The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

1 Like

“this makes me angry because I don’t understand it” 
 probably the second best way to define humanity I’ve ever heard.

2 Likes

If nobody else is going to bite :fishing_pole_and_fish:

“Hey Amal, what is THE best way to define humanity you have heard?”

I wonder if it is the same as mine :man_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

Haha actually it’s my own thoughts on what defines humanity
 so often I’m asked if getting chips or augmenting brains with neuralink will “change what it means to be human” but honestly I think as long as we retain our curious wonder, we will always be “human”.

I would argue as long as our DNA stays what we currently define as human.

No telling what interstellar, living on Mars, earth’s atmosphere collapsing, and letting radiation change us in general will do to us.

But our genome is constantly changing bit by bit, we aren’t static
When do you define where “human” and “not human”

1 Like

Simple. You don’t define “not human”

5 Likes

its why i went conceptual rather than physical :slight_smile:

1 Like

Humanity is proof that mother nature can get cancer too.

2 Likes

We’re just crappy bootloaders for robotic AI creatures. Not cancer, just not done with our task yet.

2 Likes

We’ll have fucked up this planet before our robotic offsprings have a chance to inhabit it.

1 Like

I really hope you’re wrong.

I hate to say it, but you’ll see it happen in your lifetime, sadly.

1 Like

I don’t think the robotic explorers we leave behind will have much concern for the “habitability” of the planet. That’s an us problem.

I’d agree the timescales are decades, not centuries now. We’ve already proven we can’t be trusted to accomplish solutions related to mass behavioral change while we’re under the thumb of moneyed despots. I wouldn’t despair though. We’ll just inch closer and closer to considering riskier solutions like direct intervention in the climate system through technologies. Probably not a great idea since “equilibrium” is not a particular strong suit of ours, but we’ll try pretty much anything to avoid being exterminated by our predecessors’ hubris.

1 Like

What I meant was that human society will degenerate into a neverending warring species over the remnants of cheap fossil energy and the easy lifestyle we’ve known since WWII long before our robotic successors come to exist. This is 15 to 20 years away at the most. AIs won’t be ready to take over and carry on our legacy by then.

Hmmmm
 I like that point of view, but I have to disagree a bit :wink:
A sense of curious wonder is very present among other animals as well, so it doesn’t really define “being human” (my humble opinion, of course).
I think it’s not really possible to define “human” if that word is used to separate us from “animal”. We’re not really different, except for the pessimistic (but true) points @anon3825968 stated - we’re able and willing to destroy the world we live on, that’s something pretty unique in nature.
I think it’s more fitting to define “human” as a sub-species of “animal”, just like “dog”, “cat” or “magnetic worm”. And similar to dogs, humans are there in many shapes and forms and a big diversity, though it’s all still “human”. I mean, how would you define “being a dog”? Guess the same rules would apply to “being human”, if properly adjusted.

2 Likes

Decided to reply to my comment from 16 days ago
 I got the vaccine today!

Had to drive an hour and 45 minutes away to the other side of the state, but I managed to get an appointment. The rest of the state was booked up through the next few weeks (good thing I guess, doses are being used). Got the Pfizer vaccine.

That means my entire immediate family has now gotten at least 1 dose, with about half getting their second dose in the next 3 days

giphy (2)

5 Likes

“The end is in sight” might be some false hope

I expect a decent backlash or reaction once majority are vaccinated and there’s a spike in cases once people go back to “normal”

Not saying normal isn’t possible, but I don’t think covid can ever go away fully
 and there’s a decent chunk of the population that I worry now expect precautions until it is gone for ever

1 Like

Well
 I bought two domains yesterday :joy: :rofl::

(For those who don’t know me, I’m very gay, and also prone to spending money on ‘dumb’ things)

Thanks @NiamhAstra for the initial suggestion!

Now what to do with them
 maybe some rainbow themed pages or diy link shortener.

8 Likes