The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

Amputee makes entirely mechanical hand

I can ask around, What is it you are wanting to know?

i’m thinking their keycards, which use a DESFire EV3 chip, don’t actually use any of the security features of the chips and just use literally the last 3 bytes of the UID only
 but I need someone with a Rivian and the keycards to do some testing and confirm some things for me.

1 Like

I gotta say, having this implant has had a weird benefit I was not expecting. I started to buy broken iPhone/Samsung lots on ebay and other sites, repairing them, and selling them for profit. Testing the NFC functionality is a lot easier when all I have to do is hold my hand to it :rofl:

4 Likes

Got the new SQL job. They finally gave me a query to write from the beginning. It involves parsing out memos that allegedly have an official format but looking at the first dozen made it clear that’s not enforced.

So I ask the really smart guy “is there any reason I shouldn’t use Rlike? Any performance issues or unexpected behaviors?”

And he tells me I shouldn’t because regex is hard, I don’t know it, and I’ll just spend forever tweaking what I wrote.

He sends me a starter query that has this:

,replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(upper(memotext),’ ‘,’‘),’-‘,’‘),’/‘,’‘),’',‘’),‘_’,‘’),‘.’,‘’)

to try to fish out formatting inconsistencies. Eventually he has a 17 line query that returns 36 results.

My four line query I wrote before I asked him gets the exact same results and doesn’t change the final output from that column and still works if some weirdo decided to use a colon instead of a space or whatever. And being 100% transparent all I’m using is the more advanced wildcards that Rlike allows. I’m not doing anything fancy.

So I’m sticking with mine because he needs to figure out that “I don’t think you’re skilled enough” is not a reason for me to not do something. I don’t know regex but I know what the logic should look like to get what I want. Learning the written bit is easy from there. That’s literally how I learned to use SQL.

I need to find some way to tell him I appreciate his willingness to help but if I ask a question he needs to answer that and not try to make me do things his way.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Flipper Zero - Kickstarter RFID/RF/BLE/USB/IR

Do a quantitative analysis to show performance gains and try to toss in some outliers. His concern is unintended consequences (a la regex)
 so show that it’s not regex and there should be no unintended results.

If he gets pissy, congratulations you have a shit boss.

3 Likes

Oh it’s going to come up again. This one is probably too simple to get a read on performance gains
 But I’m rebuilding another dashboard and all the SQL in it and the original has 23 lines of nearly identical ‘like’ statements to try to get all the right accounts. I promise I can clean that up and it’ll definitely see gains in performance. That one is a whole mess and takes forever and I know they miss things due to how they wrote it.

It’s really funny because I was specifically asking him if there were any performance issues or unintended behavior I should be aware of. Because that’s a place where having a lot of experience is super helpful. You get to know what does and doesn’t work. But “Don’t do it because you don’t know enough” is not a reason.

It’s even sillier because he was the one during the interview where we had the exchange “Do you know any python” and I went “not really.” Then he asked if I would look at some and try to tell him what it was doing. So I did. I was wrong about literally everything I said. But it didn’t stop me from trying.

I think he means well. He takes pushback well and he’s always willing to help. But I get real annoyed by being told I can’t do something just because I don’t already know how to do it. How the fuck else do I learn?

Everyone on the team is good, but even good people can have annoying traits. That’s just one where he and I keep not communicating well. Eventually he will hopefully get a feel for how I work and learn that it doesn’t matter if I know how to do it or not. Only technical issues or deadlines will stop me from trying.

2 Likes

Would anybody like to try and unscramble this

GONADUSER NIGHTS

4 Likes

DANGEROUS THINGS

I raise you this to descramble: :slight_smile:

amwrwzg.aqk/yyvaj?t=ztHXlm5ReI0

2 Likes

Something tells me that it’s a link to the rickroll that you’ve got under your skin

3 Likes

that was my guess also

4na7bs

3 Likes

I don’t see very many situations where “Don’t because you don’t know enough” is valid. Certainly not in the IT field.

1 Like

I occasionally train people professionally. “You don’t know enough”, is always followed by “This is how you do it, now repeat until you get it.”

2 Likes

Right? Like the information is all there on Google and I’m taking care enough to check I can’t straight up break everything
 Part of the reason I asked is because I don’t see it in use in other queries where I think it should be used. If he was like “yeah when I port it into python for automation, it will stop working. So we can’t use it for automated projects.” That’s a concern I thought might be valid
 He was like just “regex can get really complicated really fast and you can get stuck troubleshoot it forever.”

I even said during the interview I use Google a lot to find the best way to do stuff. I want to learn. I don’t want to stagnate where I am. And they are trying to teach me different things
 By having me watch them do stuff over teams, a way I actively can’t learn. They also don’t want me to stagnate with my current skill set.

I think we will all eventually come to an understanding but it’s going to be really frustrating until then. Probably for them as well. I will learn things out of spite. I’m incredibly bullheaded. It’s my defining trait. I’ve had friends warn prospective managers about me before they hired me. So I try to understand it goes both ways. I always become very good at whatever my job is. That’s the trade off.

And as much as I am frustrated by things like this, I like the team I’m on. So once we get past the growing pains I think it will all come together nicely.

1 Like

That’s a great way to do it. Like at the point someone is aware something is possible, teach them the better way. Give them resources. Bonus points if it’s in a way they can learn well. :green_heart::blue_heart::brown_heart::black_heart::white_heart::brown_heart::sparkling_heart::blue_heart::heart::heart:

Totally different kind of training environment, but what was pounded in my head, and I pound into students heads

“You don’t know what you don’t know”

4 Likes

Explosives? Nuclear engineering?

6 Likes

High risk situations definitely apply :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @amal, the second datasheet link on this page is broken, it’s missing the D in DangerousThings, just so you know:

1 Like