Sand sized implant?

Is this a typo in the article? The size of a grain of sand?

If not, would each of those have their own UID and nothing else pretty much? Is anything like this available? I feel it would work great with task to have several tiny little implants with their own UID. (Right?)

1 Like

Watching the small video they had on the article, I feel like ā€˜grain of sandā€™ is more than likely just an over exaggeration for a sorta shocking effect for the reader.

One day though, Iā€™m sure thatā€™ll no longer be an exaggeration!

1 Like

On a work computer, video wonā€™t load. Thanks for that. They got my hopes up!

If it helpā€™s sedate your curiosity, it just looks like a standard RFID Implant.

Hereā€™s a snapshot from the video; if it loads for you.

2 Likes

Yeah itā€™s an X form factor chip. Possibly not a DT chip as it was not in an injector. Itā€™s a NFC chip of some sort with 1k of storage and heā€™s using to store a gif or a url to a gif as ndef data.

1 Like

That did! I only wish there was a banana for scale.

It does appear smaller, just not sure by how much.

you ask; and you shall receive

(not to proper scale if you couldnā€™t tell)

4 Likes

1 Like

Tbh the guy probably got muddled up between ā€œgrain of sandā€ and the more accurate/common ā€œgrain of riceā€

2 Likes

Was my guess, the site just wouldnā€™t load here at work.

It would be a common mistake. Especially if the person themselves writing it didnā€™t have full experience with the tech. The article was more than likely written by someone who was just briefed on vaguely what to write about.

2 Likes

Actually he said ā€œgrain of sandā€ in the video. I think they essentially quoted him and if youā€™re not used to interviews itā€™s easy to get words mixed up.

2 Likes

Anyway, Iā€™d say itā€™s not best to really get mixed up in the whole semantics of it. But looking back on the article, holy hell that was seven years ago!

If I read that article seven years ago, I honestly wouldnā€™t believe it. Feels strange to see how far weā€™ve came. And, how this sorta stuff is becoming more mainstream by the year.

2 Likes

Lol sorry, us programmers are particularly guilty of being caught up in semantics.

1 Like

Coarse sand maybe? :slight_smile:

Itā€™s actually an xNT. Anthony went to a pro who was more comfortable using their own install methods.

Actually, this is where proper terminology clashes with ā€œmarketing speakā€ which is almost always incorrect. If we are speaking accurately, the ā€œchipā€ is just the silicon IC inside the ā€œtagā€, which is the entire form factor. The ā€œtagā€ is like a huge ass grain of rice, but the ā€œchipā€ inside is actually about the size of a grain of sand. Unfortunately ā€œmarketing speakā€ is also ā€œlayman termsā€ and ā€œa chipā€ is thought to be the entire form factor, when itā€™s actually notā€¦ so in reality, he was being correct and accurate with his description. In fact, I made that exact distinction in conversation with him and I think he tried to convey it, but of course it was hacked and edited and all meaningful context was removed until it sounds like he doesnā€™t know what heā€™s talking about.

3 Likes

I did a TV interview when I was younger and that happened to me. In a way it was a great experience for me because I got a ver hands on lesson about how easy it is to manipulate the naritive of interviews in post.

2 Likes