Skin anchor idea

It’s too soft. If I press my finger inside the center hole, the inner edge sinks down with it.

I can grab it’s “wings” on the outside diameter and lift them, but then it starts biting because the edges are too thin.

1 Like

Dang, I was hoping you could use it to get some testing done before you commit to a ring in your other arm.

Well, there is an easy way to test - the same easy way to test anything subdermal before implanting it: put it behind my cheek :slight_smile: It’s just that I haven’t done it yet.

I have a thick cheek, do you think it will function the same through the skin?

The cheek is much thicker than just skin (it has two sides after all). That’s why I use it to test transponder range: if I put a transponder in my mouth and in rings outside, it’ll work as a regular implant.

It is probably too thick to properly test the skin anchor idea. Still, you can try it yourself: stick your little finger in your mouth and grab it from the outside near the area around the corner of the mouth, where the cheek is thinnest: you can grab it fine and pull it quite hard without actually pinching the skin very hard.

1 Like

Well I understand this, it makes sense.

What I was thinking.

I am not so worried about the pinch being to tight to cause pain or obvious blood flow reduction, as much as I am it being just enough pressure to cause necrosis.

Still, your ideas fascinate me, as I enjoy the other aspects of the medical side of it. We should get a drink the next time we are close.

Part of me wonders if you would be better off with slight magnetic pressure instead of trapping your skin. I still can’t help but think there will be a point where the skin does experience that fold or pinch point. You are right when you say you will have to train your body for it. I can’t see it happening on its own.

Not sure if it is plausible, but could you set a plate in arm, or little pieces of metal, and use electric magnets to hold it on? Program it so it alternates which magnet is powered? Or is that too much for a wrist device?

The way I see it, the problem with magnets is that if the pinch is weak enough to be safe, it’s too weak to hold anything securely. If the pull is stronger and secures the device better, it pinches too hard and kills the tissue.

That’s why a mechanical attachment works: it only applies force if you pull on it. If you don’t, it lets go. Case in point: if you put a collar on a cat, the cat will live its life just fine. It’ll only choke if the collar catches on a tree branch and the cat hangs itself.

Eriequiet’s idea of having many weak magnets to spread the load would probably work. But 12 Titans just to hold a wristwatch? Holy mother of an implant job just for that. Not to mention… 6 grand :slight_smile:

1 Like

You forgot the discount after 4

So ONLY $4,400 :money_mouth_face:

Remember though, the titan is only that expensive because it needs to be encased in titanium, to remain small and light enough to sense with

If you don’t care about sensing, you could use non titan magnets in the bio polymer

Which would probably be better anyways as the polymer would disperse the force a bit

1 Like

A properly washed large fridge magnet ought to do the trick :slight_smile:

1 Like

You joke, but now you got me thinking

What if you did a large flat implant, with lower force like flexible fridge magnets

That would present less tissue risk

Excuse me while I got steal some fridge magnets

(God iOS autocorrect hates DT)

1 Like

Magnetic forces decrease exponentially as the distance increases. A flat rubber magnet would not attract anything through skin.

Yea… nvm little to no magnetic range

use 2

Edit: Was a joke

I tried that, and weirdly 2 flexible magnets attract less, than 1 to a metal surface

I’m sure it had to do with the Metal surface having more science words that allows for a better interaction of the magnetic fields

1 Like

So, I have a crazy idea.

What if you use a system like this one, (I don’t feel like photoshopping my own tonight) and those two things at the bottom? What if they are sharp and pierce you?

I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like if you could install it, and leave it, you may be able to make 2 little “holes” over time that you can eventually use a regular prong that can be switched, instead of sharp ones.