Setting up Samsung SHS-3321 with NeXT

Hey guys! New to biohacking, installed my NeXT 48 hours ago, and the swelling is gone now. Super happy with the install, but after writing my contact info/business card to the NFC chip and installing the Samsung SHS-3321 I ordered, it doesn’t seem to allow me to pair the implant with the front door lock! I used my xLED indicator to see the best position to pair it, followed the pairing procedure included in the instructions for the lock, and even paired a few included Samsung cards with the door. For some reason, it doesn’t allow me to pair my NeXT though!

I would be super grateful if anyone can provide insight into how they set up their own NeXT with their Samsung door lock. Thanks.

1 Like

This thread might be worth a read

4 Likes

I’m gonna try the twisting motion Amal mentioned in the thread, other than that I hope I can get this working, since access control is the reason I got the implant in the first place haha

1 Like

Reporting back after 10 mins of doing the twisting motion, I had to stop because it started hurting, but it doesn’t seem to be picking up my tag no matter how I orient it. That being said I have pretty large hands which makes this whole process a little harder. I really hope it’s not the chip. :frowning: @amal

2 Likes

It’s likey not the chip as they get tested for function prior to being inserted and sterilized.

Ice seen other accounts where it was the unit itself. I’d ask for a replacement. But first, try to registering the tags that come with the lock and see if that works. You might not be doing things in the correct steps

2 Likes

I registered all 4 of the tags that came with it successfully, so it’s not the procedure I don’t think.

The procedure I’m using is:
Press register button on back.
Type in master code and press *
Type in user number (made sure to use one that hasn’t already been used) and press * again.
Hold implant (or NFC card) up to the reader (I even checked positioning with the xLED).

I am stumped on why this isn’t working. May be the unit itself.

I commented on someone having this exact issue not too long ago. The issue is with the door lock it would seem and as of late the samsung door locks seem to only accept mifare classic chips such as the xM1. As far as we determined with the other thread, your SOL, because the mifare classic and the chip in the NExT cant imitate it. We had tested it using proper cards with the same chip as the NExT and no dice, thus ruling out a coupling issue. For now, it seem like support for this chip in new samsung locks has been pulled in favor of restricting it to the mifare classic 1k.

3 Likes

So are the people with NExT’s out of luck with regard to access control? :frowning: Do you think this is something that would only affect this particular model of Ezon or is this something that would affect all of the Ezon series locks? Maybe I can ask Amal if he’ll send me an xM1 to put in my right hand. I would love to get this working whichever way possible.

1 Like

It depends what type of lock you have. I’m in Europe so deadbolt locks are not that prevalent here. But you can install a euro cylinder lock, like this one which I’ll end up getting later.
Unfortutely eurocylinder locks are few and far between. Also I have a uPVC door so I can’t just willy nilly drill into it to make space for a new type of lock.

3 Likes

@amal I want to buy a replacement lock (that isn’t the 3321 since they are confirmed not working by multiple sources) How do we know that samsung hasn’t blocked the xNT and NExT chip from all their newest production models via software? I really want to be able to open my front door with my hand (the whole reason I bought the NExT in the first place). :frowning:

1 Like

Samsung seems to have dropped support for external cards in their current firmware, as we know that 3321s used to work as well as many other Samsung smart deadbolts, and recently there seem to be issues popping up. From some basic experimentation done with cards, we determined that they are not accepting anything other than Mifare Classic cards, and it has nothing to do with failed coupling.

The possibility of dumping the firmware from a working lock using JTAG and then figuring out how to flash that onto new locks to give them the functionality back is being discussed here, and @amal is offering a loaner lock to anyone with the capability and knowledge to do so, however as of right now it seems the best bet is to stay away from them.

2 Likes

We don’t, unfortunately. The only way to not be at the mercy of lock makers is to make our own locks… unfortunately that’s a very expensive proposition… do we have any mechanical engineers in the house? Can we reverse engineer some locking mechanisms? Can we make our own design? The electronics are not the issue for us, it’s the mechanical design that’s at issue.

I started this topic just now: https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/open-source-deadbolt-lock

with a fresh empty github repo: https://github.com/vivokey/lock-deadbolt

2 Likes