Skin grafting for transdermals?

@anon3825968 true necrosis is an issue, but this is not a bad idea for temporary moving of power and data… like snap it on, move your shit… 5 mins max maybe? … then snap it off and walk… could be nice actually.

Absolutely… worked on some coatings once… the bottom line here is that skin is your barrier to infection, and now you want to put a permanent hole in it. The only way TDs are going to work long term is if there is a way to get the skin and tissue to literally bond with the metal or substrate coming out in a way that is actually sealed, not just kinda grown into, but sealed to the point where the skin is acting as a microbial barrier.

That, or trick the body into growing a different kind of tissue structure around the transdermal… something like how gums grow around teeth. Your gums are constantly trying to close up around your teeth, and the way they interface with and grow into the roots sets up a battleground for the constant march of microbes into that space… the body knows it can’t form an actual seal, so it puts the tissue structures to work to trap and kill them… but it is a constant battle waged there… so unless you can get your skin to act the same way, the skin will eventually lose and the device will be rejected as its surface is inundated with invadors, many of which will set up biofilms and other protective measures to establish even stronger surface colonies… it’s called “biofouling” and it is one serous reason why implants must have specific surface qualities. Even a fully implanted, covered, and encapsulated implant can serve as a colonization point for random bacteria floating around in our body… particularly staph… which is everywhere on and inside us.

When a staph bacterium attaches to the surface of an implant, if the surface allows proliferation, that bacterium will go about establishing a colony and producing biofilm over-top of that colony to hide and protect itself from the body’s defenses… until the colony is so large it’s producing a ton of effluent (waste) which often causes certain symptoms in the body, and then the white blood cells go on the hunt… but honestly biofilms that protect colonies are very hard to get through, especially on implantable devices… this is why pacemakers and other implants (usually titanium but also plastics) sometimes have to be removed after only a few years… because the surface has “fouled” and is covered in a giant colony of bacterium… all pumping out crap proteins and other garbage that can make you very ill or even kill you.

Anyway… transdermals are hard.

7 Likes

i’m sure everyone probably knows what i’m talking about, but just in case, this is kinda what i had in mind. rather than trying to coax the skin to adhere directly to the implant, replace the skin with a friendly material already adhered to the implant, through which the implant could be accessed. i’m obviously not a medical expert at all, so my positioning of things on this diagram might probably be ridiculous, but i think it at least gets my point across.

after starting this thread, i almost immediately realized how stupid this idea is tho, as much as i don’t want to admit it. the issue was “skin does not want to adhere to transdermal objects” and my proposed solution was “let’s try to get it to adhere to a different transdermal object.” i dunno.

on the other hand, the magnetic ‘semi-wireless’ solution sammich proposed sounds interesting. i guess i’ll start looking into that, though i’m not a huge fan of the idea of having to make specialized cables for it. i’m saying that without having done much digging tho, so who knows.

There are a bunch of magnet adaptors that clip onto USB C and micro cables. People use them on their phones for an easier connection. Mine is cable of charging and data transfer.

this is what i was originally intending on using for my transdermal idea, i even linked the set i was tinkering with in the original post. i wanted to take the magnet connector tip, remove the actual connector itself from the magnetic bit, wire it directly into my device, and embed that in my skin. however, these all work with metal contacts, that are held in place with magnetic rings. they’re not actually wirelessly transferring power or data. at least mine don’t.

I would disagree buddy, you had AN idea, you saw a problem, and looked for a solution, not stupid at all.
Keep thinking and keep coming up with ideas…

That is exactly how I read it…

Some do, and if you knew that at the time, you would realise how NOT stupid your idea is…
See, great idea, with investigating…
good luck with it

1 Like

where would i find such cables? or is there a proper name for them? the only stuff i’m managing to find are like the ones i posted, with the metal contacts held in place by magnets. buh

Random question how often will you plug in?

Apologies, I re-read your comment, and you are correct

Sorry for getting your Hopes up :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

nah, figured it prolly wasn’t a thing anyways. sounded like weird technomagic to me. thanks anyways tho!

without saying too much, depends on the person i guess. me personally, probably not very often at all, but reading around, i think other people might use this quite often, maybe multiple times a day.

i hope my vagueness isn’t too bothersome, i promise this thing really isn’t all that super interesting, i just don’t want to lose my drive for this.

1 Like

I was wondering if you could circumvent the issues of transdermal and have a magnetic mount sub dermal and using a form of piercing probe through the skin to the implant underneath.

if i’m reading this correctly, the user would stab themselves every time they needed to use the interface?
i feel like that’d almost certainly damage the implant, or at the very least, its coating, aside from also just being kinda slightly painful. not a completely terrible idea tho, or else i’m just misunderstanding

1 Like

Basically yes, the implant could have exposed titanium or some other biocompatable conductor. The probe would be in the form of a hypodermic creating a electrical connection through the skin. The magnet will locate the probes befor puncturing the skin.

As for “pain” it would be no worse than a scratch.

My assumption was that this would normally be only done once after healing, for common use this wouldn’t be ideal but would still be better (imo) than a semi permanent hole in the skin.

Another option
Have you looked a choclea implants they use a magnet to locate and a coupled antenna arrangement not too dissimilar to nfc.

2 Likes

cochlears crossed my mind for a brief moment when we were first brainstorming how we might do this, but i figured it was more complicated than i’d like to bother with. this thread’s definitely made the idea seem a lot more appealing tho, so i’ll start digging in that direction. thanks!

Apply enough voltage to the cochlears and you will be brainstorming - and the cochlear might literally cross your mind also :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I mean, it isn’t a bad idea depending on what it is you are using it for, they have medical devices like this already.

port

Yep, blood sugar monitors and insulin pumps pop to mind to.

Saw a ad for these, they only have a life of 14 days but if be curious how they prevent infection

https://www.freestyle.abbott/ca/en/products/libre.html

In a word, glue. There is medical skin glue that is more like rubber cement. I’ve tested 7 different types that are all designed to keep devices attached or connected to skin in some way. Some last only a few days while some can last up to a few weeks… but they all eventually come loose after the skin underneath grows enough to slough off the glue along with the dead skin cells. When you have a device with a 2 week lifespan, you prep the skin with disinfectant, then present the sterilized interface through the skin, with the external side fully encircled by sterile glue (like on adhesive bandages is sterile along with the gauze pad).

Long term lines that we put in patients in the hospital usually get these around the insertion site,

With that said, 14 days is long for some of these lines, and they get replaced due to infection.

Sometimes the trade off is we can fight the infection, and keep the site open for other stuff.

To be honest though, most are showing signs of infection after like 3 days.

2 Likes

Those lines take a whole lot more abuse usually though dont they?