Testing xNT before implant

Hi,
I have just received my first xNT implant and wanted to try and read from it before I have it implanted into my hand but I cannot seem to detect it.

Logic would dictate that since it is powered by induction it may be unreadable from within the metal needle of the injection assembly, this is probably also intentional so that people cannot mess with the chips before the end user gets them.

My current assumption is that the above is true but I wanted to check if this is normal behaviour before I have a faulty chip implanted and of course I cannot remove it from the injector to test as it wouldn’t be sterile.

It is probably a daft question and the answer is probably staring me in the face in some of the documentation I’ve read but I can’t seem to find the answer.

Welcome to the forum!

You’ve hit the nail on the head, being in the assembly does make it basically unreadable (I believe it’s partially a faraday cage sort of situation, and also partially skin effect, but people with a stronger RF knowledge may be able to jump in if I’m wrong)

It’s not really an intentional thing to prevent tampering as far as I’m aware, but that could be a good side effect benefit.

For what it’s worth, Dangerous Things have a great track record and fantastic quality control. I believe every chip is tested prior to being loaded into the injector and being sterilised, so the chances of yours being faulty are slim-to-none. Install with confidence!

4 Likes

That’s cool then, I knew that would be the case but I just had to check before it’s too late!

Thanks for the reply

1 Like

Yes this is exactly right. The skin effect is interesting because it is possible to read an xEM or 125kHz chip while still in the needle, but only with special geometry antennas - like inserting the needle tip into the void in the center of a Halo reader for example… that works and you can typically read an xEM or xBT or NExT (the LF side anyway).

4 Likes