Short range but wide area antenna design?

Implant at D+8. It looks clean now:

And here I’ve tried to fold up the skin on camera. Not terribly pleasant. You can see the edge of the flexEM trying to slice its way out at the very end:

Wouldn’t just encasing it with something hard and inflexible, like a biosafe plastic disc or two, work too?

Also to answer for amal :stuck_out_tongue: the goop can be layered. Amal mentioned that in some thread about those PegLegs, but there he said how tedious it would be, so not suitable for mass production. I guess he’d have to repeat the full process numerous times, kinda being like 20 conversions…

Yeah sure. I guess what I was trying to say is that I’d rather have a smooth, hard pebble-shaped implant there than a Dremel cutting disk, regardless of what it’s made of or how it’s made.

Ah yeah ok, my idea would still be very flat, maybe 1 or 2mm.
I wonder if you could make moulds for the epoxy (from flexNails or x series)… maybe extremely fine sanding n polishing to get rid of edges and spots for bacteria.

That would be hard and you could make it as thick and round as you want.

That’s the thing: very flat is great under taut skin, but is far from ideal under floppy skin with little to no support underneath.

1 Like

I know one of the main reasons why implants are not covered with silicone is because it would lead to thick, ugly blocks - but that might just be what you’re looking for :wink:
And I agree, the very thin shape of the flexies is a problem if your skin moves or folds a lot… and even a relatively thick silicone implant, say 4-5 mm, will still sink down enough to be basically invisible - that’s why the Haworth implants can’t be placed on your belly, for example.

They can’t because they sink down and it’s dangerous, or they can but it’s pointless because they become invisible?

This one, at least that’s the point my artist made… If you place it where it should go, below the skin but on top of fascia-/muscle-level, I don’t think they should sink down into your body.
I asked him where those silicone implants can be placed, and he said “almost” everywhere - not above joints, because it would be dangerous / uncomfortable at least, and not above “soft spots” like the belly, because they would be pretty much invisible.
I don’t know where you are planning to put the implant, but I guess most places should be safe :wink:

Well, in the belly. Deeper than skin-deep if possible, as this is supposed to be a temp sensor and I don’t have much padding upon my person.

If Haworth’s implants were truly rigid (or close to), if would be interesting to ask him to embed a DT implant into one of his.

Well… it’s silicone, so… it’s not really “rigid”. My power button was flexible enough to be squeezed through an incision that was about half its size :wink:
But it is very smooth and has no edges at all that could pinch you from the inside, so it should work really well - if it is thick enough, it should provide enough protection for the implant, even though it’s not completely stiff.
The location is interesting, though I’m not sure if implanting anything deeper than skin-deep is a good idea. I’m not sure how much an implant will travel if it’s not held in place by some sort of tissue :woman_shrugging: Guess I’ll leave those speculation to the more medical pro’s here - that’s out of the range of my bodmod knowledge :smile:

It’d need to be fully rigid, even for DT flex implants, because despite the name, I think they really should flex as little as possible. Flex implants already tend to fatigue-fail when they flex long enough in semi-rigid bits of the body, let alone in fully squishy ones.

On top of that, that NFC temp sensor I’m considering is the same construction as the Bullseye that went into the flexNExT - and you know how well that worked out :slight_smile:

Are you only talking about the flexEM which is a hard disc, or are you talking about the standard flexes? I think the standard flex form factor is perfectly fine in looser parts of your body. I have some in my upper arm which is loose and I lay on it while sleeping, and I’ve never had a painful sensation.

Ugh. Yes… funny thing that you want to try that out again…^^

But I’m not sure if it has to be completely rigid - if you implant something in your squishy bits, it might not get flexed at all. I mean, the flexNExT on your arm was moved by the bones and tendons moving beneath it, as well as the one on top of my hand. If it’s implanted somewhere in your belly, I don’t think it will twist that much… or I have totally wrong assumptions about the anatomy of our bellies… :thinking:

It’ll move by breathing, eating too much refried beans and letting the resulting farts out, getting punched in the stomach… that sort of thing. It’s inevitable: the human body is only ever completely static when it’s dead.

Yeah I want to try it again, but I don’t want it to flex at all. There isn’t much choice for NFC temp sensors apart from those stickers. It’ll be fine as long as it’s set once and never moves again.

I thought the consensus was nobody agreed to anything about location names, did I miss a memo? What’s D+8?

Er… Sorry, I meant “Day +8” :slight_smile:
I.e. it’s been in for a week.

Yeah it’s tedious… I think I’d look into other materials actually for thicker things that need some softer edges. The challenge will be production… I can’t think of a good easy way to properly round those edges other than doing it with a kind of hot knife basically, which turns each piece produced into an art project.

Ah no worries. If I ever implant somewhere in my belly, I’ll hit you up for a custom project or something. Not anytime soon though, as you well know.

As for the back flexEM, I can feel the skin thickening in a hurry back there. And the implant pinches less and less every day. I’m pretty sure my body is in full emergency self-protection “isolate that thing at all costs” mode. It’s really something…

Hmm, interesting: I went for a sauna, and my back implant suddenly feels half coated with the same collagen funk that appeared all of the sudden on my flexNExT last year, pretty much at the same time after installation. And just like the flexNExT, it’s happened in the space of an hour. I know because I felt the implant going in and coming out, and I immediately felt the difference.

Soo Amal I think this one can definitely be attributed to the recalled glued packaging, because really that’s the only thing those two implants of mine have in common.

Sounds like it