The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

From my opinion it’s not really a problem with finding neat discoveries it is how it is presented as the next big revolution every. god. damn. time.

most discoveries in like battery technology take at least a decade to even become viable for manufacturing and a lot of them never even get that far because the biggest challenge is scaling it up for manufacture.

1 Like

Agreed with presentation
 in this case I simply read that labs can now make space magnets. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tom Scott (youtuber) is looking for help.

For posterity, and so I don’t have to type this all up again in the future, I submitted the following to him for a video idea;

My name is Amal Graafstra, and I’ve been using chip implant technology under my skin since 2005. I’ve written a book called RFID Toys (2007 Wiley Publishing) and started companies that design, manufacture, and retail human chip implants. The current feeling from the general public is that chip implants for humans is a bad idea, that somehow they compromise personal security and privacy, and that ultimately implants will result in some form of oppression. This is the idea that movies and TV shows promote endlessly - having a chip implant is a liability and never a good thing. Meanwhile, biometric systems are being deployed in everyday technologies used everywhere, but also totalitarian regimes like China, all without a second thought.

Biometrics pose the real danger to personal security and privacy, because the target can both be enrolled into and identified by the system, all without their knowledge or consent. In reality, biometrics are not secure enough to benefit you, but good enough at identifying people to be used by 3rd parties to identify you. Identification is not the same as authentication, and it has serious consequences for personal privacy and security.

On the other hand, a chip implant has the ability to, in essence, upgrade you as a human being, with powerful cryptographic capabilities. A passive transponder (NFC) device placed subdermally that can never be forgotten or lost, is upgradable with applications over the air via NFC from your smartphone, and provides standards based encryption capabilities like PGP, FIDO2 / Webauthn, OTP, HMAC, etc. all in a token that is frictionless to use and can’t be stolen because it was plugged into your laptop when your bag was taken by thieves
 there is power in merging a strong digital security token, and in essence, your digital identity itself, with your own biological identity. Devices like computers and phones cede their authority over your identity back to you, and become simple interfaces. Your critical identity credentials are now a part of you, and go where you go, not where your phone or computer goes.

Cryptography has been around a long time, but there is one reason it’s not widely used. Generally speaking, security and convenience are at odds with each other. Something that is secure is not typically convenient, and things which are convenient are not typically all that secure. Cryptography works, but it’s not terribly convenient to use. In particular, managing cryptographic keys and tokens is the crux of the problem. Not only is it a pain to haul around a token or carefully protect a key, which is essentially a long password you couldn’t possibly remember yourself
 but because cryptography works so well, if you lose your key or token, you lose access. This has become painfully apparent to many bitcoin wallet holders over the years.

A chip implant has the ability to break that paradigm because of it’s ability to perform strong cryptographic functions, including bitcoin and blockchain functions, all in a device that you can never lose and is always ready to go to work for you. In fact, some applications are only practical or possible if implemented with a chip implant. For example, I built a smartgun application, not because I love guns, but because I wanted to showcase how a smartgun could be made practical through the use of a chip implant. Smartguns have existed in the past, but it’s always been implemented with a wearable ring or bracelet of some kind, or biometrics which are terrible in this application for many reasons I won’t bother going into here. In essence, smartgun owners would have to wear on their body, 24/7, a fashion item designed by a gun company that also advertises the fact the person has a smartgun, all the time. Day and night. Many times, these rare smartgun owners would end up putting the authentication device into the gun safe with the smartgun because it was impractical to wear all the time. A chip implant is covert, nobody know you have one. It also requires not maintenance, no charging, no management. It’s always there and ready to authenticate you. In reality, with biometric technology at its current state, a chip implant is the only practical option for smartgun owners.

The personal health risks of having a chip implant are so benign I almost forgot to mention them. Getting a chip implant is less risky to your health than getting an ear piercing. A typical piercing requires two holes through tissue, hanging a piece of metal through the wound, waiting days for it to heal up around that metal, during which the risk of infection is quite high. A chip implant gets inserted through a needle procedure, with only a single incision made in the dermis. The incision itself is closed in a matter of hours, healed in days, and once closed the risk of infection drops to nominal.

Overall, my point here is that contemporary wisdom regarding chip implants vs biometrics is practically 180 from the reality. Biometrics are a horrible invasion of privacy with no security benefits for you, while chip implants have the power to improve your personal security and privacy through data encryption and strong authentication technologies that are always at the ready. Perhaps it’s time to take a clear look at this kind of subdermal technology and truly evaluate the risks and potential rewards of human chip implant technology.

14 Likes

Tom Scott is a great youtuber hope they do a video on this would be awesome.

9 Likes

I like this idea a lot! Definitely need to find an interesting clickbaity name, possibly delve more into the fun side of projects (learning to code, cool party trick for friends, business cards, etc.) with an implant.
I could see a title like: “Microchips in your body are not such a crazy idea after all” or something of that nature. I’d have to dwell on it a bit

4 Likes

I appreciate some of his content, but in general he seems to only go after stuff that can be popped easily

Rarely ever Talks about anything that’s good, or fixing anything

Victim of YouTuber algorithm if you ask me

3 Likes

Also
The selfless plug for his company in EVERY video got pretty tiresome very quickly.
So much so that I rarely watch his videos anymore.

He is still very skillful and knowledgeable and freely shares this, so I still appreciate that

2 Likes

Sponsorblock is a great plugin for your browser that deletes those types of in-video sponsorships/plugs if you haven’t tried that before. It’s great

4 Likes

I don’t mind his self sponsorship

Because honestly it’s probably half for income, and half because everyone constantly asks where they can buy X that he used

I dislike that the content has become the same thing over and over again

Comb pick, rake, magnet, bump

I think I just described 3/4 of his current channel

2 Likes

No I haven’t, thanks for the suggestion.

They are more comments than an advert.
Would it pick up on that?

eg. the video above @ 1:25

“Just leave the link in the comment”

His channel, his videos, his company
he can do what he wants, it just happens to be the reason why I don’t watch anymore

1 Like

Anybody know how the “Regular” badge works? I swear I had it a while ago, and recently noticed it missing, and just got it back again

It says “Trust Level 3”, but I figured someone here might know the actual criteria for that

1 Like

Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

To get to trust level 3, in the last 100 days

• Must have visited at least 50% of days
  • Must have replied to at least 10 different non-PM topics
  • Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
  • Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
  • Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
  • Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • Must not have been suspended or silenced in the last 6 months

Furthermore, unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status . If you dip below these requirements in the last 100 days, you will be demoted back to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Moving my gun safe next weekend with regular movers
 I tried desperately to keep it off anyone that isn’t in my trust circles radar
 but such is live when moving a safe

Part of moving it involves taking the door off and on twice, this is useful because since the door is usually 1/3 of the weight
 can make it more manageable, and removes some size with the turnbars out of the equation

In case you care on order of operations

Unlock and Take door off
Move safe body to truck
Move door to safe body on truck
Put back on Close and lock
(so door is held securely for transport)
Arrive at destination
Unlock and Take door off
Move safe body to destination
Move safe door to safe body
Put back on Close and lock

Anyways, brings up an interesting consideration, since I have to operate the lock a couple times

Should I put the generic keypad lock back on it for the day, to make it “normal”

Or keep it rfid only, and use my implants for cool points and maybe the illusion of security?

Amusing thoughts

2 Likes

Ooh, neat a scoresheet!

Thanks!

Also thanks to @StarGazer1258 for the discourse link

4 Likes

Help.

Honestly
 wtf. Is this 240v water heater 4500 watts or 9000 watts total?

Whoever did this needs hanging.

5 Likes

robot-facepalm2

2 Likes

Some googling seems to suggest that while it has two 4,500 watt elements (an upper and a lower), they aren’t hooked up for simultaneous operation, so the whole unit still only uses 4500 watts total at any given time

https://www.electrical-forensics.com/WaterHeaters/WaterHeaters.html

3 Likes

I found this in the manual.

3 Likes

Ok quality work! Thanks guys. To be safe I’ll allot 30A @ 240v form this unit.

4 Likes