The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

That is most definitely not what Iā€™m advocating.

What Iā€™m saying is this: in a fictitious land where the elected critters strive to serve their constituents, theyā€™d look at Googleā€™s, Facebookā€™s, Amazonā€™s, Akamaiā€™s, CloudFlareā€™s shenanigans and they would say:

ā€œOkay, enough is enough. This doesnā€™t serve the people. From now on, the only cookies allowed without opt-in are session cookies. Period. The rest (ā€œadvanced preferencesā€ aka tracking, advertising, profiling) is strictly opt-in, people have to opt-in again after 3 months, and companies have maintain clear records that the users have agreed to being dataraped. And itā€™s strictly audited, and hefty fines ensue if the books donā€™t square up.ā€

Of course, it ainā€™t what happened. What you have now is an option to opt-out of dataraping thatā€™s so annoying and so obnoxious that no-one uses it, and nobody to ensure the companies actually respect the choices of the suckers who go through the opt-out rigmarole. Itā€™s a fucking joke.

With that in mind, it was better before the GDPR: you got shafted too but it was seamless.

The problem is, if you clear your cookies, each time you come back, youā€™re greeted by the obnoxious fake privacy-friendly GDPR-compliant popup in which - if youā€™re mad I guess - you have to spend another 2 minutes manually opting out of all the things you donā€™t want. If you clear your cookies every hour like I do, or at each browser close, thatā€™s a lot of 2 minutes youā€™ll never get back.

Iā€™m just going to leave this here: https://www.enforcementtracker.com/

1 Like

Yep :wink:

Nope :wink:
Actually, one of my addons (not sure if uBlock or Noscript) does most of it for me - I click on ā€œonly selected cookiesā€ or the like, a window pops up, and all cookies except for the necessary ones are already opted-out. So yep, itā€™s two clicks more. The time I get too lazy for thatā€¦ well. I am used to dialing in via modem, so Iā€™m not too impatient :wink:

Iā€™d love that to happen. I highly doubt it ever will, but again - if nobody speaks up against it, what reason should governments have to change something? Like, if everyoneā€™s okay with being dataraped, they would be stupid to stand up against the big companies. But if enough people say they are not okay with such practices, maybe they, at some point, have to act.

I guess what Iā€™m trying to say is that the government doesnā€™t give a flying fuckaroonie about your opinion because they serve corporate interests first and foremost. Less in Europe - as in, much less - Iā€™ll agree. But even in Europe, legislators are very, very careful not to annoy certain select interest groups.

Thatā€™s totally true, and Iā€™m aware of that. But parties are also scared of losing votes, not as much, but still. And especially in Germany, public pressure can actually change some things. Not always, maybe not even often, but the chance is there, and I think if you are not okay with something, itā€™s always a good idea to state that. Otherwise, nothing would ever change at allā€¦ :wink:

Interesting. Iā€™ll have to look into that. Iā€™m still dubious about GDPR enforcement being based on anything but self-reporting by the companies concerned though. I mean I very much doubt GDPR officials show up unannounced at datacenters across Europe, flash their badge and demand total access to the facilities for the purpose of auditing. And if they do, itā€™s probably 15 guys for the whole of Europe, meaning offending companies have a very low probability of getting caught.

Tell you what: if I ever see mention of something positive happening as a result of that petition, Iā€™ll send you a case of our local hooch :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a bit to do with the DSGVO (German variant of the GDPR), and I know they actually do that. They take a look at how you store the data you collect, digital and analogue as well, and the fines are heftyā€¦

Accepted! :smile:
Though we might have to agree on something less alcoholicā€¦ might sound boring, but I donā€™t drink. I mean, alcohol :wink:

We are way past the point of no return thereā€¦ but I would say there are a few optimal paths ahead:

• A whole nation/world wide mindset change (talk Pollyanna on steroids here). Although any bit of improvement towards this path is already a good improvement. Hence why I said I like the initiative anyway, even if only because it helps more people grow aware of it

• Cold turkey no-surveilance. be it through guerrilla tactics, mindset, revolution, etcā€¦ whatever the means, we might achieve a no-surveilance state. Not to believe there will actually be zero surveillance. People of interest will still be tracked. Yet there wonā€™t be mass surveilance anymore. Even though I hate to admit, but panopticism has been proven to work as a deterrent for minor criminal activity over and over. So the price to pay to make it harder for ā€œthe big manā€ to track you, is to make it less safe for the small shop ownerā€¦ Not judging what is worth here, just pointing out that there would be a shift in balance between both those poles.

• Acceptance of Full surveillance.

This last one is a bit more controversial and complex, so Iā€™ll expand it here:

• The most obvious benefit here comes in boosting up the good uses of surveillance (such as in criminal investigations and increased passive safety).

• The ā€œbad effectsā€ of mass surveillance would not be anything new. They already exist. So increasing surveilance all around would not be so much of a factor, since it will grow anyway no matter what we want.

• So there would also be an advantage here where people would be aware that there is constant surveillance, so they would be able to identify and react against misuse of such.

• Also another advantage is data pollution. If everywhere is monitored all the time, apart from persons-of-interest, our individual data would become anonymised by the sheer volume of data.

• This anonymisation happens because ultimately misuse of this type of data boils down to a simple question: ā€œis the cost of sorting all this data less than the profit we make from the results?ā€. Then the larger the data that needs to be sorted, the higher the cost. The more data that exists out there, the lesser itā€™s profits are. So ā€œflooding the marketā€ could actually reduce the misuse as well.

I am aware this is counter-intuitive, but as I said, we are already past a point of no return.

No matter what actions we take to stop data collection or mass surveillance, malicious actors will always still be able to track you or your data if they want to.

So I believe that by shattering the illusion that we can live ā€œuntrackedā€ would actually allow people to push back against misuse.

Immagine this scenario:

Today. someone comes to you stating that ā€œI know they are tracking me. I pissed off an important person and they tracked me through traffic cameras and used the fact that I went to a gay bar to get me fired off my jobā€.
Most people would just disregard that person as paranoid.

Now imagine the same discourse, 5 years from now, in a society where everyone is aware that there are resources in place to enable such tracking.
That person might then be taken seriously, instead of treated as a paranoid. an Investigation would have to be launched, and they could find out that it was indeed misuse of power at play, so that person could have itā€™s justice.

The example I took is very possible to happen today. You donā€™t need to change anything on current state of monitoring to make that be plausible.

Alsoā€¦

We already live in a world where itā€™s easier to escape monitoring by overfeeding it than by hiding from it.
For exampleā€¦ If I make myself appear in a camera in 2 different places at the same time, while my cellphone is pinging a transmission tower 3 miles away from bothā€¦ I just rendered all the monitoring anyone would have on me useless.

If I attempt to hide from every monitoring, throw away all my electronics, live off grid, have no bank accountsā€¦ then you might take a selfie while on a bus and I show up on the backgroundā€¦ bingo! Iā€™m back on being trackable!

Just as a first little statement - I obviously disagree on this point, otherwise I wouldnā€™t sign such petitions :wink:

You know all those videos showing crimes? Shoplifting, people attacking others, all this stuff? The fact that you can see them proves that the cameras obivously didnā€™t prevent them :wink:
I work in a shop. We had cameras. We ā€œcaughtā€ criminals on them. Yeahā€¦ but we didnā€™t catch any of them ā€œin real lifeā€. People who know of cameras and want to commit crimes usually know very well how to avoid themā€¦
Iā€™m pretty sure there is no way that surveillance might lead to the tiniest bit of more safety at all.

I think, since technology is constantly advancing, it will be very easy to process a lot of data with very little effortā€¦ most probably, it already is. Flooding it might help in the beginning or with rather special cases (like my often-mentionend TOR browserā€¦), but ultimately, technology will keep up with that - and if we decided to just go for mass surveillance at that point, we might be in real trouble.

edit: oh, I know we are trackable already, by several means. Iā€™m just totally against adding more methods to thatā€¦^^

1 Like

There is a third way - one that Iā€™ve been practising for decades: itā€™s called poisoning the well. You feed false information right and left to confuse the system. The nice thing with that one is, you can test if it works for yourself. For instance, when I create an account somewhere, I use a fake name. If I have to use my real name, I feed it an incorrect middle initial, and/or I tack on II, III or IV. Or I use an incorrect date of birth. Most importantly, I log which creds I plugged where. That way, when I get spam, birthday specials or junk mail in my mailbox, I know which sumbitch sold my data to whom.

And then thereā€™s a fourth way, which I use a lot also: pattern grooming. I have an ā€œofficialā€ life that has very repeating, very boring patterns. I always use a certain card to pay for groceries, always at the same places, always roughly at the same times of the day. I go to and from work with the same cellphone in my pocket using the same routes. All very boring. For anything else, I use wads of cash and a burner phone (harder these days) or bum someone elseā€™s phone, and I wear different clothes / glasses, or I shave. AIs (and before that, people) are trained to spot things that are out of the ordinary. All it takes is feeding them a lot of ordinary and do the extraordinary another way.

I count that as what I called ā€œoverfeeding itā€.

And you are correct. it works wonders!!

I do a very similar thing using a catch-all on an e-mail address I own and host. Each place I register I use a slightly different e-mail. So whenever I get spam there I know exactly who sold my data to whom.

I love me some burner SIMs. Each service that requires a phone number to be entered gets a new SIM. some I wait to register to when I go to another city.

There is just so much you can do to pollute the data and render your tracking data ā€œriddled with doubtā€ā€¦

Then I ask you, mostly driven by the hopes of being persuaded into your point of view, how you think we can actually get rid of monitoring?

When I state that we are past the point of no return itā€™s based on the following points:

• We already gather so much data that Machine-learning algorythms are nescessary for making sense of most of it. Thus we already have leads of research going into that field.

• Even if we shut down any funding for monitoring this will not stop. We can assume that by watching whatā€™s going on with the analogous ā€œdataā€ industry. Even in the midst of the GDPR crisis, and with the data industry at itā€™s most shameful moment, I can see that there are every day more job offers requiring those specific skills.

• assuming then that there will be a massive increase on the involvement of AI on sorting data (and that will happen regardless of laws, as we see happening already), then all that I would need to be able to track you is ā€œdataā€.

• even if you remove cameras from the streets, we still have all the cameras people carry around. We have all the photos people post on social media. We have people carrying their own tracking devices (phones) with them. We have proven apps that listen to the audio around them. We have cameras on secure points, such as ATMs, which you wonā€™t convince the banks to removeā€¦

• The data I need to track and monitor you is already available, even if you remove all the street cameras. The only thing is that you make it ā€œharder to come byā€ with that tracking.

• Yet at the same time, making it harder to come by, and reducing the amount of data available, we are lowering the costs of sorting it and raising the final priceā€¦ Thus acting as an incentive for malicious actors.

And the way technology and social media are evolving, I see only more and more channels of ā€œtrackable dataā€ emerging.

Hence why I still believe we are past the point of no return.

Unless we can get rid of all the social media and portable electronics as well.

I once saw a demo of an algorythm able to track all the activities of a test subject during a day in LA utilising only open public instagram & Tiktok data from random accounts.
This is tech from couple years ago already.

There is a fallacy there!

The fact that cameras do not prevent all the crimes is not a statement that they do not prevent any crimes.

Itā€™s better if you look into petty crime reports in areas before and after cameras are installed.

It does not stop crime. but does reduce a number of minor offences.

Yes, but at the same time we grow the number of inlets of data at a much faster rate.

letā€™s use random numbers just for an example.

Letā€™s say that now we have 1GB of data easily available, but we can only sort through 100Mb in a timely efficient manner.

Give it a couple more years and we will advance enough those AIs to sort 1Gb of data just as efficiently.

Thing is that if left unchecked, we would then be producing 1TB of data. because more and more data inlets will be created.

So the only way I see data processing catching up is either if we achieve quantum computing, or if we halt the creation of data inlets.

(Even if we achieve quantum computingā€¦ so much more would change, so much faster than anyone would be able to develop an algorythm to make use of thatā€¦)

I do get your point!
And I am aware that what Iā€™m stating is very counter-intuitiveā€¦

But ultimately I believe that the only way to disrupt tracking is by actually adding more methods to it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :exploding_head:

Hard to tell, Iā€™m honest. But I still hope if we can raise awareness for this topic, people would at least start to careā€¦
Funny thing - Whatsapp recently had a cute little popup that informed the users about ā€œchangesā€ to the privacy. And all of a sudden (though nothing really changed at all), people where abandoning Whatsapp and switching to (sometimes) safer alternatives, just because it was all out in the media. Not the perfect example, considering lots of people went to Telegram instead, but still - with the right publicity, suddenly things can change. And thatā€™s the thing I hope for. That people become a bit more aware, and finally decide that some things going on are simply not okay. Thatā€™s a very optimistic thought, I am totally aware of that, but it still feels a lot better than resignatingā€¦ yep, hedonistic reasons again :wink:

Sure, but saying ā€œwe already have some cameras, so letā€™s add tons moreā€ doesnā€™t feel like the right way to deal with it. It would be near impossible to remove all cameras, so maybe just remove all those that are not necessary? :wink:
There is a club in Berlin with strict no-photo-agenda - if you want to enter, they put little stickers on your smartphone cams. And people happily obeyā€¦ (yeah I get it, you could take the stickers off again once youā€™re in the club, but you would get kicked out immediately)

Okay, I agree that they might prevent some crimes, but at what cost? Like, if someone really wants to do ā€œbad stuffā€, they wonā€™t keep him from doing it. Like door locks - they keep people out, but if someone really wants to get in, they just kick in the window. I still vote for door locks, donā€™t get me wrong, but unlike cameras, those little guys donā€™t pose a thread to anyone :wink:
On the other hand, cameras might very well prevent people from going out and partaking in demonstrations or such, so more surveillance might lead to less democracy. And I still like that old saying that you should never sacrifice freedom to gain security, or you might lose bothā€¦

Right on with you on that boat!

Actually Whatsapp had that same popup showing up quite a few times recently, and in none of those times it made any difference.

What initiated this massive migration away from Whatsapp was not itā€™s data warning, but rather Elon Muskā€™s tween about Telegram being better.

But then, this is still another topic in favour of my pointL: now people believe they are safer. believe that they ā€œdid their partā€, thus we have less leverage to make things actually better than before the change.

Itā€™s ā€œPanis et Circiā€ all over again:

• If nothing gets done, things become so shitty that we explode, revolt, and some things get fixed.
  • If some radical action is taken against the ones questioning current state, you have a Martir.
  • If we put on a show and let people think they got what they wanted, then the pressure vents off, nothing changes, but people are happily believing it did.

I agree with you there!

Main point where I think we differ is that I donā€™t see ā€œembracing full surveilanceā€ as ā€œresignatingā€. I see that as a conscious move to take back control.

That would be a smokescreen.
And then, who is to say that a camera is necessary or not?

Going on that direction would cause people to squabble over trivial matters and shift the focus away from the real matter at hand.

Immagine I then want a camera pointing at my door, but you are my neighbour and donā€™t want a camera at your door. we would start arguing about that, instead of uniting to act against actual misuse of surveilance.

Here is a great point about the counter intuitiveness of my arguments.

Iā€™m not stating that surveilance is a good thing.

If weā€™re talking about a place where there is zero surveillance, then we would add a camera to prevent some petty theftsā€¦ then the cost is a massive breach of privacy for everyone else! It is a huge cost which makes it not worth it.

But once we realize that the absence of a camera does not imply in absence of tracking. And that peopleā€™s habits in that shop are already being tracked, regardless of there being a camera there or notā€¦

Then that new camera will prevent some pet theft, at zero cost.

Agree that this is something we must avoid.
And that is where I believe that if we are awere that there is surveillance, we might better react to it than if we illude ourselves that the problem ā€œis goneā€ because we can see less cameras. :wink:

Wow this thread has stayed silent for 3 days. I think thatā€™s a new record.

1 Like

Well, I have had a question all day, so get ready.

In America, if you are arrested for something, they can seize your assets.

If I have an Apex implanted and that is where I store my crypto (through fismodo if I understand right) and I get arrested, they want to seize all my assets.

Letā€™s assume, They know that is where I keep my bitcoin and stuff, prosecution has great evidence gathering. Iā€™ve been ordered to give all my crypto to them/ordered to give them the right to scan it/etc.

What if I say no.

My question is, what do yall think would happen?

1 Like

That would be a historic court case for sure. Theyā€™d probably force you to scan it or even cut it out?
Iā€™m predestined to wonder if theyā€™d remove implants period before sending you to jail.
Like say you had your implants listed on your medical record, could they force you to remove them before locking you up?
Or if you had enough implants to set off a medical detector, could that be problematic?

1 Like

Would they remove a titanium hip because you can sharpen it into a shank?

I personally view them both as extentions of me.

Not saying you are right or wrong, just been on my mind today.

Touche, but I feel like something installed surgically to increase quality of life might differ from our use case slightly. Iā€™d also argue our implants wouldnā€™t really have much malicious use in prison anyway. But I have no clue :smile:

Titanium hip=RFID implant=glowing silicone=hearing implant
All are installed surgically also in my book, just different levels of it.

Quality of life increasing is subjective I feel.

Just a malicious example of an implant. Not the main point. Well, here I am playing devils advocate. Say they decide you canā€™t remove an implant. So person A. Intentionally goes to jail with stuff implanted, and once in, cuts it out to sell or w/e.

2 Likes