inserts smartphone
ā€œI got the worlds most powerful implant! Including 5G capability!ā€

2 Likes

ā€¦yet?

Itā€™s THE implant?

An OUTplant? (Exo)

An UNPlant?

2 Likes

I assume a big part of Apexā€™ magic will come from the community. Though Iā€™m sure there will be how tos for basic stuff like setting up OTP at release.

Since itā€™s a fidesmo enabled card using off the shelf applets is easy. You literally pick the applet to install in the fidesmo app and hold your phone over your Apex, wait a second, done.

Then in the case of OTP you use yubico Authenticator. Youā€™d go to e.g. GitHub settings activate OTP, scan that QR code and again tap your Apex. After then whenever you login to GitHub you open this Authenticator app, tap your Apex and enter the generated OTP as second factor.

1 Like

I still get conniptions whenever someone uses ā€œOTPā€ in a positive light, because Iā€™m a bare metal programming kinda person so OTP means ā€œone-time programmableā€ bits, which can brick things. Whereas youā€™re a abstract software kinda person so OTP means ā€œone-time passwordā€ which is a good thing

4 Likes

trueā€¦ should be TOTP technically speakingā€¦ though HOTP also appliesā€¦ though nobody uses that because it sucks.

Anyone else seen the Steam Deck by Valve? Seems like a pretty good deal for the pure hardware, $399 for the base model for a handheld Linux gaming PC. Thereā€™s 2 other storage tiers, 256GB and 512. The 256GB and 512 models both have NVMe for storage, with the 512GB having the fastest SSD.

Apparently the new SteamOS is just Arch-based.

Really curious what else will be able to be done with it, since itā€™s just a handheld full PC. It just uses type-C USB, completely open. Can use standard docking stations, or just plug right into it.

They opened pre-order reservations today for $5, I threw down a reservation for the 512GB model. Supposed to release either December of this year, or Q1 2022. Figure that gives me more than enough time to save.

Canā€™t wait to use my proxmark with it :laughing:

1 Like

That was one of my first thoughts too! :+1:

I love how itā€™s a PC and not just a console. I was thinking of getting a Switch soon but I will definitely be grabbing one of these instead. Going for the 256GB model. I figured Iā€™d just get the 64GB version and tack on a decent sized micro SD card for added storage, but then load times would probably be abysmal.

Absolutely stoked to play (almost) all my PC games on my couch and save my back some trouble :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the 64GB is just too small. I really like that you could also just plug in a type C SSD or HDD when itā€™s docked, and instantly have more storage.

Hell, my friend brought up the idea of trying to do network storage via NFS, curious if that would work (especially with AC wifi).

It seems like a way better deal than the switch, especially with the new 64GB OLED switch only being $50 less than the base model Steam Deck. I actually sold my switch a few months ago, I just wasnā€™t getting much use out of it. It didnā€™t have a lot of my type of games, but with this Iā€™ll be able to play my 400 game steam library that Iā€™ve built up over the last 10+ years, along with any other Linux games I have.

Canā€™t wait for mobile Factorio and KSP :heart:

1 Like

Yep Factorio and Oxygen Not Included are gonna be much easier to play for hours and hours while laying down :laughing:

Itā€™s all the portability I wanted from the Switch but with the added bonus of playing the games that I actually enjoy instead of saying ā€œhmm yes I guess I will get my ass kicked in Super Smash Bros again tonightā€

2 Likes

Whatā€™re your thoughts on that? Thought about getting it a few times, looks right up my alley.

1 Like

I think it would be a killer game without it

:dad_joke:

1 Like

Oh itā€™s alright I guessā€¦ Iā€™ve only played 35 hours in the last weekā€¦ :laughing:

From what Iā€™ve seen so far itā€™s an absolutely incredible game! It looks beautiful, it sounds beautiful (seriously the SFX when you queue actions/choose items/select an area are just so fun and donā€™t get annoying, and the music is superb), and your colonists (Duplicants or ā€œDupesā€ for short) are cute lilā€™ guys with positive and negative traits that actually affect the game.

The game has about a dozen different maps which all (aside from the base map) add additional challenges to make the game harder. For reference I havenā€™t even tried any of the other maps because Iā€™m still learning about the game even after 30+ hours. You can also change different parameters around to make the game harder or easier (make the Dupes hungrier so they consume more food per day, make them more or less prone to disease, make them more or less prone to stress, etc).

I will say that when I make some grand mistake that ruins my colony, Iā€™m excited to start a new map and avoid the mistakes I made in the previous run while also improving other aspects of my base that werenā€™t as efficient as they could have been. In games like Factorio and Prison Architect, making a huge f*** up kinda ruins my fun with the game for a while.

They just released a much needed QoL update yesterday, which improved some aspects of the UI and the AI prioritization scheme, restructured the tech tree to improve the flow and logical progression, and made the game more realistic by having toxic gases and liquids cause more harm to your Dupes (they also nerfed Atmo Suits which were very OP prior to the update, they now require upkeep).

Anyways, I probably havenā€™t even played around with half of the content in the game and I am enjoying it greatly. Iā€™d definitely recommend it to you or anyone here who enjoys Factorio, Prison Architect, RimWorld, and other colony management sims!

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer! Definitely gonna get it next chance I get.

1 Like

I pre-ordered one! Iā€™m really excited about it!

1 Like

I think Iā€™m living in an alternate reality or something.

Today I did overtime at work to finish up some parts in the workshop, seeing as though my finger is getting opened up tomorrow for the flexNT and I donā€™t want to be doing machining for a couple weeks to let it settle and find its space properly.

A workmate popped by to ask why I was still here instead of going home for the week-end. I explained I was getting new implants tomorrow and I wanted to get the parts done today. ā€œOh yeah? Where you getting them?ā€ he asked. Then later another one came, I explained again, and ā€œCool! What features will those implants have?ā€ was the reacion (they guy is 63 and very old fashioned, but a bit of a geek), Then a third, I explained again, and he replied ā€œOh yeah, better let your hand rest for a while. Good idea.ā€

Very matter-of-fact, casual-like, just like it was the most normal thing in the world. I would have gotten exactly the same sort of conversation if I had said I was getting the new Playstation. Of course, all my colleagues know Iā€™m into this and they see me use the implants at work all day every day, so itā€™s nothing new to them. Still, it feels so weird to not have to justify myself, or get judgment calls, or explain what an implant is. It was justā€¦ normal.

It must be what the future feels like :slight_smile:

8 Likes

The goal of biohacking is to come up with efficient, practical solutions such that they become contemporaryā€¦ and thus no longer a hack. Itā€™s interesting to consider this is actually happeningā€¦ however limited at the moment.

It must have something to do with Finland. The Finnsā€™ approach to anything is: if itā€™s not harmful, do what you want, they donā€™t mind. And theyā€™re very practical: if something seems like a good idea, they embrace it. Implants tick both. Still, as a foreigner, itā€™s a novel experience for me.

Indeed. I think a lot of people tend to have existential fears and assign those fears to things they donā€™t understand like chip implantsā€¦ so their definition of ā€œharmfulā€ pretty much includes any black box they donā€™t understandā€¦ as in ā€œit could be harmful to me now or in the futureā€

Yeah thereā€™s that, and also people who think they know better than you whatā€™s harmful to you and go out of their way to prevent you from hurting yourself - or give you an earful if they canā€™t.