Success! PN532 is not easy to work with!

With a real PN532 from DT (not a knockoff) I get a range of about 1cm from the board with a xNT.

it is possible to improve the antenna for greater reading distance, or that could be improved in the PN532 for a longer reading distance

The FlexNT has better range than the xNT because itā€™s bigger and has a bigger antenna as compared to the tiny glass tube. Itā€™s purely physics. The smaller it is, the worse the range, the bigger it is, the better the range. Thatā€™s not the only variable though. Design of the reader antenna does play a role.

In practice, more than a 1-1.5 cm with an xNT has been a challenge.

I hate to be the guy to revive a dead thread, but I purchased the exact model off amazon that @turbo2ltr did (I saw his review when I went back about a week later)

The DT version of the PN532 board is sold out, does anyone have an alternate source to buy a reliable antenna, or should I just get that bulky Adafruit breakout board? Iā€™d prefer not to if I can, as Iā€™m using an arduino nano for this project and trying to keep it small.

EDIT: Saw an electohouse logo on the homepage bannerā€™s PN532. The website has the V3ā€™s sold out, but they have a PN532 V4 for sale, that might be what Iā€™m looking for?

I see no reason that one wouldnā€™t work. I would assume youā€™d get legit product buying from them. The chip at least looks real.

Itā€™s funny they misspelled ā€œantennaā€ on the silkscreen.

1 Like

Yeah, I figured itā€™d be fine too. Iā€™ll order em, and update the thread with results, for anyone else wondering.

1 Like

Hey look into the .h file in the library theres a command to set the ex gain to max that REALLY helps. If I find it Iā€™ll pop the code up

1 Like

I found the .h file at
%USERPROFILE% \Documents\Arduino\Libraries\Adafruit_PN532\Adafruit_PN532.h

Donā€™t know a hell of a lot about software though, but Iā€™ll looking over it to see what I can see.

There is a line that is some thing like RX_Gain_max that line copy and paste into the init