Sliding patio door lock

Mostly 3D printed patio door lock using an arduino nano, Stepper motor/TB6600 motor driver, and Wiegand reader.

The lock can be operated manually by the lever on the inside, and tapping the reader on the outside will lock/unlock when the door is closed.
Right now it uses a reed switch to determine the lock position, but it will soon be changed to use a potentiometer for smoother operation.

It still needs a lot of work, and all the wires need to be cleaned up, but it is functional. 20 second video showing operation

Adding some screen shots from fusion360

Main body

The motor turns the yellow gear, and reduces twice to turn the lock with the green gear. Blue is for manual operation.

The space behind the blue gear is for a potentiometer. i want to be able to measure the position of the lock with better accuracy than the current reed switch/magnet set up.

9 Likes

Love your work, great design. and smooth operation.
What is your next iteration going to have incorporated?
Battery pack, mains plug, backup jumpers, Spring loaded?
is your end goad to fabricate out of metal, just a project, Product to market?
great share, thanks.

1 Like

Would you be willing to share the STL files? Would be great to get a look at the internals! :smiley:

2 Likes

I think the most impressive thing here is you’re confident your sliding door will open with a motor. I’ve personally never seen one in real life that opens and closes smoothly. Not even my shower door does.

3 Likes

Its not closing or opening its locking :wink:

Great project would also love to get a look at the cad, what package did you use?

3 Likes

Your shower has a lock…?

MbK

4 Likes

Oh that makes more sense, I just saw motor and assumed. Just ignore me then.

3 Likes

What is your next iteration going to have incorporated?

Installing a pot to measure the exact position of the lock and move to another exact position. Right now it only sees locked or unlocked, and sometimes gets it wrong. It also turns the stepper motor X amount of steps every cycle, so if the lever is partially turned, it will reach the end of its motion range and make a loud grinding noise. Don’t care for that.

is your end goad to fabricate out of metal, just a project, Product to market?

Its mostly just a project of convenience/boredom. If I could make the whole thing much smaller, and there was a demand for it, it would be cool to produce to market. I would have no idea how to even begin with that though.

2 Likes

I put up some snapshots of the model. Let me know if you want a different view.

2 Likes

So this clips on to the lock of your door I take it? And the slot in the green gear is the interface?
Very nice :smiley:

The lock actually gives a lot of resistance, it took more gear reduction than i thought to turn the lock.

2 Likes

I replaced the old inside handle with this unit. It fits on the same screws that held the old one on. And yes, i cut a metal strip that fits in that slot and matches the slot in the door. Thanks!

2 Likes

Dude that is SLICK!

3 Likes