Superglue or Butterfly Closure for Flex Install?

Skin glue sold for those painful skin fissures is the greatest scam since Milli Vanilli pronounced Girl You Know It’s True: it’s sold in mini-vials containing .0000001 ml for printer cartridge dollar, provides instant relief, and seals the fissures so good they never get a chance to heal, thereby perpetuating the problem and causing you to buy more mini-vials for more pain relief.

I use it with a drop of superglue at each end :slight_smile:

Tegaderm holds great, but I find the glue tends to irritate the hell out of my skin. After 10 days, I can’t wait to take it off: my skin is all red and itchy and it’s unbearable. I even started getting a blister once. Weirdly enough, superglue doesn’t do that for me.

That’s because you’re not supposed to leave tegaderm on for 10 days lol

No no, I change them regularly and leave the skin breathe for an hour or two in-between :slight_smile: But it still irritates me.

Yeah that’s also not how tegaderm works. It’s already breathable, there’s no reason to remove it and reapply. :blush:

Okay so educate me: how and how long is it supposed to be used and what do you replace it with when you’re supposed to quit using it? I’m using it that way because a doc told me to years ago after getting some wound or other stitched at the ER. If I should be doing something else, I’m all ears.

The reason why I keep using it right until I get the stitches off is because it won’t come off even when wet. Super convenient.

You just apply it and leave it for around 5-7 days before having to change it. 10 days is too long though for sure. But you definitely dont have to remove them to let them breathe, as they are already breathable :slight_smile:

Worth mentioning, I think an er nurse showed me some kind of adhesive tincture stuff that you put of your skin beforehand, and it dramatically increases adhesive properties

Unfortunately I immediately forgot what it was called lol

@Backpackingvet any idea what I’m talking about?

1 Like

Tincture of benzoin

It comes in some first aid kits (generally the better ones)

1 Like

That’s it

It’s Benzoin resin in alcohol and is basically used as a ”skin tackifying agent".

Same here - I used steristrips for both of my sutures, after the threads were out, and they lasted wonderfully… And my hospital used them on the flex removal suture as well (additionally to the suture itself), and they stayed in place for quite some time :woman_shrugging:
TBH, I tried to get butterfly closures first, but my local pharmacy only had steristrips at hand^^

Oh yes…
Redness, itching, blisters, all that annoying stuff - from tegaderm as well as from all other kind of plasters. Best solution for me was Transpore, I used it for fixating the plastic wrap on my scarification - only slight redness, no itching, no blisters :heart_eyes:
So now, when I have to cover a wound, I just take a sterile compress and fixate it with that stuff - nope, not beautiful, but it works^^

1 Like

I know what you’re saying, but I can’t help finding your wanting to preserve your delicate skin around those deep scorch marks you got done on purpose rather amusing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hehe, didn’t see it that way yet, but you’re totally right :rofl:

+1 on the butterfly closures and Tegaderm for ~6 days. I’ve had a good many flex installs and that’s the best way I’ve found so far. Steristrips are shite and skin glue is for small cuts

I really do have to wonder if steristrip have changed, or are different in the US. I haven’t needed them over here, but they were definitely more effective when I did use them than the ones that @amal posted. (Nasty gash on the sole of my foot)

When was that?

As I said earlier, about 20 years ago, in the UK.

That age and different country/continent make me wonder if they have changed for the worse.

Well either they became shit or you’re remembering incorrectly. I’m more inclined to believe the former.

1 Like

Me too. Given @Coma has a similar recollection it’s either a Europe/US difference or a change over time.

Of course back then I used to use Gee’s Linctus when I had a cold, and wondered why it wasn’t available in the US until I checked the active ingredients - Opium Tincture, Squill Oxymel. That stuff made you feel better.

I also remember them being equivalent to superglue level adhesive in my youth, not so much these
days