nothingness in two seconds flat.

Luckily, China won’t do that because it’d also collapse its own economy in the process. The US and China are in a kind of financial Mexican standoff. Still, the situation isn’t tenable. One day the bubble will burst and war will start.

1 Like