The amazing RFID office chair

Pretty much the same with the battery pack inside my safe, thought I’d get 3-6 days, I get 1.5

Yeah. I think there’s more marketing than actual amp-hours in that thing. It’s a cold weather car jumper with 12V and 19V outputs for laptops and a couple of USBs. It’s probably doing all sorts of voltage massaging in there, with Chinese electronics efficiency.

Maybe I’ll get me a 3S RC pack and a charger-balancer or something.

1 Like

Next step is to create a “dock” for the chair that you can roll it into at the end of the day and sit into and roll back to the desk in the morning :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

The real solution of course is an overhead pickup system with chicken wire on the ceiling, a mast on the chair and a conductive floorplate, like on dodgems :slight_smile:

Anyway, the chair sits unused since I’m off work. In fact, my office called and asked if they could reclaim the space temporarily for a university trainee they plan on onboarding soon. The chair might go into storage…

2 Likes

:smirk: :smirk:

Ok so here’s your office… your chair… the surgeon will be around shortly to install your access fob…

10 Likes

Oh I gotta tell my boss to tell him that.

Poor kid though… He’ll probably be like a deer in the headlights on his first day at a real workplace ever.

Also, the surgeon being Lassi… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but just in case I missed something… Has anybody ever come across data on the reliability of RFID tags that are continuously under power?

I power mine for hours on end every day. I’m wondering if reading the same EEPROM cells over and over for long periods of time will shorten the data retention period or something. It shouldn’t, but those chips were never designed to be used in such a way. They’re meant for intermittent use. So if they exhibit “read wear” of some kind. it’ll never show up in normal use, so most likely nobody has taken the time to test it - or even accounted for it in the design. But perhaps someone has… I couldn’t find anything though.

I have no info on constant reading life

But could you set it up so that on a good read it reads less often? Changing the duty cycle more or less

Granted you want “instant” lock when you leave…
but presuming you have your own office
(I think you’ve mentioned your doors)

It only needs to authentic in the time it takes you to get up and walk to your office door 15-20 seconds
And in theory the same time for someone to walk from your door to your computer

I’d like to set them so they read once per second - or even once every 5 seconds - but those Chinese parking garage readers read continuously, they take no commands, they can’t be setup, and the electronics are potted in a metric ton of epoxy. So basically they blast the RF field continuously and there’s nothing I can do about it.

I’m on the hunt for another, less dumb long range reader, but so far my searches haven’t turned up anything. I’ve also contacted the manufacturer of the ones I have, see if they’d be willing to change the firmware or let me change it (fat chance either way) but they haven’t answered me, unsurprisingly.

Oh and by the way, that’s not for my office. I ain’t at work these days. That’s for the reader in my sofa. It doesn’t really need to authenticate me as much as turn the TV on and such. I suppose I could just measure the weight on one of the sofa’s legs :slight_smile:

Pretty sure there is no effect from reads… writes are much more destructive, hence write counts are part of the memory specifications.

1 Like

In theory yes. But in real-life, I wonder if the charge at the gate leaks out faster with continuous reads. Especially if corners have been cut (read: the chip was optimized) to favor low-power operation by, say, reducing the thickness of the insulator or something.

I have no idea if any of what I’m conjecturing is even a thing. But as a long-time test engineer, I know stuff don’t always behave as designed, especially if you operate it outside specs.

1 Like

Ah! My implantee life is complete!

Work called because they couldn’t get into the main server, which is keyed to my chair - and the chair is still there even though it was supposed to go into storage. So I went to the office, turned the chair on and… no battery. But no matter: I’ll just enter my password… not: I forgot my password. Last time I typed it in was well over a year ago. Wow crap. Worse thing is, that’s exactly what I wanted.

Anyhow, I managed to find an ACR122U in my desk drawer, plugged that in, and one of the NFC implants in my hand let me in. Phew… Otherwise I’d have had to boot a rescue disk and reset the password by hand. Not great on a production machine…

5 Likes

You are a single point of failure… :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

What about a login option that sends a VivoKey chip scan challenge to your phone… got could scan anywhere in the world to auth the server login.

Why yes, what a great idea. That would be dandy. Only I’m waiting for a certain Vivokey chip that would let me do that, if you catch my drift hint hint nudge nudge say no more hey :slight_smile:

It is entirely possible that by the time it gets here, I’ll have retired :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t realize you were going to retire soon™.

Well, congratulations on your retirement @anon3825968 I hope you enjoy it. :rofl:

You know what? I know what you did there, and it’s funny. But then the way things are going these days, I’m also keenly aware that I might never retire (or at a very old age) since most countries have been pushing the mandatory retirement age faster than I’ve been able to age, so it’s also sadly eerily on the money - in the context of the DT Soon™ anyway…

1 Like

I’m with you, I am already at the point that some of my co workers are looking at early retirement. While I am wondering how long before they let me go and I am considered too old for the sort of work I do. It doesn’t help that if I don’t have things to do I get antsy.